So, Should the limit even exist?

• Thread starter gabby989062
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses three different problems related to limits in Calculus. The first problem involves the limit of sqrt(x+1) as x approaches 3, which the book says is 2 but the person is confused because there are two possible values. The expert explains that sqrt(x+1) only denotes the positive square root, so the limit can only be 2. The second problem is about finding the limit of (sqrt(x+delta x) - sqrt(x))/delta x as delta x approaches 0. The expert recommends multiplying by the conjugate of the numerator to remove the radicals. Lastly, the conversation discusses finding the limit of 2/(x^2-1) as x approaches 1 from the negative
gabby989062

Homework Statement

Hello, I have some Calculus problems from my latest homework.

The limit as x approaches 3 of sqrt(x+1)
The back of the book says 2. But I'm wondering why it exists as sqrt(3+1) = sqrt(4) = +-2, so since there are 2 values for this, should the limit even exist?

The limit of delta x as it approaches 0 of (sqrt(x + delta x) - sqrt(x)) divided by delta x.

In similar problems, I factored the denominator out of the numerator so I could cancel the denominator so it could never go to 0. But I don't know how to do this for stuff in the radical sign. The book gives no example of this type of problem.

3. Graphical, numerical, and analytical
a. use a graphing utility to graph the function and estimate the limit.
b. use a table to reinforce your conclusion
c. find the limit by analytic methods.

limit as x approaches 1 from the negative side of 2/(x^2-1).

Since it's from the negative side, I just plugged 0.9999999 for x into my calculator, so the bottom approached 0 as a negative number. So I concluded that it is negative infinity. But isn't plugging in 0.999999 considered the numerical method? How do I do this analytically?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Regarding one: The answer should not be +-2 as the sqrt(x+1) explicitly denotes the positive square root. Hence, if I asked you what sqrt(49) is equivalent to, you likely would not say +-7 but rather 7. However, given x^2 = 49 and asked to solve for x, you should give the answers +-7.

Regarding two: I suggest that you multiply and divide by the conjugate of sqrt(x+deltax) - sqrt(x). sqrt(x+deltax) + sqrt(x) should be the conjugate.

For number three: The only way I can think of doing it somewhat analytically would be to note that for x < 1 your expression is negative; therefore, as x tends to one from x < 1, f(x) -> -infinity

Last edited:

gabby989062 said:
The limit as x approaches 3 of sqrt(x+1)
The back of the book says 2. But I'm wondering why it exists as sqrt(3+1) = sqrt(4) = +-2, so since there are 2 values for this, should the limit even exist?

This is a common misconception that results from a poor understanding of what is happening in, let's say, making x the subject in [tex]x^2=y[/tex]. Yes it will result in [tex]x=\pm \sqrt{y}[/tex] but because if you square either a positive or negative, you result in a positive. However, if you take [tex]\sqt{x}[/tex], x can ony be positive, not negative. So the limit here is only +2.

The limit of delta x as it approaches 0 of (sqrt(x + delta x) - sqrt(x)) divided by delta x.

In similar problems, I factored the denominator out of the numerator so I could cancel the denominator so it could never go to 0. But I don't know how to do this for stuff in the radical sign. The book gives no example of this type of problem.
Try multiplying through by the conjugate of the numerator :wink:
Remember, [tex](x+y)(x-y)=x^2-y^2[/tex] so the radicals will be removed (in the numerator at least).

3. Graphical, numerical, and analytical
a. use a graphing utility to graph the function and estimate the limit.
b. use a table to reinforce your conclusion
c. find the limit by analytic methods.

limit as x approaches 1 from the negative side of 2/(x^2-1).

Since it's from the negative side, I just plugged 0.9999999 for x into my calculator, so the bottom approached 0 as a negative number. So I concluded that it is negative infinity. But isn't plugging in 0.999999 considered the numerical method? How do I do this analytically?
I've never been taught how to find limits that tend to infinite by analytical methods, rather I use observational and logical techniques like yourself.
I can't be of much help here, but I can lend a hand.

How about if we tried dividing through by the highest power of x?

[tex]lim\frac{2}{x^2-1}=lim\frac{\frac{2}{x^2}}{1-\frac{1}{x^2}}=\frac{2}{1-1^{+}}[/tex]
The denominator will tend to 0 from the negative end, thus negative infinite?

1. What is meant by "the limit" in this context?

The limit refers to the maximum or minimum value that a certain variable or function can approach. In scientific and mathematical contexts, it is often used to describe the behavior of a system or process as it approaches a certain point or threshold.

2. Why is it important to consider whether the limit should exist?

Determining whether the limit should exist is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of a system or process. It can also help in predicting and controlling outcomes, as well as identifying potential issues or limitations.

3. How is the existence of a limit determined?

The existence of a limit is determined by evaluating the behavior of a system or process as it approaches a certain value. If the values of the variable or function approach a single, well-defined value, then the limit is said to exist. If the values do not approach a single value, the limit does not exist.

4. Can a limit exist for all variables or functions?

No, not all variables or functions have well-defined limits. Some may have infinite limits, where the values approach positive or negative infinity, and others may have no limit at all. It depends on the specific behavior and properties of the variable or function in question.

5. How does the concept of a limit relate to real-world applications?

The concept of a limit is applicable in many real-world situations, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can help in understanding the behavior of systems and processes, predicting outcomes, and making informed decisions. For example, in physics, the concept of a limit is used in calculating the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion.