Show subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving Sobolev spaces and a specific subspace of H^1([0,1]). The goal is to show that the subspace is closed, which requires demonstrating that u(0) = u(1). The conversation also briefly touches on constructing an example of a non-separable Hilbert Space.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
[SOLVED] Show subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed

Homework Statement

I have an assignment that deals with some Sobolev spaces but I have never worked with them before. Only the definitions are given.

Consider the Sobolev space

[tex]W^{1,2}([0,1])=H^1([0,1])=\{u\in C([0,1]): \mbox{ there exists } u'\in L^2[0,1] \mbox{ such that } u(t)-u(0)=\int_0^tu'(s)ds \ \ \forall t \in [0,1]\}[/tex]

It is a Hilbert space with the inner product

[tex](u,v)=\int_0^1[u'v'+uv][/tex]

I am trying to show that the following subspace of H^1 is closed:

[tex]E=\{u\in H^1([0,1]):u(0)=u(1)\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I say, let u_n-->u (in H^1); we must show that u(0)=u(1).

u_n-->u means that ||u_n - u||-->0 in the norm induced by the above inner product. So it means

[tex]\int_0^1[(u_n-u)'^2+(u_n-u)^2] \rightarrow 0[/tex]

or, using the fact that [tex]||u_n-u||^2=(u_n-u,u_n-u)=(u_n,u_n)-2(u_n,u)+(u,u)[/tex],

[tex]\int_0^1[(u_n')^2+u_n^2] - 2\int_0^1[u_n'u'+u_nu]+\int_0^1[(u')^2+u^2]\rightarrow 0[/tex]I don't see how to retrieve u(0)=u(1).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
solve-

how to construct an example of a non-separable Hilbert Space?

can anyone suggest me something please?

1. What is "Show subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed"?

"Show subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed" is a statement in mathematical analysis that refers to proving that a particular subset of the function space H^1[0,1] is a closed set.

2. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. In this context, the subspace of H^1[0,1] is a subset of the function space that satisfies certain conditions.

3. What is H^1[0,1]?

H^1[0,1] is a function space that consists of all functions defined on the interval [0,1] that are square integrable and have a square integrable derivative. In other words, the functions in this space have finite energy and their first derivatives are also square integrable.

4. Why is it important to show that the subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed?

Proving that the subspace of H^1[0,1] is closed is important because it ensures that the subset is a complete vector space. This allows us to use tools and techniques from functional analysis to study the properties of this subset.

5. How is the subspace of H^1[0,1] shown to be closed?

The subspace of H^1[0,1] can be shown to be closed by using the properties of convergence in function spaces. Specifically, we can show that any sequence in the subspace that converges in the H^1[0,1] norm also converges to a function in the subspace.