How does Newton's Second Law Relate Velocity and Force?

• Thread starter beecher
  • Start date
In summary, Newton's second law states that F=dp/dt. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, then F=gamma3ma. However, if you want to solve for gamma3ma, you first need to solve for dp/dt and gamma*mv. Once you have solved for these two variables, you can use the product rule to solve for gamma3ma.
beecher

Homework Statement

Newton's second law is given by F = dp/dt. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that F = gamma3ma

Homework Equations

p = gamma*mv
gamma = 1/(1-v2/c2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue where to begin. This is what I've done so far, but I don't think I'm even on the right track.

F = dp/dt = gamma3ma = [1/(1-v2/c2)1/2]3ma
=1/(1-v2/c2)3/2ma
=1/(1 - 3v2/c2 + 3v4/c4 - v6/c6)1/2ma

Thats as far as i get on the right side.

For the left, all i can manage is dp/dt = d/dx p = d/dx gamma*mv
This is where I get confused. gamma and m are constant, so does dp/dt = gamma*m*dv/dt?

Some clarification would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
beecher said:

Homework Statement

Newton's second law is given by F = dp/dt. If the force is always parallel to the velocity, show that F = gamma3ma

Actually, Newton's second law says that [tex]\textbf{F}=\frac{d\textbf{p}}{dt}[/tex], this is why the condition that "force is always parallel to velocity" is important. ...Do you see why this condition means [itex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]?

Hint: Think of a particle undergoing uniform circular motion, its speed is constant, yet its momentum is still changing...why?

For the left, all i can manage is dp/dt = d/dx p = d/dx gamma*mv
This is where I get confused. gamma and m are constant, so does dp/dt = gamma*m*dv/dt?

Some clarification would be great.

Thanks

[itex]\gamma[/itex] is dependent on the speed of the particle, right? Does the speed of the particle change with time when a force is applied parallel to its motion? If so, then [itex]\gamma[/itex] will have implicit time dependence, and you will need to use the product rule to take the derivative [itex]\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]

Last edited:
That makes sense, I wasnt thinking when I said gamma was constant.
So now I have dp/dt = d/dt(gamma*mv) = m d/dt (gamma*v) and I use product rule
= m (v*d/dt gamma + gamma dv/dt) and now I need to find d/dt gamma
gamma = (1-v2/c2)-1/2 and I use chain rule
d/dt gamma = -1/2 (1-v2/c2)-3/2d/dt(1-v2c-2) which is another product rule
d/dt (1-v2c-2) = -2vc-2+2c-3v2
so now plugging back in I get:
dp/dt = m (v[-1/2 (1-v2/c2)-3/2(-2vc-2+2c-3v2)] + gamma dv/dt)
This = m [v([(-1)(-2v/c2+2v2/c3)]/2gamma3) + gamma*dv/dt]
=m[v([v/c2-v2/c3]/gamma3)]+gamma*dv/dt
=m[(v2/c2-v3/c3)(gamma-3)+gamma*dv/dt]
=(v2/c2-v3/c3)gamma-3m + gamma*dv/dt*m
I am now a lot closer to the final solution, however I still can't get the last step.
I have gamma*dv/dt*m which = gamma*ma on the right side.
I need to make it gamma3ma.
One more tip should do it.
Thanks

beecher said:
which is another product rule
d/dt (1-v2c-2) = -2vc-2+2c-3v2

Ermm...isn't the speed of light a constant? You don't need the product rule here, but you do need the chain rule:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)=\frac{-2v}{c^2}\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]

Your right, I've been doing this for so long my brain is sluggish.
So dp/dt = m(v[-1/2(1-v2/c2)-3/2(-2v/c2dv/dt)] + gammadv/dt)
=m(v[gamma3v/c2dv/dt] + gammadv/dt)
=m(gamma3v2/c2dv/dt + gamma dv/dt)
=mgammadv/dt(gamma2v2/c2+1)
So thanks to your help I can now see the end in sight but still one last hump to get over to finally get the gamma3ma that I am looking for.

Concentrate on the term in brackets:

[tex]\gamma^2\frac{v^2}{c^2}+1=\frac{v^2}{c^2\left(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)}+1=\frac{v^2}{c^2-v^2}+1[/tex]

put everything over a common denominator and simplify...

[v2/(c2-v2)]+[(c2-v2)/(c2-v2)]
=c2/c2-v2
Sub back into the rest
m*gammac2dv/dt/(c2-v2)
=[(mc2dv/dt)/(1-v2/c2)1/2] / c2-v2
=[(mc2dv/dt)/(1-v2/c2)1/2] * 1/(c2-v2)

Sure, but if you divide both the numerator and denominator of [itex]\frac{c^2}{c^2-v^2}[/itex] by [itex]c^2[/itex], what do you get?

Aha!

Then it becomes gamma2 giving me mgammadv/dt(gamma2)
=mgamma3dv/dt
=gamma3ma
=Solution! :)

Thanks you very much, your help has been greatly appreciated!

What is the equation F = gamma^3*ma used for?

This equation is used to calculate the force (F) acting on an object with mass (m) and acceleration (a) in a relativistic scenario, where gamma (γ) represents the Lorentz factor.

What is the Lorentz factor (gamma) in this equation?

The Lorentz factor (γ) is a term used in special relativity to describe the relationship between the observed time, length, and mass of an object in motion compared to its rest frame. In this equation, it is raised to the third power to account for the relativistic effects on the force acting on an object.

How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived from the relativistic equation for force, F = γma, by taking into account the change in mass due to relativistic effects. The Lorentz factor (γ) is used to adjust the mass (m) in the equation to reflect its observed value in a moving frame of reference.

What are some examples of when this equation would be used?

This equation would be used in scenarios where the speed of an object is significant enough to cause relativistic effects, such as in particle accelerators or high-speed spacecraft. It can also be used in calculations related to the theory of special relativity, such as the energy-momentum relationship.

What other factors can affect the force acting on an object besides mass and acceleration?

The force acting on an object can also be affected by factors such as the object's shape, size, and composition, as well as external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, in a relativistic scenario, the force acting on an object may also be affected by its velocity and the velocity of the observer relative to the object.