Should I Double Major in Civil Engineering and Physics or Stick to One?

In summary, the individual is debating whether to double major in Physics and Civil Engineering or choose one, as they are passionate about both subjects. They are seeking advice on whether it is possible to handle a double major and if it is feasible to return to grad school after working for a while. They are also considering their job prospects for doing independent fundamental research in Physics and are curious about the possibility of pursuing Electrical Engineering instead. They mention the required courses for both majors and express their interest in Civil Engineering despite the seemingly contrasting nature of the two fields. They are advised to do research and visit construction sites and research labs to gain more insight into the professions.
Weave
I was Debating whether I should double major in Physics and civil engineering,
or should I pick one?

Problem is I can't, I love math and physics a lot. I would like to be an engineer for a while but I would like to do research in Physics later on too. I mean, I read books on math and physics all the time?
Someone help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Double major if you think you can handle it. And coming back to grad school after working for a while is done all the time. It is more difficult since you will have to refresh your memory of the whole undergrad curriculum, but it can be done.

If you want to do independent fundamental research in physics, you will need a Ph.D. So have that in mind when considering your job prospects for "doing physics research."
Cheers,
Norm

Well, civil engineering and physics are not as closely related as, say, electrical engineering and physics. Is it possible you'd be interested in electrical engineering?

Electrical ...mmmm...I really have my mid set on civil. But regardless they both require Gen. Phyics 1-2 and lab ,calc 1-3 & Diff Equ. After that physics major is 7 classes away.

Civil Engineering and Physics? what an odd couple...

Hey, how old are you? if you're still in High School, chances are you are not familiar with what civil engineers and physicist do. You should do some research, and if possible visit construction sites and Research Labs.

What is the difference between engineering and physics?

Engineering is the application of scientific principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. In other words, engineering uses physics to solve real-world problems.

What are the main branches of engineering?

The main branches of engineering are chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering.

How do engineers use physics in their work?

Engineers use physics to understand and predict the behavior of materials, structures, and systems. They also use principles of physics to design and optimize various products and processes.

What is the importance of physics in engineering?

Physics provides the fundamental understanding of the natural world and its laws, which is crucial in engineering. It helps engineers to analyze and solve complex problems, and to develop innovative solutions for real-world challenges.

Can engineers specialize in both engineering and physics?

Yes, there are interdisciplinary fields such as engineering physics, where engineers specialize in both engineering and physics. This allows them to have a deep understanding of both disciplines and apply their knowledge to a wide range of problems.