SHM: Do We Need to Assume Sign of k?

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm Sign
In summary, the conversation is about simple harmonic motion and the equation ##\displaystyle \frac{d^2x}{dx^2} + k^2 x = 0##. The question is whether an assumption needs to be made about the sign of ##k## before solving. The answer is no, as ##k## is always positive in this context. The equation represents the relationship between mass, acceleration, force, and displacement, where ##k## represents the spring constant.
Mr Davis 97
I have the equation for simple harmonic motion ##\displaystyle \frac{d^2x}{dx^2} + k^2 x = 0##. I have a simple question. Do we need to make an assumption about the sign of ##k## before we solve this? We have that the roots satisfy ##r^2=-k^2##. So ##r=\pm i \sqrt{k^2}##. Do I need to assume ##k## is either positive or negative before I can proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple harmonic motion is what happens with a system that has a mass attached to a spring. The equation is ## m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}=-kx ##. The mass ## m ## and spring constant ## k ## are always both positive. The mass times acceleration is equal to the force which is opposite the displacement. ## \\ ## In the problem above ## k^2>0 ##. The sign of ## k ## doesn't matter. Most often, your ## k ## is actually written as ## \omega ##.

k is positive by definition, at least in this physics context.

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion. It is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and always acts towards the equilibrium position.

2. What is the sign of k in SHM?

The sign of k in SHM is determined by the direction of the restoring force. If the restoring force acts towards the equilibrium position, k is positive. If the restoring force acts away from the equilibrium position, k is negative.

3. Why is it important to know the sign of k in SHM?

Knowing the sign of k in SHM helps us determine the direction of the motion and the equilibrium position. It also allows us to accurately calculate the period and frequency of the oscillation.

4. Can the sign of k change in SHM?

No, the sign of k remains constant in SHM. It is a characteristic of the system and is determined by the physical properties of the oscillating object.

5. Do we always need to assume the sign of k in SHM?

Yes, assuming the sign of k is necessary in order to accurately analyze and calculate the properties of SHM. However, in some cases, such as when using a mathematical model, we may be able to choose the sign of k that is most convenient for our calculations.