Short Dividing fence on my property: what are my options?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I am placing a fence across part of my yard; I want to know if hideous "Frost" chain link fence is my only option
I am dividing my backyard in half, one area will be fully enclosed by a 6+ ft fence, in anticipation of a pool. Three sides of the enclosed area are on the property line (red posts) and will be enclosed in a standard wooden privacy fence (shared with neighbours). The yard itself will be divided by an interior fence (green posts) so that we have a play area (in anticipation of a pool).

1716494740877.png

That's all back story. Only the interior fence is of concern right now.

The key criterion for the interior fence is that it must provide an unobstructed view. Therefore, it cannot be wood.
The obvious solution is a chain link "Frost" fence:

1716493128668.png

Cheap, functional, and hideous.

I'm looking for something just slightly less hideous. Even this is perfectly fine:
1716493735644.png

But here is my dilemma:

I am having a contractor come in to do all the post holes. He will place them eight feet on-centre across my yard.

One big advantage of a chain link fence is that finishing the fence is not dependent on the exact placement of the post holes. They can be off by a lot and it makes no difference. Chain link doesn't come in sections; it coems in rolls, and you just rooolllllll it on to the posts.

Any other type of fence I can find (such as the example above) seems to require exact post hole placement. I assume the way one would do this is to dig the post holes at the same time as erecting the fence panels, i.e. post hole 1, panel 1, post hole 2, panel 2, etc.

Am I correct in this assumption?
Or, is it possible to
a] have my post holes pre-dug by a contractor, and still
b] panel it any other way than with "Frost"-style chain link?

One other criterion I have to consider, which rules out some options, is that the fence must actually have post holes (i.e. be permanent). Some light duty surround fences seem to be self-standing, like this. Not cool:
1716494296961.png

Attachments

• 1716492814310.png
    1716492814310.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I would do: First, out exactly what the post distances must be - and what play is available - preferably by visiting and measuring a sample fence. (I'm just paranoid about how product documentation can result in miscommunication.)
Then I would have the holes dug exactly at those center.
Then, I would deal with misalignment in two ways: holes wide enough to allow for a few inches of adjustment; 2) move holes by several inches by scraping the sides of an existing hole.
There may also be some opportunity for additional "play" at the gates.

On a couple of occasions I have installed "post and rail" fences. I was able to layout the holes ahead of time with no problem. But those fences have several inches of play per post - and if I had needed to, I could have cut back some of the rails.

Now that I think about it, almost any wooden fence is likely to provide some method of sizeable adjustments.

I don't understand why you would want to install the posts before knowing what kind of fence you want.

But, given your criteria, I would look into steel cable or rope fences. Some ideas:

5431ccdcb83e60124c538250551057e6.jpg

1000_F_201238556_UtDQ5dcCoui7EZjh8lH3vKN07YXGw7cG.jpg
il_fullxfull.2823572695_pbmx.jpg
bd25b58b1091915d124631356eb192c9_480x480.jpg
Treehouse-Rope-scaled-1_480x480.jpg
3c4666bd0f28de964b931c3e9a3caa78.jpg
20181019_144916_1024x1024.jpg
08269544af6ddeadf4088a132a5f39de.jpg
Cable-Fence-Systems-inspiration16.jpg
bd88f9e22581dad11a35576ca82e4ec0.jpg
5a25af726706fd5e6630f0fa9109c33d.jpg
4e99fc9152558a7ea9e8635714e1d20f.jpg
4f58d1250c997be475b2380dc5b621ac.jpg
8b8b012e4a65b1f13856b994f09a0e5c.jpg
3ef067b224387f8e5a8a63442c9e2c0d.jpg
My Family Treehouse.jpeg
white-fence.jpg

• Love
Likes DeBangis21, Rive, berkeman and 2 others
jack action said:
I don't understand why you would want to install the posts before knowing what kind of fence you want.
It's more about time crunch. If we don't act soon, we are about to get a Frost fence, because things are coming to a head with the contractor who will be setting the posts. (I don't want to hold him up, because the fence is only phase one of the backyard spring project. We hope to complete phase two (the pool itself, by end of June.)

Anyway, since we all hate Frost fences, I'm looking to see if there are any alternatives before I commit to the contractor to drop in the posts.

jack action said:
But, given your criteria, I would look into steel cable or rope fences. Some ideas:
Except for #2 and similar ones
1716500094529.png

most of those styles are inappropriate for fences intended to be safe for small children. They all have various ways children can get body parts caught.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Am I correct in this assumption?
Or, is it possible to
a] have my post holes pre-dug by a contractor, and still
b] panel it any other way than with "Frost"-style chain link?
I would dig bigger than needed holes, then stand the posts in the holes, blocked up and with stays, while the fence was built, before setting the posts permanently. The panels would position the posts in the critical direction.

Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
because things are coming to a head with the contractor who will be setting the posts. (I don't want to hold him up, because the fence is only phase one of the backyard spring project. We hope to complete phase two (the pool itself, by end of June.)
You've probably thought about this, but can the pool digging equipment make it in between 8 foot spaced fence posts?

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes Spinnor, Tom.G and BillTre
Baluncore said:
I would dig bigger than needed holes, then stand the posts in the holes, blocked up and with stays, while the fence was built, before setting the posts permanently. The panels would position the posts in the critical direction.
No. I whole problem is that the contractor will be sinking all the posts before we come around and finish the fence. If I had the option of setting the posts as I built the sections there would be no there there.

berkeman said:
You've probably thought about this, but can the pool digging equipment make it in between 8 foot spaced fence posts?
Above ground. (Or at least, "on-ground".)

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Depending on your location there may be local code requirements applicable to pool fencing. Worth checking into sooner rather than later.

gmax137 said:
Depending on your location there may be local code requirements applicable to pool fencing. Worth checking into sooner rather than later.
Good point. Most likely Dave already has done that, but it does bring up the point that one of the designs he initially posted probably doesn't meet code for pool fences (since skinny toddlers can probably make it between those bars):

1716590204070.png

gmax137 said:
Indeed.

Building a fence around a pool requires a permit.

You know what doesn't require a permit? Building a fence around any ol' section of your yard that does not contain a pool.

You know what else doesn't require a permit? Putting a pool in your yard inside an existing fence.

As long as that fence is in place before we start the pool, were golden.
(Yes of course the fence will meet code. It's the permit that's the gotcha here.)

DaveC426913 said:
You know what else doesn't require a permit? Putting a pool in your yard inside an existing fence.
Not true in my county.

berkeman said:
Good point. Most likely Dave already has done that, but it does bring up the point that one of the designs he initially posted probably doesn't meet code for pool fences (since skinny toddlers can probably make it between those bars):
Another break we get is that the interior fence is actually redundant. Our entire property is already enclosed with its own fence with gates. As long as that property fence meets code (sufficient hieght, no gaps and self-closing gates), we don't need an inner fence.

This interior fence is really just for our peace-of-mind; it will prevent the wee ones from getting at the pool without our supervision. We will choose a design that doesn't squeeze tiny heads.

Likes berkeman
gmax137 said:
Not true in my county.
It's an above-ground. Does that make a difference? (Also, I R Canada.)

DaveC426913 said:
It's an above-ground. Does that make a difference? (Also, I R Canada.)
I'm not sure about that.

DaveC426913 said:
most of those styles are inappropriate for fences intended to be safe for small children. They all have various ways children can get body parts caught.
Based on that line of thought for ideas both 'pool fence' and 'child safety net' gave some decorative, not 'frost fence' looking results, both in permanent and removable variations... I guess some company offered ones should be adequate to be used as template?

Rive said:
Based on that line of thought for ideas both 'pool fence' and 'child safety net' gave some decorative, not 'frost fence' looking results, both in permanent and removable variations... I guess some company offered ones should be adequate to be used as template?
Yes, but there were two criteria, and I've been looking for a solution at the intersection of them.

The second criteria was designs that could be erected after setting the posts (like you can with Frost fencing). For example, this wood section (already rejected) is probably a challenge to fit in a gap that's over or undersized.
16915003_L.jpg

However, after some feedback and reflection, I am more comfortable now that many fence styles have a means of adjustment to account for imperfect placement of posts.

Likes Rive
Back