Shore power supply for the vessel

In summary, the author is facing a problem with shore power supply for their vessel. He is using portable generators to power the vessel while their generators are overhauled and for 440 V 60 Hz he is using a portable generator supply and for 415 V 50 Hz he is using National power gird supply which is 415 V 50 Hz and has a neutral earthing system. His incoming from power grid to his HT side is 22 kV and there, he uses a 3 phase 3 MVA transformer to step down to 415 V 50 Hz supply. His transformer secondary connection is Y connection. When he supplies 415 V 50 Hz three phase to the ship, almost all the vessel showed low insulation resistance but his cables insulation
LUMAW
Hi all,
I am facing the problem with shore power supply for the vessel. At our ship yard, sometimes we need to arrange temporary electric supply for the vessel meanwhile their generators are overhauled. For 440 V 60 Hz i am using portable generator supply and for 415 V 50 Hz supply i am using National power gird supply which is 415 V 50 Hz and neutal earthing system). The incoming from power grid to our HT side is 22 kV and there, we use 3 pase 3 MVA transformer to step down to 415 V 50 Hz supply. Our transformer secondary connection is Y connection. When I supply 415V 50 Hz three phase to the ship, alomot all vessel i found out that bus bar insulation were showing low inulation. But our cables insulation test was showing infinite. Whatever there is nothing problem for the vessel during shore power using periods but sometimes it is very difficult for me to explain to chief engineer or captain of the vessel. I suspect that it is because of neutral earthing system and i told them that is the reason. So pls i need all of your help to explain. Most of the ship the neaul is not needed. But only need to supply three phase with Earth only.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
""When I supply 415V 50 Hz three phase to the ship, alomot all vessel i found out that bus bar insulation were showing low inulation. ""

How'd you find that low insulation resistance?

what is the symptom that makes the ship's captains complain?

perhaps you should just show the captain and his chief electrician the earthing connection at your transformer..
surely his shipboard system has some kind of Earth to hull, even if it's high impedance

see if you can locate a copy of IEEE "Green Book"
first chapter has GREAT edxplanation of earthing. as do some recent threads here.

old jim

1. What is shore power supply for a vessel?

Shore power supply for a vessel is an external electrical power source that allows ships and boats to turn off their onboard generators and connect to a land-based power grid while docked at a port. It is also known as shore power or shore-to-ship power.

2. How does shore power supply benefit a vessel?

Shore power supply allows a vessel to reduce its emissions, noise, and fuel consumption while docked, as it doesn't need to run its own generator. It also provides a more stable and reliable source of power compared to onboard generators.

3. What type of vessels use shore power supply?

Shore power supply can be used by various types of vessels, including commercial ships, cruise ships, ferries, and recreational boats. It is especially beneficial for larger vessels that require a significant amount of power while docked.

4. How is shore power supply connected to a vessel?

Shore power supply is connected to a vessel through a shore power cable or a specialized shore power pedestal. The cable is usually plugged into a socket on the vessel's hull, while the pedestal connects to the vessel's electrical system.

5. Are there any environmental benefits to using shore power supply?

Yes, shore power supply has significant environmental benefits. By reducing the use of onboard generators, it helps to decrease air and noise pollution in port areas. It also contributes to the overall reduction of greenhouse gas emissions from the shipping industry.