ODE with base excitation caused by a half sine wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the displacement response of a car's suspension system while traveling on a bumpy road. The system is modeled as a periodic half sine wave with a stiffness of ##k = 5\times 10^6## N/m and an effective mass of ##m = 750## kg. The damping of the system is assumed to be negligible. The solution involves using the superposition principle and the Fourier series representation of the bumpy road to find the three individual displacement responses, which are then added together to get the final solution. However, there may be a sign error in the final piece of the solution, which is unable to be verified.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

The suspension system of a car traveling on a bumpy road has a stiffness of ##k = 5\times 10^6## N/m and the effective mass of the car on the suspension is ##m = 750## kg. The road bumps can be considered to be periodic half sine waves with period ##\tau##. Determine the displacement response of the car. Assume the damping of the system to be negligible. Hint: The Fourier series representation of the bumpy road, ##y(t)##, is given by
$$
y(t) = \frac{1}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\pi t) - \frac{2}{\pi}
\Big(\frac{\cos(4\pi t)}{3} + \frac{\cos(8\pi t)}{15} +
\frac{\cos(12\pi t)}{35} + \cdots\Big)
$$

Homework Equations

$$
\frac{2}{\pi}
\Big(\frac{\cos(4\pi t)}{3} + \frac{\cos(8\pi t)}{15} +
\frac{\cos(12\pi t)}{35} + \cdots\Big) = \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4j\pi t)}{4j^2 - 1}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If I solve each piece separately and use the superposition principle, the first two terms work as solution but I can't verify that the final piece is so I am assuming something is wrong.
\begin{align*}
750\ddot{x} + 5\times 10^6x
&= \frac{1}{\pi} + \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\pi t) - \frac{2}{\pi}
\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4j\pi t)}{4j^2 - 1}\\
750\ddot{x} + 5\times 10^6x &= \frac{1}{\pi}\\
x_{p1}(t) &= \frac{1}{5\times 10^6\pi}\\
750\ddot{x} + 5\times 10^6x &= \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\pi t)
\end{align*}
Here we will let ##x_{p2} = A\cos(2\pi t) + B\sin(2\pi t)## Then
$$
A\cos(2\pi t)\big[5\times 10^6 - 3000\pi^2\big] +
B\sin(2\pi t)\big[5\times 10^6 - 3000\pi^2\big]
= \frac{1}{2}\sin(2\pi t)
$$
Therefore, ##A = 0## and ##B = \frac{1}{10\times 10^6 - 6000\pi^2}##.
\begin{align*}
x_{p2}(t) &= \frac{1}{10\times 10^6 - 6000\pi^2}\sin(2\pi t)\\
750\ddot{x} + 5\times 10^6x
&= \frac{-2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4j\pi t)}{4j^2 - 1}
\end{align*}
No matter how I have tried to solve this final piece, the solution doesn't seem to work out though. I end up getting ##A_j = \frac{-2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}## and ##B = 0##. Then
$$
\frac{-2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}\cos(4\pi jt) + 0\sin(4\pi j t) = \cos(4\pi j t - \phi_j)
$$
Therefore, ##\phi = \tan^{-1}(0/A) = 0## and ##R = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2} = \frac{2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}\cos(4\pi jt)##.
$$
x_{p3} = \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{k-16\pi^2j^2m}
$$
and
$$
x_p(t) = \frac{1}{5\times 10^6\pi} + \frac{1}{10\times 10^6 - 6000\pi^2}\sin(2\pi t) + \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{5*10^6-12000\pi^2j^2}
$$
but I am unable to verify
$$
\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{5*10^6-12000\pi^2j^2}
$$
as a solution so I don't think it is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made a sign error, but otherwise, everything looks fine. How are you trying to verify the solution?

vela said:
I think you made a sign error, but otherwise, everything looks fine. How are you trying to verify the solution?

Differentiating twice x_{p3}times m + k times x_{p3} = RHS sum

Dustinsfl said:
$$750\ddot{x} + 5\times 10^6x = \frac{-2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4j\pi t)}{4j^2 - 1}$$ No matter how I have tried to solve this final piece, the solution doesn't seem to work out though. I end up getting ##A_j = \frac{-2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}## and ##B = 0##.
You don't need to do the next step of finding a phase angle. You can write down the solution immediately:
$$ x_{p3} = \sum_{j=1}^\infty [A_j \cos(4\pi jt) + B_j \sin(4\pi jt)] = \sum_{j=1}^\infty-\frac{2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}\cos (4\pi j t).$$
Then
$$\frac{-2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}\cos(4\pi jt) + 0\sin(4\pi j t) = \cos(4\pi j t - \phi_j).$$ Therefore, ##\phi = \tan^{-1}(0/A) = 0## and ##R = \sqrt{A^2 + B^2} = \frac{2}{\pi(k-16\pi^2j^2m)}\cos(4\pi jt)##.
The sign error crept in here. You should have gotten ##\phi_j = \pi## because you ended up with R = -A. In fact, you need to be a little more careful. The way you defined R, you have R = |A| because the principal square root is always positive, so depending on the sign of A, R could be +A or -A.
$$x_{p3} = \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{k-16\pi^2j^2m}$$ and
$$x_p(t) = \frac{1}{5\times 10^6\pi} + \frac{1}{10\times 10^6 - 6000\pi^2}\sin(2\pi t) + \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{5*10^6-12000\pi^2j^2}$$
but I am unable to verify
$$\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{j = 1}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(4\pi j t)}{5*10^6-12000\pi^2j^2}$$
as a solution so I don't think it is correct.

Likes Dustinsfl

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is base excitation?

Base excitation is a type of external force applied to a system at its base or foundation. It is often used in the study of structures, such as buildings and bridges, to simulate the effects of earthquakes, wind, or other external forces.

3. How is a half sine wave used to cause base excitation?

A half sine wave is a mathematical function that represents a single cycle of a sine wave. This type of wave is commonly used to simulate base excitation because it can accurately represent the periodic nature of many external forces, such as wind or earthquakes.

4. Why is ODE with base excitation caused by a half sine wave important?

ODE with base excitation caused by a half sine wave is important because it allows scientists and engineers to model and analyze the behavior of dynamic systems under external forces. This information can be used to design and improve structures, predict the effects of natural disasters, and develop new technologies.

5. What are some real-world applications of ODE with base excitation caused by a half sine wave?

ODE with base excitation caused by a half sine wave has many practical applications, including earthquake engineering, structural dynamics, and vibration analysis. It is also used in the design of mechanical and electrical systems, such as aircraft, automobiles, and power plants.