1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show the group action on (x, y) and, desribe the orbits.

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1 a) Prove that the group (nZ, +) acts on Z by a*g = a + g for all g in nZ and for all a in Z.
    b)What are the orbits?
    c)How many orbits are there? Do the set of orbits remind you of anything in number theory?

2. Relevant equations
    not sure

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) For e in (nZ, +), e = 0. so a*e = a+e = a+0 = a. So the identity of (nZ, +) is also the identity on Z.
    For g, h in nZ, and for a in Z, a*(g+h) = a+(g+h) = (a+g)+h = (a*g)*h.

b, c) I know what the definition of what an orbit is (here for some a in Z, O_a = {a*g = a+g | g in nZ}) I'm not sure what the question is actually asking.

For c, would the amount of orbits be equal to the amount of elements in nZ, or 2n+1?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you are quite getting what the action is. Read the definition again. Two elements a and b are in the same orbit if a=b+k*n for some k in Z. Isn't that what it's saying? That really should ring a bell.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook