Showing an integral doesn't converge

• Thread starter scigal89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: So choose a value for C that makes one of the integrals diverge. In summary, the function e^{2ikx} is not square integrable because its integral from -oo to oo diverges, meaning it is not continuous. To show this, we can choose a value for C that makes one of the integrals diverge, since if either integral diverges, the whole thing does.
scigal89

Homework Statement

Show that the following function is not square integrable, i.e. that it is not continuous.

[tex]

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left ( e^{ikx} \right )^{2}dx

[/tex]

Homework Equations

See above. Also:

[tex]

\int \left ( e^{ikx} \right )^{2}dx = -\frac{ie^{2ikx}}{2k}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

=\lim_{A \rightarrow -\infty}\int_{A}^{C} e^{2ikx}dx+\lim_{B \rightarrow \infty}\int_{C}^{B} e^{2ikx}dx

[/tex]

How do I go from there? What would I choose for C? Can it be anything?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scigal89 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the following function is not square integrable, i.e. that it is not continuous.

Not being square integrable is not the same as not being continuous. f(x) = 1 is not square integrable on (-oo, oo) but is obviously continuous.

[tex]

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left ( e^{ikx} \right )^{2}dx

[/tex]

Homework Equations

See above. Also:

[tex]

\int \left ( e^{ikx} \right )^{2}dx = -\frac{ie^{2ikx}}{2k}

[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]

=\lim_{A \rightarrow -\infty}\int_{A}^{C} e^{2ikx}dx+\lim_{B \rightarrow \infty}\int_{C}^{B} e^{2ikx}dx

[/tex]

How do I go from there? What would I choose for C? Can it be anything?

Yes, you can use anything for C. And if either integral diverges the whole thing does.

1. What does it mean for an integral to converge?

Convergence of an integral means that as the limits of integration become larger, the value of the integral approaches a finite number. In other words, the area under the curve becomes finite.

2. How do you show that an integral does not converge?

To show that an integral does not converge, you can use a variety of methods such as the Comparison Test, the Limit Comparison Test, or the Divergence Test. These tests involve comparing the given integral to another known integral and determining if the given integral behaves in a similar manner.

3. Can an integral converge at some points and diverge at others?

Yes, it is possible for an integral to converge at some points and diverge at others. This is known as a conditionally convergent integral and occurs when the terms of the integral alternate between positive and negative values, causing the overall value to approach a finite number but not converge completely.

4. Is it possible for an integral to converge to infinity?

No, an integral cannot converge to infinity. Convergence means that the value approaches a finite number, while infinity is not a finite number. If an integral's value approaches infinity, it is said to diverge.

5. Can you use the Integral Test to determine convergence?

Yes, the Integral Test can be used to determine convergence. This test compares the given integral to the corresponding infinite series and uses the fact that the integral and series have similar behavior. If the series converges, then the integral also converges, and if the series diverges, then the integral also diverges.