1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Q_F is not a division ring.

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be a finite field of characteristic p∈{2,3,5}. Consider the quaternionic ring, Q_F={a_1+a_i i+a_j j+a_k k|a_1,a_i,a_j,a_k ∈ F}. Prove that Q_F is not a division ring.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let α=1+i,β=1+i+j∈QF. Then

αβ=(1+i)(1+i+j)=(1−1)+(1+1)i+(1+1)j+(1−1)k=2i+2j

With characteristic p=2, αβ=0.

With characteristic p=3, αβ=2(i+j).

With characteristic p=5, αβ=3(i+j).

As I keep working with the method I have the following:

αγ=(1+i)(i+2j)=(−1)+(1)i+(2)j+(2)k=−1+i+2j+2k

p=2, αγ=1+i. p=3, αγ=2+i+2j+2k. p=5, αγ=4+i+2j+2k.

βγ=(1+i+j)(i+2j)=(−1−2)+(1)i+(2)j+(2−1)k=−3+i+2j+k

p=2, βγ=1+i+k. p=3, βγ=i+2j+k. p=5, βγ=2+i+2j+k.

I don't get any zero divisors, I may make some error somewhere because I should get zero divisors when p=3,5 also.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A division ring is a ring in which every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. So to prove that a ring is not a division ring, you need to find an element that has no multiplicative inverse.

The manipulations you have done seem to be related to a different question, which is whether the ring has any zero divisors. Do you have a theorem that says the two questions are related?

You are likely to receive more help if you use LaTeX to present the problem clearly. The first line that defines Q_F is too hard to decipher in the format you have used.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted