Should I consider working at Verizon?

• Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the Verizon Wireless representative at the career fair told me that the company has a program specifically designed for graduates in my major, and that I should apply online. I'm conflicted because I don't like Sean Hannity, but I'm also not sure if I can really turn down a job offer.
hammertime
I was at a career fair at my school today and Verizon Wireless was one of the companies that was tabling. I talked to their representative and found out that they have a program designed specifically for graduates in my major (I'll be graduating in December). The representative gave me a few fliers detailing the online application process and the job, but he also gave me his business card and told me to e-mail him my resume after applying online.

Now, I'm pretty excited, but I feel a bit conflicted. This may seem stupid, but here goes. I'm not a very politically passionate guy, but I think that these tea-baggers are batgarbage insane. What does this have to do with Verizon Wireless? Well, it turns out that the company sponsored one of those rallies in West Virginia, a rally which Sean Hannity and Ted Nugent (both of whom I think are, as I said before, batgarbage insane) attended. The CEO of the company later apologized, but I still feel uncomfortable. I know that pretty much every big company in the world is a soulless behemoth operating out of a death star, but I can't help but feel that, if I ended up taking the job (assuming it was offered to me), I'd be somehow endorsing the views of Sean Hannity.

Disclaimer: I said it before, but you can never say it too many times. Sean Hannity is batgarbage insane.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey hammertime.

This is a really good question, but know one thing about sponsorships: these decisions are made by marketers, to leverage the dollars they spend there into new customers. Every successful company does this; it's really a cold calculation. Perhaps they see a population that is under served and they're trying to get a toe hold on that market.

While companies do shy away from very controversial events (you won't see a major corporate sponsorship of the next KKK convention any time soon, for example), it is a fact that Faux...I mean, Fox news does represent the views of a significant percentage of the US population.

I would go ahead and follow through with this, if I were you. In this economy, a job is a job.

And yes, Sean Hannity is batgarbage insane.

So save me some googling minutes. They're non-refundable, you know. And one has dog slobber on it. Yuck.

What's a tea-bagger? I have a pretty good idea of what batgarbage insane is (but have no idea why the profanity filter didn't turn it into stars, but whatever).

BTW, what's your major, and what position are you applying for?

(Disclaimer -- I am a Verizon customer, and don't think I'm batgarbage insane, but am honestly not sure yet until I read the rest of this thread...)

Life is compromise. The key is to not do it so much you feel like you are losing your soul.

I want to tell you to skip it and find another job, but when they came to me to pee in a jar, I smiled, said "Yes, massa" and peed in the jar. So you probably don't want to listen to me on this.

Think of it this way... you can take their money and funnel it into progressive causes. Make a nice sized donation to one after you accept the position.

Anyways, now that you've posted this, you won't get the job. :uhh:

berkeman said:
What's a tea-bagger?
When confused by jargon, I turn to the Urban Dictionary.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

My only advice to the OP is to take the job and then quit if you don't like it. The trick is that it is damn hard to give up money once you have it. Keep a strong will...

Sankaku said:
When confused by jargon, I turn to the Urban Dictionary.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/

My only advice to the OP is to take the job and then quit if you don't like it. The trick is that it is damn hard to give up money once you have it. Keep a strong will...

Thanks for the link -- will bookmark it. Unfortunately it didn't help me understand why Verizon is a bunch of teabaggers.

hammertime said:
I'm not a very politically passionate guy, but I think that these tea-baggers are batgarbage insane.

But whatever. Got more important things to do, people to see...

I will assume that those who seems genuinely confused about teabaggers do not actually live in the US, and explain that there have been a series of anti-tax anti-Obama demonstrations here promoted by Fox News that are being called "Tea Parties". (This is a reference to the Boston Tea Party during our war for independence.)

Please disregard all of the sexual references in the Urban Dictionary in this context.

TMFKAN64 said:
I will assume that those who seems genuinely confused about teabaggers do not actually live in the US, and explain that there have been a series of anti-tax anti-Obama demonstrations here promoted by Fox News that are being called "Tea Parties". (This is a reference to the Boston Tea Party during our war for independence.)

Please disregard all of the sexual references in the Urban Dictionary in this context.

Actually that's a help. So it's an anti-gov-tax reference? Thx.

lisab said:
Faux...I mean, Fox news.

Hmmm... know anyone called moot per chance?

One thing I'm worried about, however, is what others will think. I know that's not supposed to matter. However, I'm going to try to make friends outside of work once I start working (how I'll do it, I don't yet know). If they find out that I work for a company that sponsored a rally hosted by Sean Hannity, won't they essentially think that I endorse the rally and all the nuts who were there?

Hammertime,

There may be people who would conclude that, but companies such as Verizon are large, and all kinds of people probably already work there, so I think you will probably be all right. Companies are not monolithic entities where everyone thinks alike.

hammertime said:
One thing I'm worried about, however, is what others will think. I know that's not supposed to matter. However, I'm going to try to make friends outside of work once I start working (how I'll do it, I don't yet know). If they find out that I work for a company that sponsored a rally hosted by Sean Hannity, won't they essentially think that I endorse the rally and all the nuts who were there?

I understand your fear. Most liberals are this narrow-minded, and you wouldn't want to offend any of them with the truth.

Meh. Insurance companies and investment banks suffer from negative public opinion. Verizon Wireless is a phone company with some annoying commercials.

If you like the work, thicken your skin and take the job.

1. Should I work at Verizon?

This is a personal decision that depends on your individual career goals and values. It is important to research the company culture, job responsibilities, and opportunities for growth before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of working at Verizon?

Verizon offers a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off. They also have a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, employee development, and community involvement.

3. What is the interview process like at Verizon?

The interview process at Verizon typically involves a phone screening, followed by one or more in-person interviews. The company values technical skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong customer focus. Be prepared to provide examples of how you have demonstrated these qualities in past experiences.

4. What is the company culture like at Verizon?

Verizon has a diverse and inclusive culture that values teamwork, innovation, and customer satisfaction. The company also prioritizes work-life balance and offers flexible work arrangements.

5. Are there opportunities for career advancement at Verizon?

Verizon offers a variety of career paths and opportunities for growth within the company. They also provide ongoing training and development programs to support employees in advancing their careers.