Show condition for canonical transformation

In summary, voko has attempted to solve the homework statement, but is not sure if the symplectic approach described above will work.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Consider the transformation from the variables (q,p) to (Q,P) by virtue of q = q(Q,P), p = p(Q,P) and H(q,p,t) = H(Q,P,t). Show that the equations of motion for Q,P are:
[itex]\partial[/itex]H/[itex]\partial[/itex]Q = -JDdP/dt
[itex]\partial[/itex]H/[itex]\partial[/itex]P = JDdQ/dt
where JD is the Jacobian determinant det([itex]\partial[/itex](q,p)/[itex]\partial[/itex](Q,P))
this shows the transformation is canonical only if JD=1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to write some equations which might help me. They can be found on the attached picture. I would like to know which these can get me on track of the solution. Also I would like to know if my expression for the Jaciobian determinant is correct.
As a side question I would like to know why you can assume the two variables to have same hamiltonian. Is this because the transformation is not time dependent?

Attachments

• equations.png
    equations.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,300
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should start from the equations of motion in the original coordinates and, using the chain rule, express everything in the new coordinates. Then after some algebra you should get the result.

I tried going that way but didn't really get anything pretty. What I got is attached - does it in any way resemble any of your steps?

Attachments

• hamiltonian .png
    hamiltonian .png
    20 KB · Views: 843
It is just a start. Now solve that for the time derivatives of Q and P. You will get at some stage expressions of the kind (dq/dQ dP/dq + dp/dQ dP/dp) (where "d" is the partial derivative symbol). Note that this is just dP/dQ = 0. Likewise, dq/dQ dQ/dq + dp/dQ dQ/dp = dQ/dQ = 1.

This is where I could get to. But then the expressions get ugly and I get really see a way to get dH/dQ.

Attachments

• hamiltonm.png
    hamiltonm.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 678
Collect the terms at the time derivative of Q, and the partial derivatives of H, and simplify. That's what this is really all about.

okay I think I got it now.

But another question. Since this approach is very messy:
Is it not possible to use the symplectic condition for a canonical transformation and prove it from there:

I.e. show that MJMT = J if and only if JD=0.
Here M is the jacobian matrix and J the sympletic matrix, which you probably know.

Last edited:
By the way, you could simplify your life somewhat by introducing
A = dQ/dq, B = dQ/dp, C = dP/dq, D = dP/dp
a = dq/dQ, b = dq/dP, c = dp/dQ, d = dp/dP
X = dH/dQ Y = dH/dP

I managed to show it. Although for some reason I get a 2 in front of my dH/dP such that:

2[itex]\partial[/itex]H/[itex]\partial[/itex]p =JDdQ/dt

did you get that too?

I have attached an explanation of where I get it (also note that I corrected the mistake I made on the last picture - if you noticed that)

Also: Would the symplectic approach described above work?

Attachments

• hamiltonm.png
    hamiltonm.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:
I don't understand that explanation.

I am not sure about he symplectic approach. If I remember correctly, the symplectic matrix is a basis transformation matrix in the cotangent space, so it should itself be the Jacobian in this case.

Did you not have the same calculations? All my point was that I get a dH/dP term from two terms in the sum: namely dp/dP(dH/dP*dP/dp) + dq/dP(dH/dP*dP/dq) = 2dH/dP
did you not get these two?
note all d's are partials

Because they are partial. dp/dP * dP/dp do NOT cancel each other. However, as I remarked above, dp/dP * dP/dp + dq/dP *dP/dq = dP/dP = 1.

ahh yes! I get it now. Thanks so much voko, you're always very helpful ;)

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the fundamental equations of motion (such as Hamilton's equations) and symplectic structure of a physical system. In other words, it is a change of coordinates that maintains the essential properties of a system.

2. Why is it important to determine the show condition for canonical transformation?

The show condition for canonical transformation is important because it ensures that the transformed coordinates and momenta obey the same fundamental equations of motion as the original coordinates and momenta. This is necessary for the transformation to be physically meaningful and preserve the dynamics of the system.

3. How is the show condition for canonical transformation determined?

The show condition for canonical transformation is determined by solving the Hamilton-Jacobi equation for the transformation function. This equation relates the original coordinates and momenta to the transformed coordinates and momenta, and the show condition is a necessary condition for this equation to have a solution.

4. Can the show condition be violated?

Yes, the show condition for canonical transformation can be violated. This usually occurs when the transformation function is not well-behaved, such as when it is not differentiable or invertible. In these cases, the transformed coordinates and momenta may no longer satisfy the fundamental equations of motion.

5. What are some applications of canonical transformations in physics?

Canonical transformations are widely used in various areas of physics, such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. They are particularly useful in simplifying the equations of motion for complex systems and in identifying conserved quantities (such as energy and momentum) for a given system.