Shear flow along a triangular member

In summary, the conversation is discussing the shear flow q(s) as a function of the length coordinate s in a triangular section. The location of the shear center suggests that the section is open at point O. The value of q(0) is being determined, with one participant suggesting that it is a constant and the other suggesting that it may be the total shear flow at point O. The conversation also includes a diagram of the section and equations for q(s) and Q(s).
into space

Homework Statement

hHgZXA8.png

UpGiDPi.png

Homework Equations

qs1(0)=qs3(5)
qs2(0)=qs1(5)
qs3(0)=qs2(6)

Vy=0

q(s)=-Vy/Iyy*Q(s)

Where Q(s)=y*A
Where y=y coordinate of centroid and A=Area

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I'm not sure how to separate the q(0) term, nor do I know what the physical significance of q(0) is (it's the shear flow, but is it the total shear flow at point O?). I've tried setting up the problem like:
qs1(0)=q(0)=qs3(5)=q(0) so q(0)=q(0)
but that doesn't give me any information. I've also tried:
qs2(0)=-7.5*Vz*t/Iyy+q(0)
qs3(0)=-7.5*Vz*t/Iyy+q(0)

Physics news on Phys.org
The shear flow q(s) is a function of the length coordinate s. Along each of the sides s1, s2, and s3, there is a point where s = 0. The location of the shear center suggests that the section is open at some point. If point O is the location where the section is open, what must the value of q(0) be?

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, I see what you are saying. So at s1=0, and the shear at point O is zero, then qs1(0)=-3*Vz*t*(0)^2/(10*Iyy)+q(0)=0 which means q(0) has to equal 0. Can you explain how you know there has to be an open section just from looking at the shear center?

The shear center is located outside of the triangular section. I believe most closed sections have the shear center located somewhere in their interiors. If the section is indeed open, then the shear flow starts with a zero value at the free end of the section. This fact is used when analyzing the shear flow in closed sections.

Likes 1 person
into space: The cross section is not open. You can see, from the given diagram, the cross section is closed.

In section 1 of post 1, why are you listing five values of q(0), a through e? When you state a question, you need to explain what is being listed. Why are you listing those q(0) values? Are you saying this is a multiple choice question? Is this an exam question?

into space said:
q(s)=-Vy/Iyy*Q(s)
Wrong. Vy = 0.

into space said:
Where Q(s)=y*A
Wrong. Vy = 0. Keep trying. By the way, excellent diagram. Nice work.

into space said:
... nor do I know what the physical significance of q(0) is (it's the shear flow, but is it the total shear flow at point O?).
No, it is not. q(0) is just a constant. Your task is to determine the value of that constant.

Last edited:
into space: My first sentence in the last line of post 5 might be wrong. You might be right. q(0) might be the total shear flow at point O.

Last edited:

1. What is shear flow along a triangular member?

Shear flow is a phenomenon that occurs when a force is applied parallel to the cross section of a member, causing a shear stress distribution. In the case of a triangular member, shear flow refers to the distribution of shear stress along the cross section of the member, which can vary depending on the geometry and loading conditions.

2. How is shear flow calculated on a triangular member?

Shear flow can be calculated using the shear flow formula: q = VQ/I, where q is the shear flow, V is the shear force, Q is the first moment of area of the cross section, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section. For a triangular member, the values of Q and I can be determined using basic geometry equations.

3. What factors affect shear flow along a triangular member?

The shear flow along a triangular member is affected by the shape and dimensions of the member, the applied load, and the cross-sectional properties of the member. Additionally, the support conditions and boundary conditions at the ends of the member can also have an impact on the shear flow distribution.

4. How is shear flow distributed along a triangular member?

The distribution of shear flow along a triangular member is not uniform, unlike in a rectangular member. The maximum shear flow occurs at the corners of the triangle, while the minimum shear flow occurs at the centroid of the triangle. The shear flow distribution can be visualized using shear flow diagrams, which show the shear flow values at different points along the member's cross section.

5. How does shear flow affect the strength of a triangular member?

Shear flow is an important consideration in the design of triangular members, as it can significantly affect their strength and stability. Excessive shear flow can lead to shear failures, such as buckling or shear yielding, which can compromise the structural integrity of the member. Therefore, shear flow must be carefully calculated and controlled to ensure the safety and stability of triangular members.