Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing every free module is Projective

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    Take P a free module over an arbitrary ring. Show P is projective.

Definition of Projective:
    If f: M-->N and g: P-->N are module homomorphisms with f surjective, then if P is projective there exists homomorphism h such that h: P-->M with f(h(x))=g(x) for all x.

Obviously f has a right inverse, and so it is easy to find an h that works, but not a homomorphism h that works. I really have no idea about this and help would be appreciated.

Second bit:

Conversely, show that if P is a projective module over a Principal Ideal Domain, then P is free.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have the definition of projective wrong:
    P is projective iff:
    For all homomorphisms f:M->N and g:P->N:
    If f is surjective, then:
    There exists a homomorphism h:P->M with fh = g​

Anyways, isn't the set of all homomorphisms P->M easy to describe, when P is free?

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    I can't see a difference between our definitions, but yours is certainly clearer.

I don't know what that would be. I'd hazard a guess at matrices, but surely that relies on M being free as well?

5. May 26, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate to just blurt out the answer to my question -- it's probably the most important property of free modules and I want to give you a chance to recall it, but anyways....

If F is the free module on a set X of generators, then any function X-->M uniquely extends to module homomorphism F-->M. Conversely, any module homomorphism F-->M is completely determined by its values on X

The difference between the definitions we gave is the order of quantifiers. e.g. by your definition, Z/2 would be a projective module over Z, as follows:

Let M = Z/2 and N = Z/2.
    Let f:M->N and g:P->N be the identity homomorphisms.
    Note that f is surjective.
    Your definition says that I can now prove P projective, by letting h:P->M be the identity, because fh=g.

However, the correct definition is univerally quantified over M,N,f, and g. I don't have to be able to find an h for just one particular choice of M,N,f,g -- I have to be able to find an h for every choice of M,N,f,g.

6. May 26, 2010 #5
    About the spoiler; I didn't cover that in my course, I just checked my notes. But, it is fairly 'obvious' when you consider vector spaces, so I suppose I was just supposed to deduce it.

And I see the difference now.

Thanks for the help, I'll have another go at the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook