Should I Take the SAT for College Admissions and Beyond?

• Testing
  • Thread starter SticksandStones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sat
In summary: SAT is more popular in the west and the south.I couldn't tell you specifically which is more popular.
SticksandStones
Hello,

I've already taken the ACT (32 composite) and have been accepted to Michigan State University for Physics. Looking at other colleges though, I see that they want the SAT (especially schools like Princeton and MIT). Should I take the SAT then, even if my college doesn't require it if you take the ACT? Will I run into trouble later on like when applying to graduate school? If I decide to transfer to another university later on during my undergraduate degree and they require the SAT will I be able to take it at that time if need be?

I don't know anybody who has taken the SAT so I know nothing about it, and it isn't pressed here like the ACT so I'm not sure what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You absolutely will not need the SAT for applications to graduate school.

You might need the SAT if you intend to transfer from one undergraduate school to another, but I strongly doubt it. Check the schools' websites for their transfer application requirements.

- Warren

That troubles me too (of course it's too late for me). I only took the ACT (twice), and took the subject tests (Physics and Math 2). But I did not take the SAT I. I was talking to a Caltech representative at a college fair who said that I should really take the SAT if I plan on applying there. I don't know why, he wouldn't elaborate, and it was too late to take the SAT (plus I just hate the SAT test in general, and didn't have time to study for it. I was happy with my ACT score.) Hopefully that doesn't count me out. A $60 lottery ticket is too expensive to be rejected on a technicality like "you didn't take the SAT."

Offically, almost all except both tests, however. I just wonder if in reality they have a preference for the SAT.

I've heard that the further west you go the greater the acceptance of the ACT. So it really depends on where you are applying.

Also when you look at the website you may see something like "SAT is required (ACT accepted)" take a guess at which one they prefer.

however if the school accepts both and your ACT score is a lot higher, then I would definatly send that one instead.

the further west? I live in Southern California and i don't think anyone here even considers taking the ACT. i haven't gotten to college yet so maybe taking the ACT makes you stand out or something

No, taking the ACT doesn't make you stand out.

- Warren

Most colleges don't care if you take the ACT or SAT. I took both just in case I happened to do better on one than the other. MIT accepts either ACT or SAT scores without preference over either.

i think ACT is more common along the east coast and in the mid-west

1. Should I take the SAT for college admissions and beyond?

The SAT is one of the most commonly accepted standardized tests for college admissions, and many universities also use it as a factor in scholarship decisions. It is also a requirement for certain programs and graduate schools. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you take the SAT for college admissions and beyond.

2. What is the purpose of the SAT?

The SAT, or Scholastic Aptitude Test, is designed to assess a student's readiness for college-level work. It tests critical thinking, problem-solving, and writing skills, which are important for success in higher education.

3. When should I take the SAT?

The SAT is offered seven times a year, typically in October, November, December, March, May, and June. It is recommended to take the SAT in the spring of your junior year or the fall of your senior year. This will allow you enough time to retake the test if needed before college application deadlines.

4. How can I prepare for the SAT?

There are many resources available for SAT preparation, such as practice tests, study guides, and online courses. It is also recommended to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the test and to practice time management strategies. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or join a study group.

5. Is the SAT the only factor in college admissions?

No, the SAT is just one component of the college admissions process. Universities also consider factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation. It is important to have a well-rounded application to increase your chances of admission.