Becoming an Engineer: Considerations and Personal Experiences

• Other
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary: However, if you are genuinely interested in engineering, you should become an engineer regardless of what branch you study.End question: Should I become an engineer?Answer: If you see beauty and elegance in physics and calculus, then maybe you are on the right track; but, if it bores you to learn about how things work, how they are built, and how to make them better, then you probably do not want to become an engineer.

No answers xD?

Physics news on Phys.org

hi
I can't think of many professions which are as broad and varied as engineering, and in the average day (some mornings wearing a suit, some afternoons wearing overalls and safety boots) I definitely have a wider range of things to do than your average GP, accountant or solicitor.

Thomas Riccard,
http://www.dermatologist.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

trichard18000 said:
hi
I can't think of many professions which are as broad and varied as engineering, and in the average day (some mornings wearing a suit, some afternoons wearing overalls and safety boots) I definitely have a wider range of things to do than your average GP, accountant or solicitor.

Thomas Riccard,
http://www.dermatologist.com"

I'm sorry, can you tell me what's the relationship between dermatology and engineering?

I don't know what we mean by "engineering". I am going to take admission in Engineering college this year but I know I won't be a good engineer. And I also know that I will get degree somehow, might be with a lower grade.

Some people define engineering as the study of science to apply it to the practical problems. Whether its really like that, I wonder. If it is really like that then why we write papers, why exams are not conducted practically on sites and labs. There are practicals but they are just fake and nothing else.

Besides about the knowledge of Maths and Physics (in my country, one more subject i.e. Chemistry), I have some knowledge but I don't practice rote memorization actually I should write "I can't practice". So with a due course of time, I forget most of the things and only thing that is left in my mind is the gist. Nothing I get but a zero for that gist.

I've never entered college. I don't know much about the way study take place there but I guess, the same thing is going to be there what I had there in my school till yesterday. I don't know to write, medium of study is English here but I speak in different tongue and so I make silly grammatical mistakes every now and then and it becomes a mess.

If everything will go practical then I can be a very good engineer because that's what I am practicing from my very childhood. I have a habit to open every electronic devices which I can afford to open and disintegrate it and then integrate it to know its working. I had understood how motor works before it is taught in my class in a very dull manner. Why study don't go like that. It will be fun and easy and we're surely going to get more good engineers from that back lists which are just screaming to get their degree.

snshusat161 said:
I don't know what we mean by "engineering". I am going to take admission in Engineering college this year but I know I won't be a good engineer. And I also know that I will get degree somehow, might be with a lower grade.

Some people define engineering as the study of science to apply it to the practical problems. Whether its really like that, I wonder. If it is really like that then why we write papers, why exams are not conducted practically on sites and labs. There are practicals but they are just fake and nothing else.

Besides about the knowledge of Maths and Physics (in my country, one more subject i.e. Chemistry), I have some knowledge but I don't practice rote memorization actually I should write "I can't practice". So with a due course of time, I forget most of the things and only thing that is left in my mind is the gist. Nothing I get but a zero for that gist.

I've never entered college. I don't know much about the way study take place there but I guess, the same thing is going to be there what I had there in my school till yesterday. I don't know to write, medium of study is English here but I speak in different tongue and so I make silly grammatical mistakes every now and then and it becomes a mess.

If everything will go practical then I can be a very good engineer because that's what I am practicing from my very childhood. I have a habit to open every electronic devices which I can afford to open and disintegrate it and then integrate it to know its working. I had understood how motor works before it is taught in my class in a very dull manner. Why study don't go like that. It will be fun and easy and we're surely going to get more good engineers from that back lists which are just screaming to get their degree.

exams is used, not entirely for the sake of students beneficiary. It is rather used as indicating tool (though I personally believe is an extraordinary bad indicating tool, such that bad examination marks doesn't necessary indicate the student is incapable or worse than others) to show the fund payers (i.e. the government, or private corporates) "how well" the institute is performing with respect to "how well" students had shown in their exam marks. thus has a direct relationship with how much funding or support institute will receive in the upcoming academic year.

is rather sad really, if you think about it. but hey we can't really blame the lecturers, they need to feed their families too you know.

There is this neat new service that really assists in answering questions similar to the title of this specific thread "The Should-I-Become-An-Engineer?". It uses a blog to accommodate its services, and all the inquirer must do is submit a comment on any post and the blogger will proceed to answer the question through the best possible means.

Check it out: http://engineeringinsiderinfo.blogspot.com/

Which is the most useful engineering degree? For example the one that can appeal to wide range of employers in the job market.

If there's a lot of emphasis on Math(s) with engineering Bachelor Degree,
well then can someone please post a video of one of their classes (5mins max if allowed video in the class) to give us prospective students an idea of what it's like?

TL92 said:
Which is the most useful engineering degree? For example the one that can appeal to wide range of employers in the job market.

in terms of job range, I guess, without any statistics, go for Civil

No I'm ok with math and statistics. what about Materials Science engineering bachelor's degree?

TL92 said:
No I'm ok with math and statistics. what about Materials Science engineering bachelor's degree?

what i meant by statistics, i meant, I don't have actual figures as to which filed has the widest range of employment.

not literally statistics in mathematics

Oh ok sorry.. ok so what about the other degree? Material science engineering.

buddy, I don't know myself. I'm trying to get in too, after I graduate from my current bachelor that is. I presume there is some sort of career advisory center located at the university or institute you want to get in, ask them. they should know all about these kind of things.

russ_watters said:
At the suggestion of Shahil, I'm starting this thread as a general guidance thread for prospective engineers. Some typical questions:

-Should I become an engineer?
-What engineering discipline should I study?
-Is engineering difficult?

I encourage people to post personal experiences in school and in the professional world regarding the field of engineering.

Some background info on me - I'm a mechanical engineer working in the field of HVAC design. I started off studying aerospace engineering, but the math was just too much for me. I like mechanical engineering because it is a very wide field with all sorts of job opportunities everywhere.
engineering is not that much difficult...every field in engineering has it's own identity and unique requirement in all the fields...just give your time and understand all the thing technically...!

russ_watters said:
I'm starting this thread as a general guidance thread for prospective engineers. Some typical questions:
-Should I become an engineer?
-What engineering discipline should I study?
-Is engineering difficult?

Alright, here I am: A healthy 25 years old, married with children, graduate with BA degrees in both theater and audio/video editing. My work experience is in Media, Public Relations, Photography and Videography. Myers and Briggs would say I'm creative and right-brained, but I love to learn and to think/analyze. I'm detail-oriented, slightly obsessive-compulsive and compartmental in behavior. I've always had an interest in electronics, taking things apart, and a desire to re-arrange them to create something new, but I've never acted on these desires (apart from several plastic bags in my desk at home that contain various wires and components, and all the insides of our ancient large-screen TV left on my front porch that I couldn't bear to throw away). I've always done well in math and science, but never pursued it or taken any calculus, so I still have a long way to go. I do like what I do, but I have this urge to do more with myself. So my questions echo those above, along with an other relevant advice, and also the following: I'm on par with a lot of 12 year olds when it comes to knowledge, should I go back to earn a BS before looking at other options? And perhaps from a more realistic view: if it does happen that I'm not right for an engineering career, could it be considered as a viable past-time? What knowledge and training would that entail?

Question(s).

Is anyone here a biomedical engineer?

If so, how does biomedical engineering differ from other biomedical and medical research? (Or even BIO engineering.)

And how does biomedical engineering differ from other related engineering fields?

Is it more important to be good at physics/math OR biology/chemistry if one wants to do bio medical engineering?

How is the pay?

Is the work exciting/fulfilling?

I notice a lot of people are saying mechanical is the most broad and versatile. I am in a Chemical Engineering program and I think its equally, if not more versatile. We learn a lot of chemistry (obviously),thermodynamics, process engineering, fluid physics, a little bit of quantum physics, circuits and electronics, materials science and more! There's jobs for chemical engineers in pretty much EVERY field.

Hi.
I am interested in becoming an engineer but after what I have read, math is really important, but I have a C in math is that good enough.

Scottidott said:
Hi.
I am interested in becoming an engineer but after what I have read, math is really important, but I have a C in math is that good enough.

Math classes are VERY different form Math in Engineering.

What I have found from all my math classes (Calculus I, II, Multivariable, Linear Algebra I, II, Infinite Series, to name a few) is that they teach these from an almost esoteric point, with lots of beefy mathematical theory and derivation behind them.

That being said, shift over to a more engineering related class, I'm going to use an example from my Analog Signal Processing classes:

We learned about Fourier Transforms, mathematical equations to make function approximations. We spent about 2 weeks on these, very in depth, talking about periods, derivations, and LOTS of really beefy math talk.

In comes Fourier Series in my electronics class. We learned what we had to know to use it in this scenario.

SO the [long winded] point I'm trying to make is, YES math is VERY important.
HOWEVER, do not be intimidated by all of this math, if you buckle down and don't get wrapped up in all the derivations and ridiculous theory, the practical math can be learned very easily.

This is from an Engineering standpoint. As for an Academic standpoint, it depends what the University you're applying to requirements are.

Maybe some require a higher average for the class, others may take overall averages, so you will have to talk to your high-school adviser or university adviser if you're already in your undergraduate.

Good luck in any future endeavors

I’m also trying to become an engineer, however the only ones that I found appealing to me was from a list off of (this is the list)

Aerospace Engineering
Agricultural Engineering
Biomedical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Software Engineering
Construction Management Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Engineering Management
Engineering Technology
Environmental Engineering
Fire Protection Engineering
Industrial Engineering
Materials Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Petroleum Engineering
Technology Management
Telecommunications Engineering

I love trying to find and solving problems and I keep a scrap book of any idea that i have and came up with some designs that might benefit the world. I also have an act for planning (however i noticed that i plan more down the line than the current future) But back to my point, i found only 3 out of that list that really appeal to me
-Mechanical Eng.
-Civil Eng.
-Eng. Tech

now out of the three i hope you all could fill me into what might be better suited for me as i start, i hope in time that i can research the other fields and perhaps become better in helping or changing the world but as i read from another member at this sight I’m not in it for the money but to help out mankind.

P.S. I hope being a poor speller don’t hurt me lol

Scottidott said:
Hi.

to go along with Harelo, i found out that if you have a real interest in your field that you will find and take the time to really understand your field, in your case Math, as i am in the same boat as you are i have started to self teach myself in Algorithms, however i am not that far into my studies, i have found out ways to improve myself into understanding. Basically what I’m saying is that if you find yourself wanting to learn, you will find a way, perhaps YOUR way. Lol I just hope spelling won't be a problem as I am a real terrible speller.

I’m about to undergo college and was wondering what other courses would help or inspire an engineer trait. i am still not sure what type of engineer i want to become but general or just good common sense courses would be appreciated.
I know that i need to hone my math skill and courses that perhaps let's u think outside of the box. not quite sure what I’m looking for. so any suggestions would be helpful
Thank you in advance.

Detlen1 said:
I’m about to undergo college and was wondering what other courses would help or inspire an engineer trait.

Perhaps majoring in an engineering program could "help or inspire an engineer trait".

Ok so I'm pretty sure this question has been answered but there is way too many pages to go through to find out this answer... Anyways here it goes I'm turning 25 years old and wasted 7 years of my life to pursue music and film, with the other 5.5 billion people pursuing the same thing in over saturated NYC, I'm in school now for film production and screen writing and having a change of heart. I've always had this things for planes, but was to afraid to fly to actually learn to fly one so it hit me about a year ago to design them and get into aerospace engineering.. one of my dilemmas is that i suck in math, but my strong sense is being creative and following through with things, wondering how things do what they do. I want to go back to school and switch my major to engineering but I was wondering if people think its too late to go to school for such a tough field, and what should I do about my weak math skills if I want to pursue this field? i def do not want to let math and my age stop me from pursuing my dream with aviation, but if I should give up hope i would like someone to kick the honest bucket @ me!

Its not too late. Your're young. At my school I know a number of 40+ year olds in the engineering programs and they're doing great.

As for your math, just get a book and start reading. Math doesn't actually require any special talent, just hard work and practice. I play instruments too and I'll tell you, learning math is exactly like learning music. It just takes a lot of time and efficient practice.

Hello everybody, I'm a 19 years old Telematics Engineering student from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_republic" .

You might ask, what is Telematics Engineering? It's in simple words, Electrical Engineering and Communications. [Telematics is the ambiguous term used in countries that native tongue is Spanish]

Anyways, after a little introduction I'll talk about why I decided to study engineering.

Well, since little I always wondered how everything around me worked. But it was in High School when I built a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubens_tube" that it all made sense. Since then I decided that I'll be studying Engineering.

But at the same time as that was a solution it was also a problem...So many fields, so much interests, what would I have to pick to fulfill my need to know how my own world worked. That question was and still is really hard to answer. I actually decided what to study days before the university deadline. And I think I did the right choice, after studying and learning every engineering programm in my university I realized that Electrical Engineering and Communications was the broadest in terms of subjects. You see the curriculum has General Engineering subjects (Physics, Calculus and even Management...), it has Electrical Engineering of course (Circuits, Electronics, Microprocessors...) , it has IT subjects (Programming, Databases Administration...) and finally but not least, it had the Communications subjects (Information Networks, Signal Processing,Network Security...)

It also was what the university offered better labs, because even though the university offers Engineering degrees, the Mech labs are in another campus and I would have had to move.

So here I am, finished my freshman year of college and it was incredibly awesome, it's challenging which I have always liked (I believe that the best things are those that are hard to achieve) and so far so good.

I'm planning to become a Cisco Certified Network Associate next year (I'll be taking the classes outside my career program) and if it's possible the year after that I'll be taking some Mechanical Eng. extracurricular classes. The only thing I'm kind of sad about is that you can't find any Chemical Engineering courses, at least here in my country so I'll probably have to marry a ChemEng so I can fulfill my desires, haha xD

I have only one question, are Chemistry classes really a NEED in Electrical Engineering? My college programm doesn't have a single Chemistry class in my engineering degree. (IT has in every other one though, even in Electrical Engineering [without the communications concentration]).

So thank you for reading and, I'll be around the forums! I already read some questions that I can answer about Circuits!

NanjoeBot said:
Its not too late. Your're young. At my school I know a number of 40+ year olds in the engineering programs and they're doing great.

As for your math, just get a book and start reading. Math doesn't actually require any special talent, just hard work and practice. I play instruments too and I'll tell you, learning math is exactly like learning music. It just takes a lot of time and efficient practice.

This having been said, if you just plain don't get it, avoid aerospace engineering like the plague. If you just plain hate it, see above You will be doing incredibly advanced math very often. If you can't at least tolerate it and find it mildly interesting at times, engineering should be the last thing you look at.

I say go for it though. I hated math till I started taking some college courses in it. Thought it'd be a major problem with engineering. Now I find it pretty cool.

I suck at math and i get a C in math but i love to be creative and create stuff. I make robots and rockets and many other things . I always want to get my creativity out.
I am thinking of becoming an engineer but should I.
Is engineering a creative job or is it only sitting in an office and solving problems.
My Dad is an engineer and he make machines that do the necessary stuff to get wood like wrap it in and paint it and cut.

Should i become an engineer

Engineers are "people who make things out of stuff". You use the Maths you know, and you know the Maths you use.

Scottidott said:
Should i become an engineer
Do you have the patience/work ethic/etc. to teach yourself math or find a tutor to help you bring your skills up to par so that you don't land up on academic probation due to your math grades?

Go for the major you want to, just go into it willing to put in some time and effort to improve.

Is engineering a creative job or is it only sitting in an office and solving problems.
Depends on who you work for and what you work as.

. I want to go back to school and switch my major to engineering but I was wondering if people think its too late to go to school for such a tough field, and what should I do about my weak math skills if I want to pursue this field?
Most days it seems like half the guys in engineering at CCNY are over 30, so you'll fit right in if you plan to take the public school route. In the mean time, take advantage of NYC having some of the cheapest public colleges around and grab some math courses at which ever community college is closest to you (or at your current school).

Hey folks, can anyone tell me how much important is to know Programming C++ or another Computer Langauge in Electrical Engineering and what about AutoCAD.

Would be glad if someone helped, thanx!

As an electrical engineering major I am not required to take AutoCAD and I don't know other EE majors who have taken it. So, it's probably not important.

It is definitely important for EE majors to be familiar with at least one programming language. This is so that you have a general idea about how programming and software works, and also because in some of your classes you might have to write programs. Most EE majors that I know are familiar with at least one of Java, C++, or C.

Hey yall I am a first year in electro-optical engineering. The work is a lot and very tuff. My school moves very fast. We cover two semesters of calc in the first. Next semester we are doing calc 2 which is the equivalent of a graduate level calc. And that's only a 6th of one semsters work, there are other courses too. Like I said a lot of work. My teacher did say this is calc for those who have a death wish. So far my favorite subject.
why I chose to do this to myself? Simple i love it to the core. I enjoy solving problems and thinking through scenerios. I already have tons of experience in live and recording engineering. which is what actually got me into physics. I wanted to be the better recording engineer, so I thought no better way than understanding in depth about sound and how all the gear works. Use that knowledge to my advantage. Then i got hooked to physics.
Thats that...

What is graduate level calculus? What book are you using/topics are you covering?

While I feel both capable and interested in engineering fields, at the same time I'm interested in the business/corporate side of things. Would there be possible positions that incorporate both engineering (most likely chemical) with perhaps some sort of business position for a company?

In my head, I think of engineers as people sitting in labs all day...I'm sure this is not the case, but I'd like to be interacting with people, negotiating, managing, leading, etc - hence where my interest in business comes in. So maybe this is all a stupid question...but could I major in engineering, minor in business, and find a job that kind of fits both fields?