1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I do Biochemistry or Physics

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    I have a choice between studying physics and biomedical science(where I would specialize in biochemistry) and I cannot decide which I should do. I've always had a passion for physics but upon actually studying I've found it very difficult. It's still interesting to me but I'm not sure if this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. The biomed course on the other hand is much easier to me. I don't find it as exciting as physics but I think that will change when we get on to the more exciting stuff. I think I would be more comfortable in the biomed course but I'd always feel like I let my passion go by letting go of the opportunity to study physics, and I feel like I'd miss out on all the knowledge I would gain from physics. In biomed all my knowledge would be much more narrow, I feel. And I feel like I'm restricting myself to that side of science(medicine) whereas with physics I would have greater options, even the option to get back into the medical side of things. One interest I have is in nanotechnology and maybe particularly nanomedicine but I'm not sure which route into this would be best. I also have many interests in areas of biomedical science so I'm incredibly torn.

Has anyone any advice? I'm incredibly confused and I don't know which to pick and the decision has to be made soon.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2
    What I did to decide my career path was search for jobs and job titles that sounded like they would be fun to do and that paid well enough. It took me 1 day to research many jobs and the commonality was a degree in Electrical engineering. So I figured I would get started there. If you want a job that you can be excited about, go find it and then find out what you need to know or have to get there. That should provide a good enough idea of what to study in school. Look at the big picture. Consider if you want to work 60 or 50 hour work weeks. Decide if you want to travel or be in one place for a long time. Know yourself. The better you know yourself the better you can answer your own question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook