Show that R is a division ring

In summary, the author is trying to show that division ring $R$ is a ring with a unity. He first shows that for each $r,s\in R$ with $rs=0$, either $r=0$ or $s=0$. He then shows that $R$ has a left-identity and a right-identity.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be a finite non-trivial ring.
We suppose that for each $r,s\in R$ with $rs=0$ then either $r=0$ or $s=0$.
I want to show that $R$ is a division ring.

Could you give me a hint how we could show that each element $x\in R\setminus \{0\}$ has an inverse? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the mapping, for $a \in R -\{0_R\}$:

$L_a: R -\{0_R\} \to R$, given by $L_a(r) = ar$.

Note that we actually have $\text{im }L_a \subseteq R -\{0_R\}$, since if $ar = 0_R$, by our definition of $R$, we have $r = 0_R$, a contradiction.

So, is $L_a$ injective? Let's investigate:

Suppose $ar = as$, for $r,s \neq 0_R$

Then $ar - as = 0_R$, so that: $a(r - s) = 0_R$. Since $a \neq 0_R$, we have $r - s = 0_R$, that is, $r = s$. So $L_a$ is injective.

Now consider the map $R_a$ which sends $r \mapsto ra$. Use the injectivity of these two maps (and the finiteness of $R$!), to show that $R - \{0_R\}$ is a group (this is a standard exercise of group theory). If you have trouble ,let me know.

(hint #1: the finiteness of $R$ implies both maps are also surjective. That means there is some $r \neq 0_R$ in $R$ such that $ar = a$. Try to find a clever way to show what $rb$ might be, for any non-zero $b$).

Deveno said:
(hint #1: the finiteness of $R$ implies both maps are also surjective. That means there is some $r \neq 0_R$ in $R$ such that $ar = a$. Try to find a clever way to show what $rb$ might be, for any non-zero $b$).

Do we show in that way that the ring contains the identity element? (Wondering)

Yes-we will need that to show $R$ has units, right?

EDIT: you will need to show that $R$ has a TWO-SIDED identity, since we cannot assume $R$ is commutative. You will then need to show each non-zero element of $R$ has a TWO-SIDED inverse. You will need to invoke associativity of multiplication several times.

Deveno said:
(hint #1: the finiteness of $R$ implies both maps are also surjective.

How does the surjectivity follow from the finiteness of $R$ ? (Wondering)

Do you know the Pigeonhole Principle?

Suppose $S$ is a finite set, with $f:S \to S$ injective. If $s \in S$ has no pre-image in $S$ under $f$, then we have $|S|$ domain elements, with at most $|S| - 1$ images to send them to. So some element must have more than one pre-image, contradiction.

Deveno said:
Do you know the Pigeonhole Principle?

Suppose $S$ is a finite set, with $f:S \to S$ injective. If $s \in S$ has no pre-image in $S$ under $f$, then we have $|S|$ domain elements, with at most $|S| - 1$ images to send them to. So some element must have more than one pre-image, contradiction.

So, we consider the mappings $L_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R\setminus\{0\}$ and $R_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R\setminus\{0\}$ and not the mappings $L_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R$ and $R_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R$, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we consider the mappings $L_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R\setminus\{0\}$ and $R_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R\setminus\{0\}$ and not the mappings $L_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R$ and $R_a:R\setminus \{0\}\rightarrow R$, right? (Wondering)

Yes, the surjectivity is something we need.

So, since $L_a$ and $R_a$ are surjective, we have that for each $a\in R\setminus\{0\}$ there is a $r\in R\setminus\{0\}$ such that $L_a(R)=a$ and $R_a(r)=a$, i.e., $ar=a$ and $ra=a$.
Therefore, $R$ has a unity, right? (Wondering)

Your argument is much like the story:

"Once upon a time, they lived happily ever after."

It starts out right, it ends right, but something seems to be missing in the middle.

We have no reason to expect that for EACH $a \in R\setminus\{0\}$ it is "the same $r$".

But we know that for a SPECIFIC $a$, there is some $r$ (let's call it $r_a$ for now, to indicate it might depend on $a$) such that:

$ar_a = a$.

Let us investigate $r_ab$. Here is what we know:

$ab = (ar_a)b = a(r_ab)$.

This means $a(b - r_ab) = 0$.

By our conditions on $R$, since $a \neq 0$, we have $b - r_ab = 0$, so that $b = r_ab$.

This is true for *every* $b \in R\setminus\{0\}$.

So $r_a$ is a left-identity for $R\setminus\{0\}$.

A similar argument (using $R_a$) shows there is some non-zero element of $R$ such that:

$s_aa = a$. Taking any non-zero $b$, we have:

$bs_aa = ba$, and thus $(b_sa - b)a = 0$, and so $bs_a = b$.

So now we have a left-identity ($r_a$) and a right-identity ($s_a$).

Thus:

$r_a = r_as_a$ (since $s_a$ is a right-identity), and:

$r_as_a = s_a$ (since $r_a$ is a left-identity).

So $r_a = s_a$, and this is an identity for all of $R\setminus\{0\}$. Let's call it $u_a$, now.

In the above, $a$ is FIXED, and $b$ is arbitrary. The question remains: if we do this for "some other fixed element" (say $x$) of $R\setminus\{0\}$, do we have $u_x = u_a$? Yes, and this is easy to prove:

$u_a = u_au_x = u_x$.

So, yes, $R\setminus\{0\}$ has a multiplicative identity.

Now, on to inverses...

Deveno said:
So $r_a = s_a$, and this is an identity for all of $R\setminus\{0\}$. Let's call it $u_a$, now.

In the above, $a$ is FIXED, and $b$ is arbitrary. The question remains: if we do this for "some other fixed element" (say $x$) of $R\setminus\{0\}$, do we have $u_x = u_a$? Yes, and this is easy to prove:

$u_a = u_au_x = u_x$.

So, yes, $R\setminus\{0\}$ has a multiplicative identity.

So, $u_a$ (resp. $u_x$) is the identity element for every element but with fixed $a$ (resp. $x$), right? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
Now, on to inverses...

Let $a\in R\setminus\{0\}$.
We have that $L_a$ is surjectiv, so there is a $r\in R\setminus\{0\}$ such that $L_a(r)=u_a \Rightarrow ar=u_a$.
We also have that $R_a$ is surjectiv, so there is a $\tilde{r}\in R\setminus\{0\}$ such that $R_a(\tilde{r})=u_a \Rightarrow \tilde{r}a=u_a$.
So, we have that $ar=u_a=\tilde{r}a$.
It is left to show that $r=\tilde{r}$, right? (Wondering)

We have that $ar=u_a=\tilde{r}a \Rightarrow u_ar=\tilde{r}ar \Rightarrow r=\tilde{r}u_a \Rightarrow r=\tilde{r}$.
Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, $u_a$ (resp. $u_x$) is the identity element for every element but with fixed $a$ (resp. $x$), right? (Wondering)

The last part of my prior post show the identity is independent of $a$, so we can just call it $u$, or $1$.

Let $a\in R\setminus\{0\}$.
We have that $L_a$ is surjectiv, so there is a $r\in R\setminus\{0\}$ such that $L_a(r)=u_a \Rightarrow ar=u_a$.
We also have that $R_a$ is surjectiv, so there is a $\tilde{r}\in R\setminus\{0\}$ such that $R_a(\tilde{r})=u_a \Rightarrow \tilde{r}a=u_a$.
So, we have that $ar=u_a=\tilde{r}a$.
It is left to show that $r=\tilde{r}$, right? (Wondering)

Yes, note that for inverses, $r$ and $\tilde{r}$ *will* depend on $a$.

We have that $ar=u_a=\tilde{r}a \Rightarrow u_ar=\tilde{r}ar \Rightarrow r=\tilde{r}u_a \Rightarrow r=\tilde{r}$.

Yes, the trick is to put "$a$ in the middle":

$r = ur = (\tilde{r}a)r = \tilde{r}(ar) = \tilde{r}u = \tilde{r}$

Note how I wrote it to emphasize where associativity is used.

Deveno said:
The last part of my prior post show the identity is independent of $a$, so we can just call it $u$, or $1$.

Yes, note that for inverses, $r$ and $\tilde{r}$ *will* depend on $a$.
Yes, the trick is to put "$a$ in the middle":

$r = ur = (\tilde{r}a)r = \tilde{r}(ar) = \tilde{r}u = \tilde{r}$

Note how I wrote it to emphasize where associativity is used.

Ah ok...

So, we have that $ar=u=ra$.

Therefore, each non-zero element has an inverse, i.e., $R$ is a division ring, right? (Wondering)

Yep. So what can you say about finite integral domains?

Deveno said:
Yep. So what can you say about finite integral domains?

We can say that each finite integral domain is a field, right? (Wondering)

Exactly!

I want to show also that each integral domain with finitely many ideals is a field.

Could you give me a hint how we could show that? (Wondering)

Here is a hint:

If for every $a \neq 0 \in R$ we have $(a) = R$, then every such $a$ is a unit, and thus $R$ is a commutative division ring-that is, a field.

So, we may assume without loss of generality that there is some non-zero $a$ with $(a) \neq R$.

Consider the ideals:

$(a^k) : k \in \Bbb Z^+$.

There are infinitely many $k$, but only finitely many ideals of $R$, by assumption.

Another approach:

show that for $a \neq 0$ that $I \mapsto aI$ is an injective map on the finite set of all ideals of $R$.

Deveno said:
If for every $a \neq 0 \in R$ we have $(a) = R$, then every such $a$ is a unit, and thus $R$ is a commutative division ring-that is, a field.

Is $(a)$ a principal ideal? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
So, we may assume without loss of generality that there is some non-zero $a$ with $(a) \neq R$.

Consider the ideals:

$(a^k) : k \in \Bbb Z^+$.

There are infinitely many $k$, but only finitely many ideals of $R$, by assumption.

So, it must hold that $(a^i)=(a^j)$, for $i\neq j$, or not? (Wondering)

Then we have the following:
$a^i\in (a^i)=(a^j)\Rightarrow a^i=(a^j)^nb\Rightarrow a^i=a^{nj}b$, for $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and for some $b$.
So, we have that $a^{nj}b-a^i=0 \Rightarrow a^i(a^{nj-i}b-1)=0$.
Since $R$ is an integral domain, there are no zero divisors.
So, it must be $a^{nj-i}b-1=0 \Rightarrow a^{nj-i}b=1$.
Does this mean that $a$ is invertible? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
Another approach:

show that for $a \neq 0$ that $I \mapsto aI$ is an injective map on the finite set of all ideals of $R$.

If $I, J$ are ideals of $R$ with $aI=aJ$, then there are $i\in I$ and $j\in J$ such that $ai=aj \Rightarrow ai-aj=0 \Rightarrow a(i-j)=0$.
So, it must be $i=j\in J$.
Therefore, we have that $I\subseteq J$.
We also have that $j=i\in I$, implies that $J\subseteq I$.
Therefore, $I=J$.

So, $I \mapsto aI$ is an injective map.

Do we have to show that this map is also surjective? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is $(a)$ a principal ideal? (Wondering)

Yes, the principal ideal generated by $a$.

So, it must hold that $(a^i)=(a^j)$, for $i\neq j$, or not? (Wondering)

Then we have the following:
$a^i\in (a^i)=(a^j)\Rightarrow a^i=(a^j)^nb\Rightarrow a^i=a^{nj}b$, for $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and for some $b$.
So, we have that $a^{nj}b-a^i=0 \Rightarrow a^i(a^{nj-i}b-1)=0$.
So, it must be $a^{nj-i}b-1=0 \Rightarrow a^{nj-i}b=1$.
Does this mean that $a$ is invertible? (Wondering)

Yes, with inverse $a^{nj - i - 1}b$.

If $I, J$ are ideals of $R$ with $aI=aJ$, then there are $i\in I$ and $j\in J$ such that $ai=aj \Rightarrow ai-aj=0 \Rightarrow a(i-j)=0$.
So, it must be $i=j\in J$.
Therefore, we have that $I\subseteq J$.
We also have that $j=i\in I$, implies that $J\subseteq I$.
Therefore, $I=J$.

So, $I \mapsto aI$ is an injective map.

Do we have to show that this map is also surjective? (Wondering)

No, because it is an injective map from a finite set to itself.

Deveno said:
Yes, the principal ideal generated by $a$.

So, we take cases if there is an element that generates the ring or not, so if the ring is principal or not, right? (Wondering)
Deveno said:
No, because it is an injective map from a finite set to itself.

So, since it is an injective map from a finite set to itself, we have that the map is also surjective.
So, there is a $i\in I$ such that $ai=1$. Therefore, $a$ has an inverse.

mathmari said:
So, we take cases if there is an element that generates the ring or not, so if the ring is principal or not, right? (Wondering)

If for *every* $a\neq 0 \in R$ we have $(a) = R$ then every non-zero $a$ is a unit, and $R$ is a field. We don't need the ring to be *cyclic* (generated by one element), but if it is, it's a field (there are cyclic rings that aren't fields, but none of them are integral domains).

But, of course, this usually isn't the case-we might have a non-cyclic integral domain (these do occur). We don't care if $R$ is principal or not, we just want to find *some* $a \neq 0$ such that $(a) \neq R$. We then consider the chain:

$(a) \supseteq (a^2) \supseteq (a^3) \supseteq (a^4) \cdots$

This descending chain must stabilize, since we only have finitely many ideals to choose from.

The descending chain condition listed above is called the Artinian property. So, as a bonus, you will have proven: any Artinian integral domain is a field.

So, since it is an injective map from a finite set to itself, we have that the map is also surjective.
So, there is a $i\in I$ such that $ai=1$. Therefore, $a$ has an inverse.

Since $R$ is an ideal of $R$, it follows that there is some ideal $I$ such that $aI = R$. And then what you wrote follows, since $1 \in R$.

Deveno said:
Since $R$ is an ideal of $R$, it follows that there is some ideal $I$ such that $aI = R$. And then what you wrote follows, since $1 \in R$.

We have that $R$ is an integral domain. Why is $R$ is an ideal of $R$ ? (Wondering)

Is it because an integral domain is commutative, and then for all $a,r\in R$ we have that $ar\in R$ and $ra\in R$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that $R$ is an integral domain. Why is $R$ is an ideal of $R$ ? (Wondering)

Is it because an integral domain is commutative, and then for all $a,r\in R$ we have that $ar\in R$ and $ra\in R$ ? (Wondering)

For ANY ring $R$, we have $R$ is an ideal of $R$ (it is the kernel of the 0-morphism that sends everything to 0).

1. What is a division ring?

A division ring, also known as a skew field, is a type of ring in abstract algebra that satisfies all the axioms of a ring, with the additional property that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse.

2. How do you prove that R is a division ring?

To prove that R is a division ring, we must show that it satisfies the properties of a ring (associativity, commutativity, distributivity) and that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse.

3. What are the conditions for R to be a division ring?

R must satisfy the axioms of a ring and have the property that every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. Additionally, the multiplicative identity must not equal the additive identity, and the ring must not have any zero divisors.

4. Why is it important to show that R is a division ring?

Showing that R is a division ring is important because it allows us to perform division operations in the ring, which is not always possible in other types of rings. This makes division rings useful in many areas of mathematics and physics.

5. Can a division ring be a commutative ring?

No, a division ring cannot be a commutative ring. This is because the commutative property states that for any two elements a and b, a * b = b * a. However, in a division ring, this property does not hold for all elements, as there may be elements without a multiplicative inverse.