1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show (x^3+2x)/(2x+1) < x^2 as x -> infinite

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    Show (x^3+2x)/(2x+1) < x^2 as x --> infinite

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show (x^3+2x)/(2x+1) < x^2 as x --> infinite

2. Relevant equations
    This is not a formal proof. I just need to reduce the left side of the inequality to the point it is fairly obvious that it is less than x^2 as x-->infinite.

3. The attempt at a solution

so far I turned it into
    (x^3-1)/(2x+1) + 1 but it is still not broken down enough to be obvious. I'm not sure what to do next.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Re: Show (x^3+2x)/(2x+1) < x^2 as x --> infinite

I'm not sure how "obvious" you want it to be, but this should do if it isn't going to be a formal proof -

The polynomial of x with degree 3 in the numerator dominates the linear polynomial in the denominator, so from here it can be seen that as [tex]x\rightarrow\infty[/tex], the value of the fraction [tex]\rightarrow\infty[/tex] and since the highest degree of x is negative, the value will approach [tex]-\infty[/tex] which is < 0
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

Re: Show (x^3+2x)/(2x+1) < x^2 as x --> infinite

Since [tex] x \to \infty [/tex] you can assume that [tex] x > 1 [/tex] so that [tex] 2x < x^3 [/tex]

then, for such [tex] x [/tex]
    \frac{x^3 + 2x}{2x+1} < \frac{x^3 + x^3}{2x} = \frac{2x^3}{2x} = x^2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?