Short Distance Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of singularities not being able to occur due to a minimum length scale preventing them. It also touches on the misuse of quantum fluctuations and the purpose of prefixes in identifying the level of background knowledge in a discussion. The author also mentions the potential for a strong theory of Quantum Gravity to address these issues.
clarkvangilder
Does this paper [https://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.06963.pdf] give sufficient reason to accept/believe that the infinities where we "find" singularities can never really happen because there is a minimum length scale that prevents it? Hoping that I have made at least a reasonable deduction from the article.

I also sense that they may misuse the notion of quantum fluctuations (based on other threads herein); but reserve the right to be wrong on that too.

Just interested in getting some opinions on this rather than starting a fight. Sometimes just asking a question in here leads to a scolding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, what the heck are the prefixes for? I had not seen that before. Hope choosing B was OK.

clarkvangilder said:
what the heck are the prefixes for?

For identifying the level of background knowledge assumed in the discussion. "B" is basic (high school), "I" is intermediate (undergraduate), "A" is advanced (graduate). I have changed the level of this thread to "I" (the subject matter could even be "A").

Likes clarkvangilder
As I understand it, any introduction of singularities poses problems for QM just as much as GR.
Possibly a strong theory for Quantum Gravity might one day address these problems.

Likes clarkvangilder

1. What is short distance quantum physics?

Short distance quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles at very small distances, typically on the scale of the size of an atom or smaller. It involves understanding the fundamental forces and particles that govern the behavior of matter at these short distances.

2. How is short distance quantum physics different from regular quantum physics?

Short distance quantum physics is a more specific and specialized field within the broader study of quantum physics. While regular quantum physics deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic level, short distance quantum physics focuses on their behavior at even smaller scales, such as within the nucleus of an atom.

3. What are some real-life applications of short distance quantum physics?

One major application of short distance quantum physics is in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in the field of particle physics to understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the nature of the universe.

4. How does short distance quantum physics relate to the study of the Big Bang?

The study of short distance quantum physics is crucial in understanding the early moments of the universe, including the Big Bang. It helps scientists understand the behavior of particles at extremely high energies and temperatures, which are necessary for understanding the early stages of the universe.

5. What are some current challenges in the field of short distance quantum physics?

One of the main challenges in short distance quantum physics is reconciling it with the theory of general relativity, which describes the behavior of gravity and the large-scale structure of the universe. Another challenge is developing experimental techniques that can accurately measure and observe particles at such small scales.