Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Show the integral diverges

1. Mar 19, 2005 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's the problem:

Consider a > 0. Show that the integral

[tex]\int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1/a-1/x}dx [/tex]

diverges. Do so without using the fact that the primitive of 1/x is ln x. :eek:

I have no clue what to do!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2
    What's [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{x}}[/tex]?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  4. Mar 19, 2005 #3
    Evaluate the integral as
    [tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a+1}^{b}\frac{1}{\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{x}}\ {dx}[/tex]
    [tex]=\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}\int_{a+1}^{b}a-\frac{a^2}{a-x}\ dx[/tex]
    ... you can do the intermediary steps here... you'll work out that you get something like the following:
    [tex]\lim_{b\rightarrow \infty}ab-a^2\log{a-b}-a^2-a+\log{1}[/tex]

as you know, [itex]ab[/itex] goes to infinity as b goes to infinity. ln(a-b) also becomes undefined as you subtract infinity from any number, since log is only defined for positive numbers.

5. Mar 19, 2005 #4
    Answering my query is a whole lot easier, and, unlike scholzie's method, does not require you to break the rules of the question!

6. Mar 20, 2005 #5

xanthym

Science Advisor

Note that since {a > 0}:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ a \ \ = \ \ \frac {1} {1/a} \ \ < \ \ \frac{1} {1/a-1/x} \ \ \ \ \color{blue} \mathbb \forall \ \ x \ \ge \ (a + 1) [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ \ \ \Longrightarrow \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} a \ dx \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

[tex] :(3): \ \ \ \ \ \ \Longrightarrow \ \ \ \ 0 \ \ < \ \ \left [ ax \right ]_{a + 1}^{\infty} \ \ < \ \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

[tex] :(4): \ \ \ \ \color{red} \Longrightarrow \ \ (\infty) \ < \ \int_{a+1}^{\infty} \frac {1} {1/a-1/x} \ dx [/tex]

Thus, subject integral diverges.

~~

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  7. Mar 20, 2005 #6
    Didnt see the bit about not using the antiderivative ln(x)... I was only trying to help...

8. Mar 20, 2005 #7

xanthym

Science Advisor

No problem ... several techniques are now available for comparison.

~~

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  9. Mar 20, 2005 #8
    Yep, nothing wrong with posting alternate methods of solution, I was just trying to avoid getting him confused.

10. Mar 20, 2005 #9

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ok, thanks everyone!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook