Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Short Distance Quantum Physics

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1
    Does this paper [https://arxiv.org/pdf/1505.06963.pdf] give sufficient reason to accept/believe that the infinities where we "find" singularities can never really happen because there is a minimum length scale that prevents it? Hoping that I have made at least a reasonable deduction from the article.

I also sense that they may misuse the notion of quantum fluctuations (based on other threads herein); but reserve the right to be wrong on that too.

Just interested in getting some opinions on this rather than starting a fight. Sometimes just asking a question in here leads to a scolding.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2
    Also, what the heck are the prefixes for? I had not seen that before. Hope choosing B was OK.

4. Jan 17, 2017 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For identifying the level of background knowledge assumed in the discussion. "B" is basic (high school), "I" is intermediate (undergraduate), "A" is advanced (graduate). I have changed the level of this thread to "I" (the subject matter could even be "A").

5. Jan 19, 2017 #4
    As I understand it, any introduction of singularities poses problems for QM just as much as GR.
    Possibly a strong theory for Quantum Gravity might one day address these problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted