Show that Γ(x+1) = exp(-x)*x^(1/2)*

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary: Obviously I can't let u = x or anything like that, but I am stuck here....I am just not sure what you are getting at here. If I make the substitution t = x + \sqrt{x}u, I gett = x + \sqrt{x}u \Rightarrow dt = \sqrt{x}\,du and the integral becomes\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}u}\left (1 +\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,dt which does not resemble the RHS of (13) in any way, shape or form.Furthermore, if I just substitutet = x
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I need to prove the relation:

[tex]
\Gamma(x+1) = e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}t}\left (1 +\frac{t}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,dt \qquad(1)
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of Gamma function ?

[tex]
\Gamma(x) = \int_0^\infty t^{x - 1}e^{-t}\,dt
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have NO idea how to start this. I figured I should start out with the definition:

[tex]
\Gamma(x+1)=\int_0^\infty t^{x}e^{-t}\,dt \qquad(2)
[/tex]

But this does not do much. I tried letting u2 = t -->dt = 2u*du and putting that back into (2):

[tex]
\Gamma(x+1) = 2\int_0^\infty u^{2x}e^{-u^2}u\,du \qquad(3)
[/tex]

Am I heading anywhere good?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with (2) and substitute

[tex] t = 1 + \frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}.[/tex]

fzero said:
Start with (2) and substitute

[tex] t = 1 + \frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}.[/tex]

Hi fzero :smile: I will try this, but may I ask how you decided on this substitution? I am trying to learn how to approach these, but it is proving to be quite difficult. Thanks.

The integration variables in both formulae are linearly related (by comparing the exponents of the exponentials), so comparing the expressions that appear raised to the [tex]x[/tex] power give the relation up to possible constant factors.

I seem to be making progress, but I am again getting stumped; using your suggestion:

[tex]
t = 1 + \frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\Rightarrow dt = \frac{du}{\sqrt{x}}\qquad(4)
[/tex]

plugging into (2):

[tex]
\Gamma(x+1) = \int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})^x*
e^{-(1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})}\,\frac{du}{\sqrt{x}}\qquad(5)
[/tex]

If I let [itex]\alpha = (1+u/\sqrt{x})\Rightarrow d\alpha = du/\sqrt{x}[/itex] and hence

[tex]
\Gamma(x+1) = \int_0^\infty \alpha^xe^{-\alpha}\,d\alpha \qquad(6)
[/tex]

:smile: Wow ... I think I am back to the start now! I have worked in a complete circle ... Doh!

Oh, the "constant" factor I mentioned got me, sorry. Try

[tex] t = x + \sqrt{x} u[/tex]

fzero said:
Oh, the "constant" factor I mentioned got me, sorry. Try

[tex] t = x + \sqrt{x} u[/tex]

Ha! Ok .. I'll try this one :smile: fzero, I am sorry, I don't really understand your explanation of how you are choosing these substitutions. We are trying to show that

[tex]

\Gamma(x+1)=\int_{t=0}^\infty t^{x}e^{-t}\,dt =
e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{t = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}t}\left (1 +\frac{t}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,dt
\qquad(7)[/tex]

So what you are saying is that there is some sort of relationship between the bounds of the integral on the left and the integral on the right ... correct? Should I change the dummy variable in one of the integrals to make a distinction? Or are they both actually 't' ?

Also, if I make your substitution [itex] t = x + \sqrt{x} u[/itex] then [itex]t\rightarrow\infty \quad u\rightarrow\infty \text{ and }t\rightarrow0 \quad u\rightarrow-x/\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is not the lower bound on the integral on the right.

Last edited:
:devil: This is ridiculous. I feel like your original substitution should work. Let's back up a little here. It is being claimed that

[tex]

\int_{t=0}^\infty t^{x}e^{-t}\,dt =
e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}u}\left (1 +\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,du
\qquad(8)
[/tex]

Now I believe that what you were trying to say is that if we compare coefficients of like powers of x, we might infer a substitution. So we might say that [itex]t = 1+u/\sqrt{x}\Rightarrow dt = du\sqrt{x}[/itex] would make a good substitution. Doing so yields:

[tex]
\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})^x*
e^{-(1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})}\,\frac{du}{\sqrt{x}}\qquad (9)
[/tex]

Which is getting much closer to the right-hand-side of (8). As a matter of fact, if we equate the RHS of (8) to (9), we have:

[tex]
e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}u}\left (1 +\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,du
=
\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})^x*
e^{-(1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})}\,\frac{du}{\sqrt{x}}
\qquad(10)[/tex]

So I need to show that this is an identity. I start by integrating the RHS of (10) by parts. Letting [itex]u^* = (1 + u/\sqrt{x})^x\Rightarrow du^* = x(1 + u/\sqrt{x})^{x-1}/\sqrt{x}\,du[/itex] and let [itex]dv = e^{-(1+u/\sqrt{x})}du\Rightarrow v = -\sqrt{x}e^{-(1+u/\sqrt{x})}[/itex]

Then our integral becomes:

[tex]
I =
u^*v - \int v\,du^* = \left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}*(1 + \frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})^x*-\sqrt{x}e^{-(1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})}\right ]_{u=\sqrt{x}}^\infty
\quad - \quad
\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}\int_{u=\sqrt{x}}^\infty (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}^{x-1}\,du\qquad(11)
[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow I = x\int_{u=\sqrt{x}}^\infty \sqrt{x}e^{-(1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})}(1 + \frac{u}{\sqrt{x}})^{x-1}\,du
\qquad(12)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
Also, if I make your substitution [itex] t = x + \sqrt{x} u[/itex] then [itex]t\rightarrow\infty \quad u\rightarrow\infty \text{ and }t\rightarrow0 \quad u\rightarrow-x/\sqrt{x}[/itex] which is not the lower bound on the integral on the right.

[tex]u\rightarrow-x/\sqrt{x} = - \sqrt{x}[/tex]

is correct.

To see where this came from, compare the exponentials,

[tex] e^{-t} \rightarrow e^{-x - \sqrt{x} u}. [/tex]

fzero said:
[tex]u\rightarrow-x/\sqrt{x} = - \sqrt{x}[/tex]

is correct.

To see where this came from, compare the exponentials,

[tex] e^{-t} \rightarrow e^{-x - \sqrt{x} u}. [/tex]

Oh jeesh ... man .. you think (12) is useless then? Probably eh? ...

So why did you compare the exponentials and not, say, the t^x with (1+u/sqrt(x))^x ?

OK. So I have used the substitution [itex] t = x + \sqrt{x} u [/itex] in (2). I have gotten my integral to look like the following:

[tex]I = e^{-x}\sqrt{x}\int_{-\sqrt{x}}^\infty\,\,\frac{e^{-\sqrt{x}u}}{\sqrt{x}}\frac{x}{\sqrt{x}}\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1}\,du
\qquad(13)[/tex]

I am not sure how to make (13) look like

[tex]e^{-x}x^{x+1/2}\int_{u = -\sqrt{x}}^\infty e^{-\sqrt{x}u}\left (1 +\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^x\,du \qquad(14) [/tex]

any thoughts? I can't even fathom how I might get an xx factor in there ...

Well

[tex]\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1} = x^{x-1} \left (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^{x-1},[/tex]

but I think you started with the formula for [tex]\Gamma(x)[/tex] instead of [tex]\Gamma(x+1)[/tex].

So why did you compare the exponentials and not, say, the t^x with (1+u/sqrt(x))^x ?

Well I did the first time, I was just too fast and got the coefficient wrong.

Hello again fzero! :smile: Hmmm ... I started with

[tex]\Gamma(x+1) = \int_0^\infty t^{(x+1)-1}e^{-t}\,dt =
\int_0^\infty t^{x}e^{-t}\,dt \qquad(14)[/tex]

so I think that I started with the right formula.

And how are you finding that

[tex]
\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1} = x^{x-1} \left (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^{x-1},
[/tex]

? Can you give me a hint? I am just not seeing it

Saladsamurai said:
Hello again fzero! :smile: Hmmm ... I started with

[tex]\Gamma(x+1) = \int_0^\infty t^{(x+1)-1}e^{-t}\,dt =
\int_0^\infty t^{x}e^{-t}\,dt \qquad(14)[/tex]

so I think that I started with the right formula.

If that's true, then [tex]\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x}[/tex] should appear instead of [tex]\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1}[/tex].

And how are you finding that

[tex]
\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1} = x^{x-1} \left (1+\frac{u}{\sqrt{x}}\right )^{x-1},
[/tex]

? Can you give me a hint? I am just not seeing it

Just factor out [tex]x[/tex] from the expression inside the parentheses. I probably made it look a bit confusing by swapping terms around the + sign.

fzero said:
If that's true, then [tex]\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x}[/tex] should appear instead of [tex]\left (\sqrt{x}u+x \right )^{x-1}[/tex].

Just factor out [tex]x[/tex] from the expression inside the parentheses. I probably made it look a bit confusing by swapping terms around the + sign.

Hi fzero! :smile: The (x - 1) occurs when I integrate by parts along the way... Perhaps I do not need to actually integrate?

Saladsamurai said:
Hi fzero! :smile: The (x - 1) occurs when I integrate by parts along the way... Perhaps I do not need to actually integrate?

You don't need to integrate by parts. All that does is show that [tex]\Gamma(x+1) = x \Gamma(x)[/tex], which is important but not directly relevant to this identity.

Thanks for your patience fzero! I have solved it; I made it more difficult by trying to integrate when I did not have to. I posted the solution below. I would like to go back to something for a moment if you have time to talk about it. You guessed the substitution by comparing the exponents on 'e' but you also made it seem like you could have guesses them by comparing the 'bases' being raised to the 'x.'

So in the same way that I needed to put the factor of e-x back inside of the integral to get the whole story --> e-(√(x)u + x) and then comparing to e-t I also could have put the factor of
xx back inside of the integral to get (√(x)u + x)x which could be compared to tx to make the same inference.

I guess I do understand how you got the substitution now, which is much more important to me then the answer to this problem.

Proof3a.jpg

Related to Show that Γ(x+1) = exp(-x)*x^(1/2)*

1. What is the function Γ(x+1)?

The function Γ(x+1), also known as the Gamma function, is a mathematical function that is an extension of the factorial function. It is defined for all complex numbers except for negative integers and zero.

2. How is the function Γ(x+1) related to exp(-x)?

The function Γ(x+1) is closely related to the exponential function, exp(-x), as it can be expressed as Γ(x+1) = exp(-x)*x^(1/2). This relationship allows for the calculation of the Gamma function using the exponential function.

3. What is the significance of the factor x^(1/2) in the function Γ(x+1)?

The factor x^(1/2) in the function Γ(x+1) is related to the square root function and is used to adjust the values of the Gamma function for negative real numbers. This allows for the extension of the Gamma function to include non-integer values.

4. How is the function Γ(x+1) used in scientific research?

The Gamma function is used in various fields of science and mathematics, including statistics, quantum mechanics, and number theory. It is particularly useful in the calculation of integrals and in probability distributions.

5. Can the function Γ(x+1) be graphed?

Yes, the function Γ(x+1) can be graphed, but it is a complex-valued function and therefore cannot be visualized on a traditional two-dimensional graph. However, it can be plotted on a three-dimensional graph or represented using contour plots.