Should I Take P-Chem: Advice for CE Seniors

• Thread starter FiguringItOut
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the topic of physical chemistry and the speaker's interest in it despite hearing negative stories. They plan on going to graduate school and believe it may be useful for them. They ask for guidance from others. Another person joins the conversation, stating that they are a physics student and are taking physical chemistry for fun. They reassure the first speaker that it is not a difficult subject if they have already taken thermodynamics. The first speaker is seeking advice from the perspective of a chemical engineering student.
FiguringItOut
I don't have to take it. I will be a senior in chemical engineering next semester and plan on going to graduate school. I have heard nothing but horror stories about P-chem, but I can't help but 1) have a slight interest in the topics (I've already taken 2 semesters of thermo), and 2)feel I will need it in grad school. If anyone has any guidance on the subject, please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
From which perspective should we be advising you?

I am a physics student and taking a year of P chem for fun and breadth.

Physical chemistry is not a nightmare. If you have already taken thermodynamics then you are fine.

1. Should I take Physical Chemistry as a Civil Engineering senior?

It ultimately depends on your personal academic and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry or a related field, taking P-Chem can be beneficial. Additionally, if your desired career path involves working with materials or environmental engineering, P-Chem can provide you with a strong foundation in understanding the physical properties of materials and their interactions. However, if you do not have a strong interest in chemistry or do not plan on pursuing further education in the field, it may not be necessary for you to take P-Chem.

2. Will taking P-Chem as a CE senior be too difficult?

P-Chem is known to be a challenging course, but it is doable for students who are willing to put in the time and effort. It is important to have a strong background in chemistry and mathematics before taking P-Chem. Additionally, time management and seeking help from professors and peers can greatly aid in understanding the material and succeeding in the course.

3. How will taking P-Chem benefit me as a Civil Engineering student?

P-Chem can provide you with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of chemistry, which can be applied in various aspects of Civil Engineering. This includes understanding the properties and behavior of materials, as well as their interactions with the environment. P-Chem can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of engineering.

4. Can I take P-Chem as an elective course?

Yes, you can typically take P-Chem as an elective course as long as you have met the prerequisite requirements. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that P-Chem will count towards your degree requirements and not delay your graduation.

5. What are some tips for success in P-Chem as a CE senior?

Some tips for success in P-Chem include staying organized and managing your time effectively, seeking help from professors and classmates when needed, and actively participating in class and completing all assignments and readings. Additionally, practicing problems and reviewing class material regularly can greatly aid in understanding the material and preparing for exams.