Show that they are isomorphic

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, we have shown that $\text{Hom}_R(R^n,M)\cong \prod_{i=1}^n \text{Hom}_R(R,M)$ for commutative ring $R$ and $R$-module $M$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $R$ be a commutative ring and $M$ be a $R$-module.
I want to show that $\text{Hom}_R(R,M)\cong M$.

I have done the following:

We consider the mapping $\phi : \text{Hom}_R(R,M)\rightarrow M$ with $f\mapsto f(1_R)$.

Let $f,g\in \text{Hom}_R(R,M)$.
We have that
$$\Phi (f+g)=(g+g)(1_R)=f(1_R)+g(1_R)=\Phi (f)+\Phi (g) \\ \Phi (af)=(af)(1_R)=af(1_R)=a\phi (f)$$
So, $\Phi$ is an homomorphism.

Let $\Phi (f)=\Phi (g)$. Then $f(1_R)=g(1_R)$.
So, $f(r)=rf(1_R)=rg(1_R)=g(r), \forall r\in R$.
Therefore, $\phi$ is 1-1.

For each $y\in M$ we define $f$ as follows:
$f: R\rightarrow M$ with $f(r)=ry$
So, for each $y\in M$ we have that $\Phi (f)=f(1_R)=y$.
Therefgore, $\Phi$ is onto.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all correct! (Nod)

Great! (Smile)

I have also an other question... Does it stand that $$\text{Hom}_R(R^n,M)\cong \prod_{I=0}^n \text{Hom}_R(R,M)$$ ? (Wondering)

Almost. You need to change $I = 0$ to $I = 1$.

I will use the symbol $\operatorname{Hom}_R(R,M)^n$ to represent $\prod_{i = 1}^n \operatorname{Hom}_R(R,M)$. For $1 \le j \le n$, let $e_j\in R^n$ be the element with $1$ in the $j$th coordinate and zeros elsewhere; let $i_j : R \to R^n$ be the $j$th inclusion mapping $r \mapsto re_j$. Since the inclusion mappings are $R$-linear, there is an $R$-linear mapping

$$\Phi : \operatorname{Hom}_R(R^n,M) \to \operatorname{Hom}_R(R,M)^n$$

given by $\Phi(f) = (f\circ i_1,\ldots, f\circ i_n)$. I claim that the mapping

$$\Psi : \operatorname{Hom}_R(R,M)^n \to \operatorname{Hom}_R(R^n,M)$$

defined by the equation $\Psi(g_1,\ldots, g_n) = g_1\circ \pi_1 + \cdots +g_n\circ \pi_n$ is the inverse of $\Psi$. Here, $\pi_i : R^n \to R$ ($1 \le i \le n$) is the projection mapping $\pi_i(r_1,\ldots, r_n) = r_i$. It's important to note that $\pi_i \circ i_j$ is zero for $i \neq j$ and $\operatorname{id}_R$ for $i = j$. Indeed, for all $r\in R$, $(\pi_i \circ i_j)(r) = \pi_i(re_j) = r\delta_{ij}$, which is equal to $0$ if $i \neq j$ and $r$ when $i = j$. Now

$$\Phi(\Psi(g_1,\ldots, g_n)) = \Phi(g_1 + \cdots + g_n) = \left(\sum_{k = 1}^n g_k \circ i_1 \circ \pi_k, \ldots, \sum_{k = 1}^n g_k \circ i_n \circ \pi_k\right) = \left(\sum_{k = 1}^n g_k\delta_{1k},\ldots, \sum_{k = 1}^n g_n \delta_{nk}\right) = (g_1,\ldots, g_n)$$

and

$$\Psi(\Phi(f)) = \Psi(f\circ i_1,\ldots, f\circ i_n) = f\circ i_1\circ \pi_1 + \cdots + f\circ i_n \circ \pi_n = f\circ (i_1 \circ \pi_1 + \cdots + i_n \circ \pi_n) = f$$

where the last identity follows from the fact that $i_1 \circ \pi_1 + \cdots + i_n \circ \pi_n$ is the identity on $R$:

$$(i_1 \circ \pi_1 + \cdots + i_n \circ \pi_n)(r_1,\ldots r_n) = i_1(r_1) + \cdots + i_n(r_n) = r_1 e_1 + \cdots + r_n e_n = (r_1,\ldots, r_n)$$

Therefore $\Psi$ is the inverse of $\Phi$ and $\Phi$ is a bijection. Since $\Phi$ is also $R$-linear, it is an $R$-module isomorphism.

1. What does it mean for two structures to be isomorphic?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to the structural similarity between two objects or systems. In the context of algebraic structures, two structures are said to be isomorphic if they have the same underlying set and the same operations, and the only difference between them is the way the elements are labeled.

2. How do you prove that two structures are isomorphic?

To prove that two structures are isomorphic, you need to show that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two structures that preserves the operations. This can be done by explicitly defining a bijection (a function that is both injective and surjective) between the two structures and showing that it respects the operations of the structures.

3. What is the significance of isomorphism in mathematics?

Isomorphism is a powerful tool in mathematics as it allows us to study and understand complex structures by comparing them to simpler, more familiar structures. It also helps us identify patterns and connections between seemingly unrelated objects, leading to new insights and discoveries.

4. Can two structures be isomorphic but not identical?

Yes, two structures can be isomorphic but not identical. This means that they have the same underlying structure but may differ in their specific elements or labels. For example, two groups can be isomorphic even if they have different elements, as long as their operations and structure are the same.

5. Are all isomorphic structures equivalent?

No, not all isomorphic structures are equivalent. While isomorphic structures share the same underlying structure and operations, they may have different properties and characteristics. For example, two isomorphic groups can have different orders or subgroups, making them non-equivalent in certain contexts.