Does the Integral Diverge as a Tends to Infinity?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem asks to show that the integral from a+1 to infinity of 1/(1/a-1/x)dx diverges, without using the fact that the primitive of 1/x is ln x. To do so, we can use the comparison test by showing that the integral of a over the same interval is less than the original integral, which we can then show diverges. This method does not require the use of the antiderivative ln x.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Here's the problem:

Consider a > 0. Show that the integral

[tex]\int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1/a-1/x}dx [/tex]

diverges. Do so without using the fact that the primitive of 1/x is ln x. :eek:

I have no clue what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{x}}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Evaluate the integral as
[tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a+1}^{b}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{x}}\ {dx}[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a+1}^{b}a-\frac{a^2}{a-x}\ dx[/tex]
... you can do the intermediary steps here... you'll work out that you get something like the following:
[tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}ab-a^2\log{a-b}-a^2-a+\log{1}[/tex]

as you know, [itex]ab[/itex] goes to infinity as b goes to infinity. ln(a-b) also becomes undefined as you subtract infinity from any number, since log is only defined for positive numbers.

Answering my query is a whole lot easier, and, unlike scholzie's method, does not require you to break the rules of the question!

Do so without using the fact that the primitive of 1/x is ln x.

quasar987 said:
Here's the problem:

Consider a > 0. Show that the integral

[tex]\int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1/a-1/x}dx [/tex]

diverges. Do so without using the fact that the primitive of 1/x is ln x. :eek:

I have no clue what to do!
Note that since {a > 0}:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ a \ \ = \ \ \frac {1} {1/a} \ \ < \ \ \frac{1} {1/a-1/x} \ \ \ \ \color{blue} \mathbb \forall \ \ x \ \ge \ (a + 1) [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ \ \ \Longrightarrow \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} a \ dx \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ \ \ \Longrightarrow \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ \left [ ax \right ]_{a + 1}^{\infty} \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

[tex] :(4): \ \ \ \ \color{red} \Longrightarrow \ \ (\infty) \ < \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

Thus, subject integral diverges.

~~

Last edited:
Data said:
Answering my query is a whole lot easier, and, unlike scholzie's method, does not require you to break the rules of the question!
Didnt see the bit about not using the antiderivative ln(x)... I was only trying to help...

scholzie said:
Didnt see the bit about not using the antiderivative ln(x)... I was only trying to help...
No problem ... several techniques are now available for comparison.

~~

Last edited:
Yep, nothing wrong with posting alternate methods of solution, I was just trying to avoid getting him confused.

Ok, thanks everyone!

FAQ: Does the Integral Diverge as a Tends to Infinity?

1. What is an integral and how does it relate to divergence?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. When we say an integral diverges, it means that the area under the curve is infinite, indicating that the function is not bounded and its values keep increasing without limit.

2. How do you determine if an integral diverges?

To determine if an integral diverges, we can use different methods such as the comparison test, the limit comparison test, or the integral test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the function and its integrals to determine if they approach infinity as the limits of integration approach infinity.

3. What are some common types of functions that result in a divergent integral?

Some common types of functions that result in a divergent integral are power functions (e.g. x^n where n ≤ -1), logarithmic functions (e.g. ln(x)), and exponential functions (e.g. e^x). These functions have an unbounded behavior, leading to a divergent integral.

4. Can an integral diverge to negative infinity?

Yes, an integral can also diverge to negative infinity. This happens when the values of the function decrease without limit as the limits of integration approach infinity. In this case, the integral represents the area under the curve in the negative direction.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding divergent integrals?

Understanding divergent integrals is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and statistics. For example, in physics, divergent integrals can indicate the unbounded energy of a system, while in economics, it can represent an unsustainable growth rate. In statistics, divergent integrals are used to analyze the probability of extreme events.

Back