Si -> Silicidation, Ge -> Germanidation, III-V (i.e. GaAs) -> ?

  • Thread starter laddy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the process of silicidation for Si MOS devices would be called germanidation for III-V compounds like GaAs, with the metal forming compounds like PtGe or AuGe.
  • #1
Si -> Silicidation, Ge -> Germanidation, III-V (i.e. GaAs) -> ?


i'm new in this forums and not sure whether to post this under electrical engineering or chemical engineering, since it's a material based question regarding an electron device.

Here goes:

For Si MOS devices utilising a schottky source/drain, the metal, i.e. Pt, is e-beam evaporated on the Si surface and later silicided to form a schottky contact of PtSi/Si. If i were to replace the Si with a III-V compound, for example GaAs, what would be the "silicidation" process be called, and what compound will the metal form with the III-V compound?

Engineering news on
  • #2
The process would be called "Germanidation" and the metal would form a compound such as PtGe or AuGe.
  • #3

Hi there, welcome to the forum! That's a great question. The process for forming a metal-semiconductor contact on a III-V compound (such as GaAs) is called "germanidation." The resulting compound formed between the metal and III-V compound would be called a "germanide." This process is similar to silicidation, but with germanium instead of silicon. Hope that helps!

Related to Si -> Silicidation, Ge -> Germanidation, III-V (i.e. GaAs) -> ?

1. What is silicidation and why is it important?

Silicidation is a process in which a thin layer of metal is deposited on a silicon substrate to form a silicide compound. This is important because it improves the conductivity and stability of the silicon, making it more suitable for use in electronic devices.

2. How does germanidation differ from silicidation?

Germanidation is a similar process to silicidation, but instead of using silicon as the substrate, it uses germanium. This is often done to improve the properties of the germanium, such as its thermal stability and conductivity.

3. Can silicidation or germanidation be used on other materials besides silicon and germanium?

Yes, silicidation and germanidation can also be used on other materials such as III-V compounds, which include materials like gallium arsenide (GaAs). These processes are commonly used in the production of semiconductor devices.

4. What are the benefits of using III-V materials over silicon or germanium?

III-V materials have a wider bandgap, meaning they can handle higher voltages and temperatures without breaking down. They also have higher electron mobility, making them faster and more efficient for use in high-speed electronic devices.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to using III-V materials?

One of the main challenges of using III-V materials is their higher cost compared to silicon. They also require different processing techniques and equipment, which can be more complex and expensive. Additionally, the integration of III-V materials with existing silicon-based technology can be difficult, requiring careful design and optimization.

Similar threads

  • Advanced Physics Homework Help