Shimomura Won the Nobel In Chemistry Because

• Thread starter GCT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the Nobel Prize in Chemistry being awarded to three scientists who used a jellyfish protein to advance our understanding of cells. One of the scientists, Douglas Prasher, was the original discoverer of the gene for the glowing protein but is now retired and working as a shuttle bus driver. There is also discussion about the difficulties and lack of financial success for those in the field of science. There is also mention of the suspicion and stereotypes surrounding individuals with home chemistry labs. The conversation ends with a question about the cost of having a lab in one's home.
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm really really sick of seeing all these biologists win the nobel prize in chemistry.

The previous year it was surface , that was some what of a reassurance. But hey , you are going to win a prize if you have a lab in the basement of your own home , and by lab I'm not referring to a meth lab. I'm referring to a state of the art - making your own GFP - lab.

Biochemistry is highly funded afterall , many inorganic chemists go for biochemistry.

I think he deserved it. :approve:

The secret is not to make your home into a lab but your lab into your home. That way you never have to pay rent.

Good on him though.

gravenewworld said:
I'm really really sick of seeing all these biologists win the nobel prize in chemistry.

Don't forget the physicists who win it, too.

gravenewworld said:

Jealous? Life is based on chemistry, so naturally you will find that a (bio)chemical discovery will impact research in biology greatly.

...he doesn't work at a car dealership?
Glowing Gene's Discoverer Left Out Of Nobel Prize

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded this week to three scientists working in the United States with a jellyfish protein that glows in the dark. But the scientist who found the gene for that protein, and gave it to the eventual Nobel winners, is no longer working in the field. He now drives a shuttle bus for an auto dealership.

The three chemistry Nobel Prize winners have advanced our understanding of the inner workings of cells by using the jellyfish protein to tag the tiny, intricate parts.

But to do that, back in the 1990s, those scientists first needed the gene that creates the glowing protein.

One of the winners, Roger Tsien of the University of California, San Diego, says he was lucky. At just the right time, a researcher named Douglas Prasher at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts isolated the gene that Tsien wanted.

"So I found his phone number, called him up, and to my amazement he was willing to give out the gene," Tsien says.

Another of the Nobel laureates, Martin Chalfie of New York's Columbia University, also got the gene from Prasher.

But Prasher, it turns out, no longer works in science. He is now driving a courtesy shuttle for a car dealership in Huntsville, Ala.

"I got a hard luck story," he says.

Prasher doesn't have any regrets about giving away the gene. Tsien and Chalfie did great work, he says, which he probably couldn't have done because the National Institutes of Health had rejected his funding proposals.
He tried to find a job in science but failed. So he went to work at the car dealership.
But the job does not pay enough to support his family.

"Our savings is gone; just totally gone," he says.

Prasher is still looking for a research job, but he worries that after two-and-a-half years, his knowledge and skills may be out of date.

That's not what some of his former colleagues say. One called Prasher's current situation a "staggering waste of talent."

In December, Tsien and Chalfie, along with Japanese researcher Osamu Shimomura, will go to Stockholm and receive almost a half-million dollars.

Prasher says, "If they're ever in Huntsville, they need to take me out to dinner."

Full story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95545761

So AIG's Martin Sullivan, Lehman's Richard Fuld and Fannie's Frank Raines all retire into multi-million dollar hammocks while Doug Prasher drives a courtesy shuttle and lives on a pittance.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
...he doesn't work at a car dealership?

Full story here: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95545761

So AIG's Martin Sullivan, Lehman's Richard Fuld and Fannie's Frank Raines all retire into multi-million dollar hammocks while Doug Prasher drives a courtesy shuttle and lives on a pittance.

What do they mean by out of date ... the field is no longer valuable or that his resume is out of date?

I would not be surprised to find many other stories like this , I've heard of people who have graduated from Harvard working menial jobs as well as other people with great credentials that are not able to obtain a job due to the tendencies of industry to either outsource their jobs or to seek a candidate who ... well ... pursue the interests of the company then adhere to the standards of scientific research and progress. Because the progress of science and the progress of a company are not always the same things.

A life in science does not always lead to , even decent , financial success.

A chemistry lab in one’s own home! There is no other possible reason for this besides illicit drug or firework manufacture.
[/End cynical sarcasm]

Sadly there is an unpleasant truth behind GCT’s joke about the meth lab; there is often an inherent suspicion surrounding individuals with home chemistry labs, be they amateur or professional.

mrjeffy321 said:
A chemistry lab in one’s own home! There is no other possible reason for this besides illicit drug or firework manufacture.
[/End cynical sarcasm]

Sadly there is an unpleasant truth behind GCT’s joke about the meth lab; there is often an inherent suspicion surrounding individuals with home chemistry labs, be they amateur or professional.

Shimomura's lab is built for both biology and chemistry , he probably has high tech equipment for both types of projects ... some for cutting up jellyfish and others for isolating and analyzing the protein. Also , his lab probably gets audited not to mention all of those forms and protocols for waste management.

Does anyone know how much it cost to have their very own Lab in the House?

What did Shimomura win the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for?

Shimomura won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his pioneering research on the green fluorescent protein (GFP) found in jellyfish. He discovered the protein's unique properties and how it can be used as a biological marker in scientific research.

How did Shimomura's research impact the field of chemistry?

Shimomura's research on GFP has had a significant impact on the field of chemistry. His work has led to a better understanding of how proteins function and how they can be manipulated for various applications such as gene expression studies and disease detection.

What were some challenges Shimomura faced in his research?

One of the main challenges Shimomura faced was obtaining sufficient quantities of GFP from the jellyfish. He had to develop new methods and techniques for isolating and purifying the protein, which was a tedious and time-consuming process.

How has Shimomura's discovery of GFP been applied in other fields?

Shimomura's discovery of GFP has been applied in various fields, including neuroscience, biotechnology, and medicine. It has been used to track gene expression, study protein interactions, and even create glowing animals for medical research.

What other recognitions and awards has Shimomura received for his research?

In addition to the Nobel Prize, Shimomura has received numerous other accolades for his groundbreaking research on GFP. These include the Asahi Prize, the Japan Academy Prize, and the Order of Culture from the Japanese government.