Should I major in what I like or what I'm good at?

• Programs
  • Thread starter zeninez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the speaker is trying to decide between a management co-op program and a geological engineering program based on their interests and strengths in physics, maths, and English. They are unsure if they should pursue a program based on their current interest or choose the easier option for potential job stability. They are also considering the possibility of double majoring or transferring if they end up not enjoying their chosen program.
zeninez
Trying to decide between a management co-op program (at University of Toronto Scarborough) and a geological engineering program (at Waterloo or Queen's).

I have so little experience and knowledge of what exactly people do in management (so accounting, finance, marketing, etc.) as well as geo eng. I've researched both majors but really, when it comes down to it, both majors seem equally alright.

I like physics, maths, and english - I'm above average in physics and maths, definitely not the smartest but not the worst either. I don't mind working hard and studying, so I think engineering would be feasible albeit difficult. Geo eng is definitely an interest but I haven't done much geology or Earth sci, so I have no idea if I really really like it or it's just a phase.

In terms of management, I know the degree is easier and I'm probably better at it. I don't find it very interesting though but I know I can get a good, stable job out of it.

So which program should I do? One that I am better at - management - or one that I currently have a greater interest in - geo eng?

*Oh and I was thinking of transferring from my program if I end up hating it, but since business and engineering are so different, I will end up having to redo my first year.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have so little experience and knowledge of what exactly people do in management

This should answer your question. You really don't know you're "better" at management, and even if you did, why would anyone sacrifice what they want to do just to go the "easy" route?

I never said I was going to be a lot better in management, just that relative to engineering, I may get better marks.

Also, the idea of what I really like is the big issue...I find geology and physics interesting, but is it really something I want to base my whole career on? I feel equally for both geo eng and management, only difference is slightly more interest in engineering.

I'm NOT taking the easy route - never have and never will. All I want to do is make the best possible choice given what I know, if it happens to be management then so be it, though as of now (hence the reason for my post) I'm not sure which one to pursue.

My biggest question is is it really worth it to go to university just based on a current interest? Cuz in all honesty, that's all geo eng is for me right now, just an interest :/

You could start as a double major. Take classes for both majors the first year and then if you want to keep both you could keep both, or you could drop one into a minor and focus on the other.

I cannot make the decision for you as it ultimately depends on your personal interests and career goals. However, I can offer some advice to help you make an informed decision.

Firstly, it is important to consider your long-term career goals. What type of job do you see yourself doing in the future? Do you want to work in a business-related field or in the field of engineering? This can help guide your decision towards the program that aligns more with your future career aspirations.

Secondly, it is important to consider your strengths and weaknesses. While it is important to enjoy what you are studying, it is also important to excel in your chosen field. If you are naturally better at management-related subjects and find it easier, it may be a better fit for you. However, if you have a strong interest in geo engineering and are willing to work hard to improve your skills, that could also be a good option.

Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with current students or professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities of each career path. This can give you a better idea of what you can expect and which program may be a better fit for you.

Lastly, keep in mind that it is not uncommon for students to change their major or transfer to a different program. If you do decide to pursue one program and later realize it is not the right fit for you, it is okay to make a change. It may require some extra work, but it is important to pursue a career path that you are truly passionate about.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider your interests, strengths, and long-term career goals when making your decision. Both management and geo engineering can lead to fulfilling and successful careers, so it ultimately comes down to what aligns best with your personal goals and aspirations.

What are the benefits of majoring in what I like?

Choosing a major based on your interests can lead to a more fulfilling and enjoyable college experience. It allows you to explore your passions and develop a deeper understanding and appreciation for a subject. Additionally, studying something you like can motivate you to work harder and excel in your classes.

What are the advantages of majoring in what I'm good at?

Majoring in a subject you are good at can lead to better grades and academic success. It also allows you to build on your existing strengths and skills, making it easier to excel in your coursework. Choosing a major in which you are proficient can also open up more job opportunities in the future.

Can I major in both what I like and what I'm good at?

Yes, it is possible to major in both what you like and what you're good at. Many universities offer double major or minor options, allowing you to pursue multiple interests and strengths. However, this may require careful planning and a heavier course load, so it's important to consider the potential challenges and workload before committing to a double major.

How do I decide between what I like and what I'm good at?

Ultimately, the decision should be based on a combination of your interests, strengths, and long-term goals. Consider how each major aligns with your career aspirations and personal values. You can also speak with academic advisors, take career assessments, and talk to professionals in your desired fields to gain more insight and make an informed decision.

Is it better to major in what I like or what I'm good at for future job opportunities?

There is no one answer to this question as it depends on the individual and their career goals. Some careers may value passion and interest more, while others may prioritize skills and proficiency. It's important to research the job market and industry trends for your chosen majors to determine which path may be more advantageous for your future job opportunities.