1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should I major in what I like or what I'm good at?

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    Trying to decide between a management co-op program (at University of Toronto Scarborough) and a geological engineering program (at Waterloo or Queen's).

I have so little experience and knowledge of what exactly people do in management (so accounting, finance, marketing, etc.) as well as geo eng. I've researched both majors but really, when it comes down to it, both majors seem equally alright.

I like physics, maths, and english - I'm above average in physics and maths, definitely not the smartest but not the worst either. I don't mind working hard and studying, so I think engineering would be feasible albeit difficult. Geo eng is definitely an interest but I haven't done much geology or earth sci, so I have no idea if I really really like it or it's just a phase.

In terms of management, I know the degree is easier and I'm probably better at it. I don't find it very interesting though but I know I can get a good, stable job out of it.

So which program should I do? One that I am better at - management - or one that I currently have a greater interest in - geo eng?

*Oh and I was thinking of transferring from my program if I end up hating it, but since business and engineering are so different, I will end up having to redo my first year.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2
    This should answer your question. You really don't know you're "better" at management, and even if you did, why would anyone sacrifice what they want to do just to go the "easy" route?

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    I never said I was going to be a lot better in management, just that relative to engineering, I may get better marks.

Also, the idea of what I really like is the big issue...I find geology and physics interesting, but is it really something I want to base my whole career on? I feel equally for both geo eng and management, only difference is slightly more interest in engineering.

I'm NOT taking the easy route - never have and never will. All I want to do is make the best possible choice given what I know, if it happens to be management then so be it, though as of now (hence the reason for my post) I'm not sure which one to pursue.

My biggest question is is it really worth it to go to university just based on a current interest? Cuz in all honesty, that's all geo eng is for me right now, just an interest :/

5. Jun 1, 2012 #4
    You could start as a double major. Take classes for both majors the first year and then if you want to keep both you could keep both, or you could drop one into a minor and focus on the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook