How to Switch Off an Overactive Brain

In summary: Mine too! :rofl:It brings the strangest stories/worries.For me, it's about getting my brain to rev-up, not shut down that is the...challenge.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I guess all you guys have over active brains, but how do you switch them it off?

Physics news on Phys.org
read one of your posts

*rimshot*

Use hammer!

Sex.

DaveC426913 said:
Sex.

Yep, that works. Well, maybe not, but it does stop me from talking. My boyfriend seems to think this is a good thing, especially if we're arguing over something he knows he has no hope of winning. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
especially if we're arguing over something he knows he has no hope of winning. :uhh:

redundant

yep, brain's definitely stopped on someone.

Just keeping the thread from going into the gutter.

tribdog said:
redundant

Funny...that's what I keep telling him. :biggrin:

I have never found a way to turn it off. It seems to get worse the sleepier I get.

Evo said:
Just keeping the thread from going into the gutter.

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Redbelly98 said:
Good luck with that :rolleyes:
I fine bird like you would never worry me. Just look at that face!

Evo said:
I fine bird like you would never worry me. Just look at that face!

Yep, the birds aren't the problem, it's the bees you have to watch out for! :biggrin:

(Sorry, my brain doesn't shut up either, and it's learned to type. :uhh:)

Moonbear said:
(Sorry, my brain doesn't shut up either, and it's learned to type. :uhh:)
:rofl:

speaking seriously for a moment, does anyone besides me actually have trouble getting to sleep (because of not being able to turn off ones brain).

granpa said:
speaking seriously for a moment, does anyone besides me actually have trouble getting to sleep (because of not being able to turn off ones brain).

I used to. the only way I could deal with it was to listen to some comedy cassettes.

granpa said:

Yes
:cry:

wolram said:
I guess all you guys have over active brains, but how do you switch them it off?

Sleep

Watching a Rachel Ray cooking show.

granpa said:

Yup...it gets bad at some point if you don't stop...

it used to be 10 times worse than it is now but I took one sleeping pill one night, slept soundly that night and afterwards for some reason it got better. 90% better at least. I'm just beginning to realize though that its actually still quite bad (I thought I had apnea).

granpa said:
I suffer from severe, cronic, lack of sleep and have to take medication to sleep since it became rather serious.

Your brain isn't talking. Its all in your head...

Evo said:
I suffer from severe, cronic, lack of sleep and have to take medication to sleep since it became rather serious.

what sort of medication?

I'm taking trazadone. I would take ambien if I could afford it.

granpa said:

When I can't sleep, I get up and surf the web or read for an hour, then I find I'm able to sleep.

By the way, seeing your post reminds me of a little joke:
"When I die, I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling, like the passengers in his car."

Likes gracy
Sometimes when I am trying to get to sleep my brain acts like a radio I can't turn off. It would be more tolerable if it didn't play so much Britney Spears.

Redbelly98 said:
When I can't sleep, I get up and surf the web or read for an hour, then I find I'm able to sleep.

I simply get into depression that I wouldn't be able to make up 7-8 hours of sleep. And then I start worrying about it and spend another 2 hours thinking how I can turn off my brain.
That's why I said "use a hammer" in the beginning.

Whenever I think of shutting down my brain I get into more trouble,

Well, if you going to go the medication route, then what I suggest is cheap, over the counter, and multi-symptom:

NY-QUIL...cause it knocks me on my gluteus maximus whenever I catch a cold.

cant take it every night. the side effects would be terrible. same is true for most ever the counter sleep medicines.

Gear300 said:
Sleep

My brain whispers strange stories to me in my sleep. :frown:

TheStatutoryApe said:
My brain whispers strange stories to me in my sleep. :frown:

Mine too! :rofl:
It brings the strangest stories/worries.

For me, it's about getting my brain to rev-up, not shut down that is the problem.

Audiobooks are probably the greatest sleep aid ever invented. Turn off the lights, turn off the TV, turn on a book, close your eyes and listen to the book and drift off to sleep. I've got a few hundred audiobooks and I listen to one every night.

someone said there brain was like a radio they can't turn off. in my experience it isn't so much a matter of turning it off as learning to tune it out. basically, ignore it. but that's easier said than done.

Your brain IS you. How can you tune out or ignore your brain? tune it out from what? Who's doing the ignoring? What part of you does the ignoring?