Short question about graphing AC voltage before rectificaiton

In summary, the VP connection must be higher than the Earth connection in order to avoid a short circuit.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, Vp to the ground isn't the negative pulse.
It's the positive pulse.

Perhaps you should try to solve the circuit for a couple of voltages.

I think RL (and not its end where you have written "K") should return to the rectifier junction where you have Earth wrongly connected.

I agree with Nascent about the peculiar wiring on this diagram.
FP you actually indicate a better wiring in your 1st post of an earlier question :)

Hi FP :smile:
Your full wave bridge rectifier connections look much better.

VP starts from the negative input
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/927/ppppv.jpg
VP would only be a negative voltage if your transformer secondary were [itex]180^o[/itex] out of phase (as in dot notation of following figure) However, when they don't explicitly use dot notation, we assume the secondary is in-phase (What does that mean? what ILS also alluded, VP-to-Gnd is the positive voltage).

scrcircuitxfrmroutofphase.jpg

I don't see where you are taking the pull-down voltage into consideration. Perhaps you could say in you calculations [tex]V_{A-G}(max)[\frac{N_ב}{N_א}][/tex]
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m543/loxandbagels/scrcircuitwithpulldownxfmr.jpg

From some reason I always thought that it's the other way around...

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9165/oppositenormal.jpg

But you're my source, Quab, so I'll amend my err and instead of the dotted line for VP I'll add a full line indicating there's a voltage there, and at negative wave there isn't. Much appreciated

Femme_physics said:
But you're my source, Quab, so I'll amend my ... Much appreciated
Thank you for your faith in my comments. Though the nice thing about this forum,
if I made an error, I am sure someone will 'politely' supply correction. :smile:

So my username Ouabache is the French spelling of a native American word
for the river that runs alongside my university in northern Indiana. (etymology)

Last edited:
Femme_physics said:
From some reason I always thought that it's the other way around...

Regardless of the orientation, opposite or normal, Vp always has to be higher than the Earth connection (0 V).

If Vp were lower than the Earth connection, you'd have a short circuit.

What is graphing AC voltage before rectification?

Graphing AC voltage before rectification is a way of visualizing the changes in voltage over time in an alternating current (AC) circuit. It shows the peaks and troughs of the voltage as it oscillates between positive and negative values.

Why is it important to graph AC voltage before rectification?

Graphing AC voltage before rectification is important because it allows us to see the characteristics of the AC signal, such as its amplitude and frequency, which can help us understand the behavior of the circuit and identify any issues or irregularities.

How is AC voltage graphed before rectification?

AC voltage can be graphed using a voltmeter or an oscilloscope. The voltage is measured at regular intervals and plotted on a graph, with time on the x-axis and voltage on the y-axis. This creates a waveform that represents the AC signal.

What is the difference between AC voltage before and after rectification?

AC voltage before rectification is in its original form, with alternating positive and negative values. After rectification, the voltage is converted to a steady, unidirectional flow of current. This is known as DC voltage.

How does graphing AC voltage before rectification help in circuit analysis?

Graphing AC voltage before rectification allows us to identify the characteristics of the AC signal, such as its amplitude, frequency, and any irregularities. This information can help in troubleshooting and analyzing the behavior of the circuit, and can also aid in designing and optimizing circuits for specific purposes.