Show lim (as n->inf) of 1/n*{2n/(2n+1)}^2 exists without finding limit

• Thread starter natasha13100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
Thanks for the help!In summary, to prove that the limit of 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2 exists without finding the limit, it is shown that the sequence is decreasing and bounded below by 0. This is achieved by using algebraic manipulation and the theorem that states a decreasing sequence that is bounded below must converge. Additionally, the basic arithmetic fact that the terms of the sequence are always less than 4 is noted, even though it is not necessary for the proof.
natasha13100

Homework Statement

Show that lim(n→infinity) 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2 exists without finding the limit.

Homework Equations

probably the following:
Let {xn} be a sequence such that xn≥xn+1 and xn≥M for every n. Then the series is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to do a proof.
n≥1 (n cannot be 0 because 1/n is undefined and n must be an integer since it's the term number)
{xn}2=22/1*42/32*...*(2n)2/(2n-1)2=2/1*(2*4)/32*(4*6)/52*...*((2n-2)*2n)/(2n-1)2*2n
for any integer n>1, ((2n-2)*2n)/(2n-1)2*2n=((2n-1)2-1)/(2k+1)2<1
Therefore, {xn}2<4n and 1/n*{xn}2<4
(Hence, I can prove n≥1 and n≤4 (for n=1, 1/1*{2/1)^2=4 so I included 4)
for n=1 1/1*{2/1}^2=4 and for n=2 1/2*{2*4/(1*3)}^2=64/18=32/9
thus, n=1>n=2 establishing a basis for an induction proof
assume for n=k that 1/k*{2*4*...*2k/(1*3*...*(2k-1))}^2>1/(k+1)*{2*4*...*2(k+1)/(1*3*...*(2k))}^2 so that 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2>1/(n+1)*{2*4*...*2(n+1)/(1*3*...*(2n))}^2

This is where I am stuck. I want to show that the statement 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2>1/(n+1)*{2*4*...*2(n+1)/(1*3*...*(2n))}^2 holds true for n=k+1 but I can't figure out how to get to that point. I know you can't just replace the n's with k+1's in the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
natasha13100 said:

Homework Statement

Show that lim(n→infinity) 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2 exists without finding the limit.

Homework Equations

probably the following:
Let {xn} be a sequence such that xn≥xn+1 and xn≥M for every n. Then the series is convergent.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to do a proof.
n≥1 (n cannot be 0 because 1/n is undefined and n must be an integer since it's the term number)
{xn}2=22/1*42/32*...*(2n)2/(2n-1)2=2/1*(2*4)/32*(4*6)/52*...*((2n-2)*2n)/(2n-1)2*2n
for any integer n>1, ((2n-2)*2n)/(2n-1)2*2n=((2n-1)2-1)/(2k+1)2<1
Therefore, {xn}2<4n and 1/n*{xn}2<4
(Hence, I can prove n≥1 and n≤4 (for n=1, 1/1*{2/1)^2=4 so I included 4)
for n=1 1/1*{2/1}^2=4 and for n=2 1/2*{2*4/(1*3)}^2=64/18=32/9
thus, n=1>n=2 establishing a basis for an induction proof
assume for n=k that 1/k*{2*4*...*2k/(1*3*...*(2k-1))}^2>1/(k+1)*{2*4*...*2(k+1)/(1*3*...*(2k))}^2 so that 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2>1/(n+1)*{2*4*...*2(n+1)/(1*3*...*(2n))}^2

This is where I am stuck. I want to show that the statement 1/n*{2*4*...*2n/(1*3*...*(2n-1))}^2>1/(n+1)*{2*4*...*2(n+1)/(1*3*...*(2n))}^2 holds true for n=k+1 but I can't figure out how to get to that point. I know you can't just replace the n's with k+1's in the proof.

Try using Stirling's formula, together with
[tex] 1 \cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots (2n-1) = \frac{(2n)!}{2 \cdot 4 \cdots 2n} \\
\text{and}\\
2 \cdot 4 \cdots 2n = 2^n \times 1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdots n = 2^n \, n! [/tex]
This would prove the existence of a limit by actually finding it. However, how you do the problem will depend on what tools and results you are allowed to use.

Sometimes it's easier to show ##\frac{a}{b}\geq 1## or ##\frac{b}{a}\leq 1## than it is to show ##a\geq b## (even though these inequalities are equivalent when ##a,b>0##). This is definitely one of those times. You really don't need to use anything fancy like induction or Stirling's formula here. Simple algebra will suffice.

Also, in order to use the theorem that you're trying to use (the one that says a decreasing sequence that is bounded below must converge), you need to show that the sequence has a lower bound. You gave an argument for why the terms of sequence are only defined when the index is nonzero.

And your argument (which is a little bit difficult to follow) for the fact that the sequence is bounded above by ##4## is not really necessary given the theorem that you're trying to use.

gopher_p said:
Sometimes it's easier to show ##\frac{a}{b}\geq 1## or ##\frac{b}{a}\leq 1## than it is to show ##a\geq b## (even though these inequalities are equivalent when ##a,b>0##). This is definitely one of those times. You really don't need to use anything fancy like induction or Stirling's formula here. Simple algebra will suffice.

Thanks for the advice. It really helped. I can't believe I didn't think of such a simple solution. I ended using algebra to show xn>xn+1. Then I hashed out my thoughts about xn<4 and used the theorem I was trying to use.

natasha13100 said:
Thanks for the advice. It really helped. I can't believe I didn't think of such a simple solution. I ended using algebra to show xn>xn+1.

It's a standard trick that you want to keep in your back pocket when trying to prove an inequality. Showing ##a-b\geq 0## is another commonly used path towards proving ##a\geq b## that you'll want to keep handy as well.

Then I hashed out my thoughts about xn<4 and used the theorem I was trying to use.

Well, like I said, that fact is completely irrelevant to proving what you're trying to prove. Furthermore, given that your sequence is decreasing (which have now proven), ##x_n\leq 4## for all ##n## follows from ##x_1=4##, which is basic arithmetic.

gopher_p said:
It's a standard trick that you want to keep in your back pocket when trying to prove an inequality. Showing ##a-b\geq 0## is another commonly used path towards proving ##a\geq b## that you'll want to keep handy as well.

Well, like I said, that fact is completely irrelevant to proving what you're trying to prove. Furthermore, given that your sequence is decreasing (which have now proven), ##x_n\leq 4## for all ##n## follows from ##x_1=4##, which is basic arithmetic.

Yes, but I wanted to make sure I knew how to prove it if I ever needed to. It seems as I get farther into mathematics I forget about using the basics.

Related to Show lim (as n->inf) of 1/n*{2n/(2n+1)}^2 exists without finding limit

1. What is the meaning of lim (as n->inf)?

The notation lim (as n->inf) represents the limit of a function as the input approaches infinity. In other words, it shows the behavior of the function as the input value gets larger and larger.

2. How do you determine if a limit exists without finding the actual value?

To determine if a limit exists without finding the actual value, we can use the Squeeze Theorem. This theorem states that if a function is bounded between two other functions that have the same limit at a certain point, then the function must also have that same limit at that point.

3. What is the significance of finding the limit of a function?

The limit of a function helps us understand the behavior of the function at a certain point or as the input value approaches a certain value. It allows us to determine if the function is continuous, has a discontinuity, or has a vertical asymptote at that point.

4. Can the limit of a function exist at a certain point but not be equal to the function's value at that point?

Yes, the limit of a function can exist at a certain point but not be equal to the function's value at that point. This can occur when the function has a removable discontinuity or a jump discontinuity at that point.

5. How can we use mathematical techniques to show that a limit exists?

There are several mathematical techniques we can use to show that a limit exists. These include using algebraic manipulations, the Squeeze Theorem, the Sandwich Theorem, and L'Hopital's Rule. These techniques help us simplify the function and determine its behavior as the input value approaches a certain point.