Should I do Biochemistry or Physics

In summary, the speaker is struggling to decide between studying physics or biomedical science. They have a passion for physics but find it difficult, whereas biomed is easier but less exciting. They worry about missing out on knowledge and limiting themselves by choosing biomed. They are interested in nanotechnology and biomedical science, making the decision even more difficult. They seek advice and suggest researching job opportunities and considering personal preferences to make a decision.
ClaireBear1596
I have a choice between studying physics and biomedical science(where I would specialize in biochemistry) and I cannot decide which I should do. I've always had a passion for physics but upon actually studying I've found it very difficult. It's still interesting to me but I'm not sure if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The biomed course on the other hand is much easier to me. I don't find it as exciting as physics but I think that will change when we get on to the more exciting stuff. I think I would be more comfortable in the biomed course but I'd always feel like I let my passion go by letting go of the opportunity to study physics, and I feel like I'd miss out on all the knowledge I would gain from physics. In biomed all my knowledge would be much more narrow, I feel. And I feel like I'm restricting myself to that side of science(medicine) whereas with physics I would have greater options, even the option to get back into the medical side of things. One interest I have is in nanotechnology and maybe particularly nanomedicine but I'm not sure which route into this would be best. I also have many interests in areas of biomedical science so I'm incredibly torn.

Has anyone any advice? I'm incredibly confused and I don't know which to pick and the decision has to be made soon.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What I did to decide my career path was search for jobs and job titles that sounded like they would be fun to do and that paid well enough. It took me 1 day to research many jobs and the commonality was a degree in Electrical engineering. So I figured I would get started there. If you want a job that you can be excited about, go find it and then find out what you need to know or have to get there. That should provide a good enough idea of what to study in school. Look at the big picture. Consider if you want to work 60 or 50 hour work weeks. Decide if you want to travel or be in one place for a long time. Know yourself. The better you know yourself the better you can answer your own question.

1. Should I choose Biochemistry or Physics as my major?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Biochemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the chemical processes within living organisms, while physics is a branch of science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. If you are more interested in the biological and chemical aspects of science, biochemistry may be a better fit for you. If you are more interested in the physical laws and principles that govern the natural world, then physics may be a better choice.

2. Which major has better job prospects?

This also depends on your interests and career goals. Both biochemistry and physics have a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as research, healthcare, and technology. However, the demand for professionals in these fields may vary depending on the current job market and location. It's important to research the industries and companies you are interested in to determine which major may have better job prospects for your desired career path.

3. Is one major more difficult than the other?

Both biochemistry and physics are challenging majors that require a strong foundation in mathematics and science. The level of difficulty may vary depending on your strengths and interests. For example, if you have a strong understanding of chemistry and biology, biochemistry may come more easily to you. If you have a strong understanding of mathematics and problem-solving, physics may be a better fit.

4. Which major has more opportunities for research?

Both biochemistry and physics have numerous opportunities for research, whether it's in academic institutions, government agencies, or private companies. The type of research may differ between the two disciplines, with biochemistry focusing more on biological systems and processes, while physics may focus more on physical systems and phenomena. It's important to explore the research opportunities available in each major and determine which aligns with your interests.

5. Can I double major in Biochemistry and Physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in biochemistry and physics. However, it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It's important to speak with an academic advisor to determine if this is a feasible option for you and to create a plan that allows you to successfully complete both majors within a reasonable timeframe.