Showing every free module is Projective

• Thread starter Phillips101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    module
In summary, a module P is projective if for all module homomorphisms f:M->N and g:P->N, if f is surjective, then there exists a homomorphism h:P->M such that fh=g for all x. Conversely, if P is a projective module over a Principal Ideal Domain, then P is free. The difference between the definitions of projective modules is the order of quantifiers. P is easy to describe as a set of all homomorphisms when P is free.
Phillips101
Take P a free module over an arbitrary ring. Show P is projective.

Definition of Projective:
If f: M-->N and g: P-->N are module homomorphisms with f surjective, then if P is projective there exists homomorphism h such that h: P-->M with f(h(x))=g(x) for all x.

Obviously f has a right inverse, and so it is easy to find an h that works, but not a homomorphism h that works. I really have no idea about this and help would be appreciated.

Second bit:

Conversely, show that if P is a projective module over a Principal Ideal Domain, then P is free.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the definition of projective wrong:
P is projective iff:
For all homomorphisms f:M->N and g:P->N:
If f is surjective, then:
There exists a homomorphism h:P->M with fh = g​

Anyways, isn't the set of all homomorphisms P->M easy to describe, when P is free?

I can't see a difference between our definitions, but yours is certainly clearer.

I don't know what that would be. I'd hazard a guess at matrices, but surely that relies on M being free as well?

I hate to just blurt out the answer to my question -- it's probably the most important property of free modules and I want to give you a chance to recall it, but anyways...

If F is the free module on a set X of generators, then any function X-->M uniquely extends to module homomorphism F-->M. Conversely, any module homomorphism F-->M is completely determined by its values on X

The difference between the definitions we gave is the order of quantifiers. e.g. by your definition, Z/2 would be a projective module over Z, as follows:

Let M = Z/2 and N = Z/2.
Let f:M->N and g:P->N be the identity homomorphisms.
Note that f is surjective.
Your definition says that I can now prove P projective, by letting h:P->M be the identity, because fh=g.

However, the correct definition is univerally quantified over M,N,f, and g. I don't have to be able to find an h for just one particular choice of M,N,f,g -- I have to be able to find an h for every choice of M,N,f,g.

About the spoiler; I didn't cover that in my course, I just checked my notes. But, it is fairly 'obvious' when you consider vector spaces, so I suppose I was just supposed to deduce it.

And I see the difference now.

Thanks for the help, I'll have another go at the problem.

1. What does it mean for a module to be projective?

A projective module is a module that has the property that any short exact sequence involving it can be split. This means that the module has a direct summand in any free module containing it.

2. Why is it important to show that every free module is projective?

This is important because it allows us to better understand the structure of modules and their relationships. It also allows us to simplify calculations and proofs involving modules.

3. How can one show that a free module is projective?

There are a few different ways to show that a free module is projective. One way is to use the fact that a free module is isomorphic to a direct sum of copies of the ring, which makes it easy to see that any short exact sequence involving a free module can be split. Another way is to use the definition of projective modules and show that the module satisfies the necessary conditions.

4. What are some applications of the fact that every free module is projective?

The fact that every free module is projective has many applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, and commutative algebra. It also has applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics.

5. Can a non-free module be projective?

Yes, there are non-free modules that can be projective. For example, any direct summand of a free module is also projective. However, not all non-free modules are projective, as there are certain conditions that a module must satisfy in order to be projective.