Should I apply to more reach schools for graduate studies?

In summary, the person is in the process of applying for graduate programs and has received different advice from two professors. One professor suggests applying to a mix of top, mid-range, and lower safety schools, while the other suggests focusing more on top schools due to the role of luck in admissions. The person has a high GPA and GRE scores and is interested in biophysics and potentially condensed matter or quantum information science. They plan on applying to around 10 schools.
theDRG5
I have a question pretty specific towards my situation but I think its an interesting thing to think about anyways.

I am in the process of applying for graduate programs for the fall, and from two professors I got slightly different advice. One said that I should apply to few top schools, few mid range, and few lower "safety" schools. Decent advice, right?

Now the other professor told me that considering my GPA and GRE score, I should apply to few mid range schools, and apply more to top schools because luck has a lot to do with being accepted to a program, and he thinks I will probably get into mid range schools (USC, Irvine, etc). To put things in perspective My GPA is just shy of 3.8, my GRE score is 160 and 169, verbal and math respectively, and I don't know my physics GRE score yet.

What do you think? Does luck play big enough role in graduate school admission to warrant applying to lots of top schools?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you can afford it, apply to as many schools as possible. . . also, what is your research work like? your grades / scores def seem high enough to be qualified for top schools.

I'm looking into applying to about 10 schools? I am doing research on biophysics, been on it for two semesters now. I want to be doing condensed matter or quantum information science though

Related to Should I apply to more reach schools for graduate studies?

What are reach schools for graduate studies?

Reach schools for graduate studies are typically universities or programs that have a highly competitive admissions process and are considered to be more difficult to get into. These schools are often top-ranked and have a reputation for academic excellence.

Why should I consider applying to more reach schools for graduate studies?

Applying to more reach schools for graduate studies can increase your chances of getting accepted into a top-ranked program. It also allows you to have more options and choose the best fit for your academic and career goals.

What are the potential drawbacks of applying to more reach schools for graduate studies?

One potential drawback is the added time and effort required to complete multiple applications and potentially attend multiple interviews. Additionally, there may be additional application fees and travel expenses associated with applying to multiple reach schools.

How do I determine which reach schools to apply to?

When considering which reach schools to apply to, it is important to research and carefully consider the specific program and its fit with your academic and career goals. Factors such as faculty expertise, research opportunities, and location can also play a role in your decision.

What can I do to increase my chances of being accepted into a reach school for graduate studies?

To increase your chances of being accepted into a reach school for graduate studies, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and compelling letters of recommendation. Additionally, showcasing your passion and fit for the program through a well-written personal statement can also make a difference.