Share Animal Pictures: For Animal Lovers

  • Thread starter Thread starter micromass
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Animal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3,073 replies · 328K views
BillTre said:
What about salmon? They navigate.
Navigation is a general animal ability. The goldfish is just doing it in an unlikely manner.
Could they learn to do so if in a fish bowl equipped with the kind of technology that the gold fish were using in the video? If so, then, I would become very poorly justified to eat salmon.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They probably could. Goldfish are not considered the smartest of fish.

Furthermore I would expect all domesticated mammals would be able to do similar things.

Even furthermore I would expect most animals that move around in their environment would have an internal map (in their nervous system) on their outside world that would allow them to navigate their surrounding in an adaptive manner. (where adaptive means functionally advantageous to them).
 
1717601293652.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds, Rive, symbolipoint and 3 others
This little guy decided to crash land in the middle of the parking lot at work… so I relocated him somewhere safer.
IMG_3062.jpeg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII, OCR, Rive and 3 others
Why am I not surprised there's something like that in Australia?

Yo jaws, you talkin to me?
 
Humans provided a new niche for wolves to slip into.
To fully take advantage of this new niche, mutant wolves were selected that got along better with and were more useful to people and they gradually became dogs.
Could they return to and thrive in their original environment? Some dogs can go feral, many probably can't.
That's what they "gave up" evolutionarially, but they have drastically expanded the niches they could utilize and have even gone to space.
Similar things could be said of our gut bacteria., but they changed less.
 
fresh_42 said:
A friend of mine has put it this way: "Imagine what they [dogs] have given up [evolutionary]!"
Very romantic, but the truth is, that what they 'gave up' was apparently almost-extinction.

Does anybody knows what was the ancestors of chickens?
What did they 'gave up'?
 
There are other videos like that showing a dog with a long stick it cannot move through a passageway. Nice smart dogs but just do not understand to change the angle. It makes one wonder if a wolf could do it.
 
symbolipoint said:
There are other videos like that showing a dog with a long stick it cannot move through a passageway. Nice smart dogs but just do not understand to change the angle. It makes one wonder if a wolf could do it.
I think we would have serious trouble talking a wolf into such a senseless task. The funny part of the video was that the branch was presumable as heavy as the dog was.
 
symbolipoint said:
There are other videos like that showing a dog with a long stick it cannot move through a passageway. Nice smart dogs but just do not understand to change the angle. It makes one wonder if a wolf could do it.
See here, starting at 1.19.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, phinds, Borg and 2 others
From this morning's walk:

IMG_4715.jpg


I hadn't seen anything in this pasture for many years. Looks like its owner finally decided to re-enter the cattle/dairy business.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive, collinsmark, phinds and 2 others
I have some of these masks left. Now I need a parrot! Two parrots! I mean, a pair of parrots, male and female! And just as I think about it, Keas! I need a pair of Keas!
(We have so many neobiota here: raccoons, greater rhea, nutria, golden jackal, etc. We even have red-necked wallabies and many wild Alexandrine parakeets! But I'm still waiting for someone to release Keas!)


 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and berkeman