Short vs Open Circuit: Is That Correct?

In summary, the impedance between points a and b is equivalent to a short circuit when the angular frequency is 0, and equivalent to an open circuit when the angular frequency is infinite. This can be determined by considering the individual impedances of the inductor and capacitor, and observing that for a short circuit, the impedance is 0, while for an open circuit, the impedance is infinite.
annamal
Homework Statement
At what frequency or frequencies is the impedance between a and b equivalent to a short circuit and open circuit in the circuits below?
Relevant Equations
ZL = j*w*L
ZC = -j/(w*C)
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 9.03.31 PM.png

For the first circuit, Req = ZL + ZC = -j/(w*C) + j*w*L = 0 for short circuit, so w = 0?
For the open circuit case, -j/(w*C) + j*w*L = infinity, so w = infinity?

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
annamal said:
Homework Statement: At what frequency or frequencies is the impedance between a and b equivalent to a short circuit and open circuit in the circuits below?
Relevant Equations: ZL = j*w*L
ZC = -j*w*C

For the open circuit case, -j*w*C + j*w*L = infinity, so w = infinity?
w is the angular frequency.
Z=R+jX; X may be zero, or infinity, but w is not zero.
Resonance occurs at w necessary for XC+XL = 0, in both the parallel and the series cases.

Ok, I wrote my equations wrong initially. But I am wondering what frequency is the impedance an open circuit? The impedance would have to equal infinite?

Take each of the components individually. What happens to the impedance of a capacitor at ω = 0? What happens at ω → ∞? How about the inductor?

You need to look at the impedance difference, of a series or a parallel circuit.
For DC, in one you sum the resistance, in the other you sum the conductance.
For AC you sum the impedance, or the admittance.

Annamal,
You need to slow down and do your maths correctly.

For example, let's consider circuit a. The impedance of a series circuit is the sum of the impedances.
So, Z = -j/(wC) + jwL. We set Z=0, do some algebra and get w = 1/sqrt(LC). That'd the frequency where the impedance is zero (a short circuit). When is Z infinite? If w=0, then the impedance of the capacitor is infinite, so that is one answer. If w=infinity, then the impedance of the inductor is infinite, so that is another answer.

You will find that the answers for circuit b are reversed. It looks like a short for w=0 and w=inf., and it looks like an open circuit when w=1/sqrt(LC).

I invite you to graph the impedance as a function of w. It is very instructive.
Regards,

annamal said:
Ok, I wrote my equations wrong initially. But I am wondering what frequency is the impedance an open circuit? The impedance would have to equal infinite?
Yes, it would have to be infinite. I think they are expecting a qualitative answer like high, low, or medium, rather than an actual frequency. There is no frequency where a real-world inductor is exactly like an open circuit. Likewise for a capacitor being a short circuit. This problem has not specified values for the inductor, or capacitor, nor a tolerance level for the circuit to be considered open or shorted.

In the first case the two reactance are in series and in the second case the are parallel , as you already said. So, as you know, the series is the sum and the parallel it is the division of the product by sum.

For short-circuit the result is 0 and for open has to be infinite. In order to find infinite, you have to consider 1/Z=0 and calculate the ω=2*π*f=x

For instance, if Z=j(ω*L-1/ω/Cap) for short-circuit Z=0 and for open circuit 1/Z=0 [Z=∞]

If ω=0 Z=∞ since 1/0/Cap=∞

1. What is the difference between a short circuit and an open circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit, causing an excessive flow of current. An open circuit, on the other hand, occurs when there is a break in the circuit, preventing the flow of current.

2. How do short circuits and open circuits affect electrical devices?

Short circuits can cause damage to electrical devices by overheating and can even lead to fires. Open circuits can prevent devices from functioning properly or at all.

3. How can I identify a short circuit or an open circuit in an electrical system?

A short circuit can be identified by a sudden loss of power or a tripped circuit breaker. An open circuit can be identified by a lack of power in a specific part of the circuit or by using a multimeter to check for continuity.

4. Can a short circuit or an open circuit be fixed?

Yes, both short circuits and open circuits can be fixed. Short circuits can be fixed by identifying and repairing the low resistance connection, while open circuits can be fixed by locating and repairing the break in the circuit.

5. How can I prevent short circuits and open circuits from occurring?

To prevent short circuits, make sure to use the correct fuses and circuit breakers for your electrical system and avoid overloading circuits. To prevent open circuits, regularly check for damaged or frayed wires and make sure all connections are secure.