1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that f(E) is dense in f(X) if E is dense in X

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f[/itex] be a continuous mapping of a metric space [itex]X[/itex] into a metric space [itex]Y[/itex]. Let [itex]E[/itex] be a desnse subset of [itex]X[/itex]. Prove that [itex]f(E)[/itex] is dense in [itex]f(X)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Choose any [itex]x\in X[/itex].

Since [itex]x\in X[/itex] it follows that [itex]f(x)\in f(X)[/itex]. We need to show that [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]f(E)[/itex] or is a point of [itex]f(E)[/itex]. If [itex]f(x)\in f(E)[/itex] then we are done so suppose not. Let [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] be given. [itex]f[/itex] is continuous so [itex]f(p)\in N_{\epsilon}(f(x))[/itex] whenever [itex]p\in N_{\delta}(x)[/itex] for [itex]\delta>0[/itex] and we know that there exists a [itex]p\in N_{\delta}(x)[/itex] such that [itex]p\not=x[/itex] and [itex]p\in E[/itex] since [itex]x[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]E[/itex]. [itex]p\in E[/itex] so [itex]f(p)\in f(E)[/itex] and from continuity we saw that [itex]f(p)[/itex] is contained in the neighborhood of [itex]f(x)[/itex], [itex]N_{\epsilon}(f(x))[/itex], whenever [itex]p\in N_{\delta}(x)[/itex]. The neighborhood of [itex]f(x)[/itex] and the point [itex]p[/itex] were chosen arbitrarily. We have shown that for any neighborhood of [itex]f(x)[/itex] there exists a point [itex]f(p)[/itex] contained in that neighborhood such that [itex]f(p)\not=f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(p)\in f(E)[/itex]. Hence [itex]f(x)[/itex] is a limit point of [itex]f(E)[/itex]. It follows that [itex]f(E)[/itex] is dense in [itex]f(X)[/itex].

Could someone take a look over this proof and correct me on any errors?
    Rereading this I think I already see a problem because I haven't shown that [itex]f(x)\not=f(p)[/itex] but this can be easily justified because we assumed that [itex]f(x)\not\in f(E)[/itex]. Since [itex]f(p)\in f(E)[/itex] it can't be that [itex]f(x)=f(p)[/itex] or else we contradict ourselves.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks ok to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted