Is Withdrawing and Retaking a College Course a Good Idea?

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering whether or not to get a late withdrawal from an introductory computer programming course due to personal problems and illness causing their grade to suffer. They are wondering how this will affect their transcript and future plans for graduate school. They are also weighing the option of retaking the course in the future and sacrificing another course. They are seeking advice from peers and considering talking to a dean of students or math professor for guidance.
JG89
Should I Withdraw? Please Help!

Hey guys,

I'm taking an introductory computer programming course (I'm in first year) at a university. The first half of the term went very well, I was getting marks in the 90's. After that, I was going through some personal problems and I was also sick for a week with the flu, which caused my grade to suffer and I missed a lot of material.

At my school, it is too late to withdraw from the course without it showing up on my transcript, but there is a possibility for a late withdrawal (I will have to meet with a counselor and explain my position to get permission for this). On my transcript, it will say LWD, standing for late withdrawal.

If I don't get this late withdrawal, I might pass the class, but with a very bad mark. My question is, should I still get this late withdrawal? How will it look on my transcript in the future to grad. schools when I am going to a PhD in mathematics?

For sure if I get the withdrawal I will retake the course next semester and definitely aim to ace it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

It depends how your school counts late withdrawals in terms of mark averages. I think at my old school a late withdrawal would get counted as a 32%. In which case I'd shoot for the 50%.

Oh yeah, on the website it says that there will be no effect on the GPA or anything.

Is this a required or prerequisite course? If so, you may need to go for it. I can't comment on how grad schools look at a withdrawal, but the odds are quite high that an employer will never look at your transcript except to verify your resume after you are offered a job.

You might also think about which class you will be sacrificing to make up this course in the future. Taking Calc I twice, for example, and finishing with Calc II is probably less impressive in almost all cases than getting a C in Calc I and As in Calc II and III.

Oh, and go ask your dean of students for advice if you haven't. Do that asap. They may even have other options that you don't know about.

It could be. I pick my subject-post next fall. If I pick the pure mathematics category, then this course will not be required for that degree. If I pick the applied mathematics category, then the course turns into a prerequisite. I am not sure which category I am going to pick yet, it is 50/50 between the pure and applied maths.

I will be sacrificing taking introductory to computer science (CSC148), which will cause me not to be able to take enriched theory of computation (CSC240). I was really interested in the 240 course, but that may have to wait for the second year now instead.

1) Still think I should go for the LWD?
2) Maybe I am just trying to convince myself here, but surely a math grad. school won't care about a late withdrawal for a first year non-math course

JG89 said:
It could be. I pick my subject-post next fall. If I pick the pure mathematics category, then this course will not be required for that degree. If I pick the applied mathematics category, then the course turns into a prerequisite. I am not sure which category I am going to pick yet, it is 50/50 between the pure and applied maths.

I will be sacrificing taking introductory to computer science (CSC148), which will cause me not to be able to take enriched theory of computation (CSC240). I was really interested in the 240 course, but that may have to wait for the second year now instead.

1) Still think I should go for the LWD?
2) Maybe I am just trying to convince myself here, but surely a math grad. school won't care about a late withdrawal for a first year non-math course

I don't know enough about your situation to say that you should or shouldn't - just trying to give some information. I would talk to the dean of students and also to whoever teaches the 240 course to see if you might be able to take it with a LWD in 148. Just be sure you won't be set back a year on your degree if you don't have credit for the course. Your advisor is also a good person to keep in the loop if you have one. You could ask a math professor for an opinion if you don't have an advisor yet.

This is all assuming, of course, that you're actually going to improve your marks in future courses :wink:.

Last edited:

You can probably withdraw and then retake it later if you need it. I don't think that the LWD will disappear from your transcript, but your new grade should overwrite the effect (if any) on your GPA. That is, the new mark would replace whatever contribution the LWD made toward your GPA.

Check what your school's policy is though. IMO, it would be better to have a LWD AND an 'A' replacing it then either just the LWD or a crappy grade. That way grad schools will at least see that you cared enough to re-take the course.

But like I an others have said, you need to see what your school's policy is. Talk to an adviser ASAP.

:smile:

1. Should I withdraw from my current experiment?

This decision ultimately depends on the specific circumstances of your experiment and the goals you are trying to achieve. It is important to carefully evaluate the potential risks and benefits of continuing with the experiment or withdrawing. You may also want to discuss your concerns with your supervisor or colleagues to gain additional perspectives.

2. What factors should I consider before withdrawing?

Some important factors to consider include the potential impact on your research goals, the potential consequences for your team or collaborators, the availability of alternative options, and any ethical considerations. You may also want to consider the potential impact on your career or future opportunities.

3. How will withdrawing affect my results?

Withdrawing from an experiment may affect your results, as it may introduce bias or missing data. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact on your results before making a decision. You may also want to consult with a statistician or other experts to assess the potential impact on your data.

4. Can I withdraw from my experiment at any time?

In most cases, you can withdraw from your experiment at any time. However, it is important to carefully review any agreements or contracts you have in place, such as funding agreements or collaboration agreements, to ensure that you are not violating any terms or obligations by withdrawing.

5. What are the potential consequences of withdrawing?

The potential consequences of withdrawing from an experiment may vary depending on the specific circumstances. Some potential consequences may include delays in your research progress, the need to find alternative options, potential damage to your reputation, or potential financial or legal implications. It is important to carefully consider these potential consequences before making a decision.