1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show a certain sequence in Q, with p-adict metric is cauchy

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    I left this following question from my excercises last, hoping that solving the others will give me an insight onto how to proceed. But I still don't have a plan on how to start it:

Consider the sequence s_n = Ʃ (k=0 to n) (t_k * p^k) in Q(rationals) with the p-adic metric (p is prime); where t_n is the sequence 1,2,1,1,2,1,1,1,2,... Show that s_n is Cauchy, but [s_n] (the equivalence class of s_n) cannot be expressed by a rational number.

As far as what I know: I'm familiar with the p-adic metric, and what a cauchy sequence is. I just cant think of how to show that s_n is cauchy.

Thank you very much for any advice and hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at |s_n - s_m|. What power of p will divide this?

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Will it be the p-adic absolute value of the partial series from m+1 to n, so that way if I choose N large enough so p^-N is larger or equal to such series (for any n), and p^-N≥ε , then s_n will satisfy the cauchy criterion.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have the right idea.

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    Great! thank you very much. I'll work on cleaning it up.

7. Mar 8, 2012 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No problem. By the way, in general, a series ##\sum a_n## converges in ##\mathbb Q_p## iff ##a_n \to 0## in the p-adic metric (compare to the case in ##\mathbb R## or ##\mathbb C##!). The proof of this general statement should be similar to the proof you're writing up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook