Why Does Spring Constant Decrease with Increased Load?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decrease in spring constant with increasing load in a simple harmonic motion assignment. The individual has worked out their values for mass, spring displacement, and spring constant in a table, and is struggling to find a reason for the observed decrease. The only potential explanation suggested is a twist in the spring due to increased displacement, but further help is requested.
shaun_598

Homework Statement

Ive worked out all of my values for my shm assignment. In the table of results i have found that my spring constant decreases with load applied.

Im stuggling to come with a good reason for this.

Number Mass (kg) Spring displacement (m) Spring constant (N/m)
1 0.05 0 n/a
2 0.1 0.0195 50.31
3 0.15 0.039 37.73
4 0.2 0.061 32.16
5 0.25 0.081 30.28

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all i can come up with is twist in the spring. That the greater load had a greater spring displacement and therefore any twist when the sping would be oscilating would be exaggerated.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly was the procedure for determining the values in your table? What comprises the mass for each entry?

gneill said:
What exactly was the procedure for determining the values in your table? What comprises the mass for each entry?
The table is actually from this thread.

Without knowing from an eye-witness how the experiment was conducted we can only speculate on what might cause the observed variation. As a first guess I would say that the recorded mass values are actually on the heavy side by some constant offset (systematic error?). Subtract about 0.05kg from each mass value and take another look at the results.

I can offer a potential explanation for why the spring constant decreases with load applied. This phenomenon could be due to the spring experiencing plastic deformation, where the bonds between the molecules in the spring material start to permanently deform and rearrange under the applied load. This would result in a change in the stiffness of the spring, causing the spring constant to decrease. This is a common behavior observed in many materials, including springs, when subjected to high enough loads.

Another possibility is that the spring is experiencing fatigue, where repeated loading and unloading causes microcracks to form in the material. This can also lead to a decrease in stiffness and a change in the spring constant.

It is also important to consider the design of the spring and how it is attached to the load. If the load is not evenly distributed along the spring, it could cause uneven deformation and result in a decrease in the spring constant.

In conclusion, there could be multiple reasons for why the spring constant decreases with load applied. Further investigation and experimentation may be needed to determine the exact cause in your specific case.

Related to Why Does Spring Constant Decrease with Increased Load?

1. What is SHM (simple harmonic motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. This motion is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point.

2. How does the spring constant affect SHM?

The spring constant, represented by the symbol k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is directly related to the frequency of SHM, with a larger spring constant resulting in a higher frequency and a smaller spring constant resulting in a lower frequency. Essentially, a larger spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress, resulting in a faster oscillation.

3. Can the spring constant vary in SHM?

Yes, the spring constant can vary in SHM. This can occur if the spring is made of a material that can change its stiffness, such as a rubber band that becomes less stiff as it is stretched. It can also occur if the spring is made up of multiple sections with different spring constants, or if the spring is being affected by an external force that changes its stiffness.

4. How is the period of SHM affected by a varying spring constant?

The period of SHM, represented by the symbol T, is the amount of time it takes for one complete oscillation. When the spring constant varies, the period also varies. If the spring constant increases, the period decreases, resulting in a faster oscillation. If the spring constant decreases, the period increases, resulting in a slower oscillation.

5. How does a varying spring constant affect the amplitude of SHM?

The amplitude of SHM, represented by the symbol A, is the maximum displacement of the object from the equilibrium point. When the spring constant varies, the amplitude can also vary. If the spring constant increases, the amplitude decreases, resulting in a smaller maximum displacement. If the spring constant decreases, the amplitude increases, resulting in a larger maximum displacement.