Show the limit exists or does not exist

• Thread starter vantz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit in question does not exist but can be related to [xy]/(x^2+y^2) as (x,y)-->(0,0). After factoring the numerator and replacing (x-1) with t, it can be shown that the limit approaches both 0 and 1/2, thus it does not exist.
vantz

Homework Statement

c2f1f923-74de-46af-bb68-3ccd4efeb33a.jpe

The Attempt at a Solution

it does not exist, but i can't get different limits, I am only getting it approaches 0

i replaced x=1 only, y=0 only, y=x, x=y but I'm only getting 0 as my limit.

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is a trick. notice it is equivalent to finding the limit of [xy]/(x^2+y^2) as (x,y)-->(0,0).

this one is very familiar, and is done by letting x=y.

im still approaching 0 when x=y

vantz said:
im still approaching 0 when x=y

You shouldn't be. Replacing y with x:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{x*x}{x^2+x^2} = ...[/tex]

oh so first i rewrite the limit into a more familiar one and then solve. but i don't see how they are related.

edit:nvm i got it.

Last edited:
vantz said:

Homework Statement

c2f1f923-74de-46af-bb68-3ccd4efeb33a.jpe

The Attempt at a Solution

it does not exist, but i can't get different limits, I am only getting it approaches 0

i replaced x=1 only, y=0 only, y=x, x=y but I'm only getting 0 as my limit.

thanks
Yes, if you let x=1, and take the limit of the result as y→0, the limit is zero.

Similarly, letting y=0 and taking the limit of the result as x→1, also gives zero.

Use these results along with the limit obtained as others have suggested. What's your final conclusion?

SammyS said:
Yes, if you let x=1, and take the limit of the result as y→0, the limit is zero.

Similarly, letting y=0 and taking the limit of the result as x→1, also gives zero.

Use these results along with the limit obtained as others have suggested. What's your final conclusion?

i showed the relation between the original limit and [xy]/(x^2+y^2) as (x,y)-->(0,0).
numerator factorizes to y(x-1), then i replaced (x-1) with t, and as x→1, t→0. new limit does not exist because it approaches 1/2 and 0.

Correct !

1. What does it mean for a limit to exist or not exist?

A limit exists if the values of a function approach a certain value as the input values get closer and closer to a specific number. A limit does not exist if the values of the function do not approach a specific value or if they approach different values from different directions.

2. How can I determine if a limit exists or not?

To determine if a limit exists, you can evaluate the function at the specific value and look at the values of the function as the input values get closer and closer to the specific value. If the values are approaching a specific number, then the limit exists. If the values do not approach a specific number, then the limit does not exist.

3. What are the different types of limits?

There are three types of limits: one-sided limits, two-sided limits, and infinite limits. One-sided limits look at the behavior of the function as the input values approach a specific number from one side. Two-sided limits look at the behavior of the function as the input values approach a specific number from both sides. Infinite limits look at the behavior of the function as the input values approach positive or negative infinity.

4. Can a limit exist at a point where the function is undefined?

Yes, a limit can exist at a point where the function is undefined. This is because the limit is not concerned with the value of the function at that specific point, but rather the behavior of the function as the input values get closer and closer to that point.

5. What are some common methods for proving the existence or non-existence of a limit?

Some common methods for proving the existence or non-existence of a limit include using the definition of a limit, the Squeeze theorem, and using algebraic manipulation or trigonometric identities to simplify the function. You can also use a graph or a table of values to visually see the behavior of the function as the input values get closer and closer to a specific number.