Shouldn't engineering majors have as strong of a background in math

• Programs
  • Thread starter Minhtran1092
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the role of mathematics in engineering and whether a rigorous approach to math is necessary for being a good engineer. While some may argue that a strong background in math is important for success in engineering, others believe that the level of rigor required for a mathematics major is not necessary for most engineering jobs. Ultimately, the importance of advanced mathematics may vary depending on the specific field of engineering.
Minhtran1092
mathematics (on the subjects of calculus, linear algebra, differential equation) as math majors? It seems like my electrical engineering curriculum doesn't give calculus proper treatment. It basically had me learn how to do computation but never led me on to study calculus rigorously (as one would do in a "Real Analysis" course). Would you agree that any good engineer is a mathematician?

Physics news on Phys.org
No...calculus is just the baby steps of a mathematics major's undergraduate experience. In fact some come into college with calculus already behind them...

I also do not agree. I will be able to do more advanced math than plenty of non-engineers, but I won't have or need a strong background in number theory, analysis, and proofs that a mathematician must have to succeed. My job will be to create devices, not theorems.

Minhtran1092 said:
mathematics (on the subjects of calculus, linear algebra, differential equation) as math majors? It seems like my electrical engineering curriculum doesn't give calculus proper treatment. It basically had me learn how to do computation but never led me on to study calculus rigorously (as one would do in a "Real Analysis" course). Would you agree that any good engineer is a mathematician?

No. The vast majority of electrical engineers really don't need anything near the level of rigor that a mathematician would see. A lot of them don't even need all the math they learned throughout their degree. Personally, I think the rigorous approach to EE math is interesting can help to provide a deeper understanding, and it's probably useful in some areas of engineering research (maybe like random noise/signal processing?) but I certainly wouldn't say that a rigorous approach to mathematics is necessary for being a good engineer. The amount of benefit most engineers would get from a rigorous approach to math is very small, I think, when compared to the amount of extra work required.

I understand the importance of a strong mathematical foundation in the field of engineering. It is true that engineering majors should have a strong background in mathematics, particularly in subjects such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. These mathematical concepts are essential for understanding and solving complex engineering problems.

I can understand your concern about the lack of emphasis on calculus in your electrical engineering curriculum. While it is important for engineers to have a thorough understanding of mathematical concepts, the focus of an engineering curriculum is often on the practical application of these concepts rather than theoretical rigor. However, this does not mean that engineers are not mathematicians.

In fact, engineering is a highly interdisciplinary field that requires a combination of mathematical, scientific, and practical skills. Engineers must be able to apply mathematical concepts to real-world problems and develop solutions that are both efficient and effective. This requires a deep understanding of mathematical principles, but also the ability to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems.

In conclusion, while engineering majors may not have the same level of mathematical rigor as math majors, they still require a strong foundation in mathematics to be successful in their field. Engineers are indeed mathematicians, but their focus is on applying mathematical concepts to practical problems rather than pure theory. Both math and engineering are essential disciplines that complement each other and contribute to advancements in science and technology.

FAQ: Shouldn't engineering majors have as strong of a background in math

1. Should engineering majors have a strong background in math?

Yes, engineering majors should have a strong background in math. Math is essential to understanding and solving complex engineering problems. It provides the foundation for many engineering concepts and principles.

2. What specific math courses are important for engineering majors?

Some important math courses for engineering majors include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and statistics. These courses cover topics such as derivatives, integrals, matrices, vectors, and probability, which are all relevant to engineering.

3. Why is math important in engineering?

Math is important in engineering because it allows engineers to quantify and analyze physical phenomena and make accurate calculations and predictions. It also helps in designing and optimizing systems and structures for maximum efficiency and functionality.

4. Can engineering majors succeed without a strong math background?

While it is possible for engineering majors to succeed without a strong math background, it will be much more challenging. A strong foundation in math provides the necessary tools and skills for problem-solving and critical thinking, which are crucial in the field of engineering.

5. How can engineering majors improve their math skills?

Engineering majors can improve their math skills by regularly practicing problems, seeking help from professors or tutors, and using online resources such as video tutorials and practice quizzes. It is also important to review and solidify basic math concepts before moving on to more complex topics.

Back