Is the IPSP at University of Leipzig Right for a Future in Theoretical HEP?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
Physics news on Phys.org
Shrey Aryan said:
Hi, thanks for replying. So you're already in college, right?
Yeah. Right now, I'm doin' my B.Sc. in Physics, Mathematics & Computer Science at St. Joseph's College, Bangalore.

Sanjay Yadav said:
Yeah. Right now, I'm doin' my B.Sc. in Physics, Mathematics & Computer Science at St. Joseph's College, Bangalore.
Oh, alright... I'll be most probably joining in the winter from semester 1. What made you change your mind? I mean you could have stayed here as well.

The thing is I am looking for colleges in India as well and in particular, in Banglore because it is close to a couple of Physics institutes such as ICTS etc.

Maybe you could share some insights into how is college teaching in Banglore. Thanks.

Shrey Aryan said:
Oh, alright... I'll be most probably joining in the winter from semester 1. What made you change your mind? I mean you could have stayed here as well.
Not really, dude. Indian physics courses are not so rigorous compared to its German counterparts. I mean, you could try joining some elite science institutes in Bangalore such as the IISc (or the ICTS), but, yet, end up thinking otherwise.

Sanjay Yadav said:
Not really, dude. Indian physics courses are not so rigorous compared to its German counterparts. I mean, you could try joining some elite science institutes in Bangalore such as the IISc (or the ICTS), but, yet, end up thinking otherwise.
Yeah, even I was concerned about the rigor. This course is actually teaching quite advanced Math and Physics and has a thesis at the end. I think it is splendid.

Shrey Aryan said:
Yeah, even I was concerned about the rigor. This course is actually teaching quite advanced Math and Physics and has a thesis at the end. I think it is splendid.
Well, I think it's more than just splendid. I mean, I've heard people say that IPSP's math is really rigorous and strenuous. And, trust me, those two adjectives are really tempting to a budding physicist like me.

Sanjay Yadav said:
Well, I think it's more than just splendid. I mean, I've heard people say that IPSP's math is really rigorous and strenuous. And, trust me, those two adjectives are really tempting to a budding physicist like me.
Same here...It was nice talking to you. Would you mind sharing your e-mail address so that we can stay in touch? Mine is shrey183[at]gmail[dot]com.

Hi, I'm applying for winter semester 2017/18. I am already in my 3rd year of physics under-graduation in Brazil (5 semester) at a federal university, so i wonder what are the grades necessary at leipzig university for the courses (to pass a semester)... I want to know if they are similar to Brazil cause if they are I can apply for a more forward semester, but if not I'll have to star over (which is fine because we have more years here so I still would have 2 and a half years to go - 5 semesters)

Hi, I'm also planning on applying for winter semester 2017/2018. I was wondering if there are any other high school grads planning on applying, just to get to know some potential course mates.

Likes Ahmed Sameh
Hi Stephany and Chris, I will be applying for 17/18 start. Not a high school grad though- already have another bachelors degree and some work and adventure experience in life hehe

Planning to start the path to do a Ph.D now. I am pretty certain I'll be coming if I sort my financial situation until then. If anyone wants, you can email me at alex dot vysnia <a> g m ail dot com, we could do some prep together and ace the first year. Thinking about revising maths and probably studying ahead as much as possible and of course having some fun learning physics before I start

Likes Stephany Vasiljevic
Alex_Zendo said:
Hi Stephany and Chris, I will be applying for 17/18 start. Not a high school grad though- already have another bachelors degree and some work and adventure experience in life hehe

Planning to start the path to do a Ph.D now. I am pretty certain I'll be coming if I sort my financial situation until then. If anyone wants, you can email me at alex dot vysnia <a> g m ail dot com, we could do some prep together and ace the first year. Thinking about revising maths and probably studying ahead as much as possible and of course having some fun learning physics before I start

Hey Alex, hopefully we'll both end up in Leipzig come October. I'm just waiting to graduate in a week and receive my full transcript. What by chance is your previous bachelors in? I'm thinking of staying on at least for a masters, not sure if I'm going to hang on long enough for a Ph.D but who knows?

I think I'll shoot you an email, I could definitely use the calc practice over the summer! Just a quick question; how much German if any do you speak? Just want to gauge where I'm at compared to everyone else. I'm by no means fluent, probably around a B1.

Haven't studied German for about 10 years now, so probably around eine Kartoffel.. Have the basics, which I haven't used for a while, but I don't think that would be an issue, since the course itself is 100% English.

Since my previous bachelors is in Environmental Sustainability, I am making myself an extensive syllabus for math revision and learning new stuff. I have been working as a developer for the past few years and during my first bachelor, so hopefully it won't be too hard to pick up maths again, as I was still learning new concepts often and physics.. well it's always a hobby.

I'm not sure if I would stay even for Masters in Leipzig as well, unless I really like it there, which is absolutely possible for all I know.

If you e-mail me, I won't be able to reply for 2-3 weeks from now- doing a retreat in Indonesian jungle, but after that I will concentrate on Leipzig :)

Hi everyone İm going to apply 17/18 too i have already a bachelor degree too (geological engineering) İ am waiting for some financial things but i hope that i will come to Leipzig for IPSP

Hello everyone! I'm also applying for next winter semester. I've been studying economics at university for a couple of years but I'm not happy about it, so I've decided to switch to physics. Nice to meet you all! :)

Hi, guys! I'm from Venezuela and my main concerned about applying to the program is if I'm going to be able to find a work in Leipzig. I know that if you have a student visa you can work 120 full days a year, but I don't speak German and the university doesn't offer jobs opportunities until the 3rd trimester. Do you know if I can find a job in the city?

Thanks.

I think an inability to speak the language will dramatically reduce the number of jobs you might get.

Val said:
Hi, guys! I'm from Venezuela and my main concerned about applying to the program is if I'm going to be able to find a work in Leipzig. I know that if you have a student visa you can work 120 full days a year, but I don't speak German and the university doesn't offer jobs opportunities until the 3rd trimester. Do you know if I can find a job in the city?

Thanks.
Nothing is impossible, but it will be hard. I will be looking for employment too and my German is limited.

Before leaving make sure you have enough money to last for couple of months, the more the better. Maybe find local groups of people from your country, those are usually very useful while looking for a job and you could potentially pass the language barrier. Think if you could do some sort of freelancing in English.

Arya Prasetya said:
Hi Patricio, I am currently enrolled in IPSP and the programme is still well and alive. They've just moved the page recently. If you do have questions though, feel free to PM me.
Arya
I just passed my cbse board exams. Am I eligible for this course?
The course page said 12 years of school but many people here have been talking about the bridge year, is that required?
Is any German proficiency test required?

Hi, guys! My name is Shabdan. I'm from Krasnoyarsk, Russia. I'm going to study in IPSP(b) this winter from the first semester.
I already sent my documents to uni-assist a week ago from Berlin post office and I'm waiting the answer that they received ones. In their website I found that I need to wait 2 week and then write them. I'm going to write them in Monday. How long did you wait until they gave the answer, that they have your documents?

Shabdan said:
Hi, guys! My name is Shabdan. I'm from Krasnoyarsk, Russia. I'm going to study in IPSP(b) this winter from the first semester.
I already sent my documents to uni-assist a week ago from Berlin post office and I'm waiting the answer that they received ones. In their website I found that I need to wait 2 week and then write them. I'm going to write them in Monday. How long did you wait until they gave the answer, that they have your documents?

Hey Shabdan,

I'm in the same situation, mailed in my physical application to Uni-assist last Thursday, still waiting to here back. Just out of curiosity, which address did you send it to? I want to make sure I sent it to the right place. I know its not quite two weeks just yet, but I'm going to send them an email tonight, in the hopes they'll see it Monday and get back to me.

Here's the address I used;

Universität Leipzig
c/o uni-assist e. V.
Geneststraße 5
10829 Berlin
GERMANY

Got it off of the checklist found on Universitaet Leipzig's website; https://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Studium/akademisches_auslandsamt/pdf/internl_checklist_ipsp.pdf

Last edited:
Chris_H_R said:
Hey Shabdan,

I'm in the same situation, mailed in my physical application to Uni-assist last Thursday, still waiting to here back. Just out of curiosity, which address did you send it to? I want to make sure I sent it to the right place. I know its not quite two weeks just yet, but I'm going to send them an email tonight, in the hopes they'll see it Monday and get back to me.

Here's the address I used;

Universität Leipzig
c/o uni-assist e. V.
Geneststraße 5
10829 Berlin
GERMANY

Got it off of the checklist found on Universitaet Leipzig's website; https://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Studium/akademisches_auslandsamt/pdf/internl_checklist_ipsp.pdf

I wrote them few days ago, and they said that they have my documents and confirmed my payment, but the processing is not started yet. Someone who work with students like us told me that I have to wait 3-6 weeks until they start processing.

Here is the address I used:

uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin
GERMANY

But, of course, the address you used is correct too. http://www.uni-assist.de/contact-en.html

Shabdan said:
I wrote them few days ago, and they said that they have my documents and confirmed my payment, but the processing is not started yet. Someone who work with students like us told me that I have to wait 3-6 weeks until they start processing.

uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin
GERMANY

But, of course, the address you used is correct too. http://www.uni-assist.de/contact-en.html

Just
Shabdan said:

uni-assist e.V.
11507 Berlin
GERMANY

*Whew*, alright good, thanks ...was concerned I shot myself in the foot already by botching the address. Just checked their news feed; https://www.uni-assist.de/news.html, seems like they are just backlogged a bit, yesterday (Friday June 9th) they registered mail from the 31st of May. I'll send them an email just to make sure they have mine, but sounds like it has arrived but is awaiting opening/processing. So did they update your status on uni-assist? Where it says whether or not your documents have arrived and your payment has been received?

Chris_H_R said:
So did they update your status on uni-assist? Where it says whether or not your documents have arrived and your payment has been received?

Now my status looks like this:
upload_2017-6-10_22-48-9.png

Before I wrote them, there was "No" in "PAID". That is all)
About documents I know from e-mail I received as an answer to my question to them.

Wow this thread is active, I have been trying to decide between Leipzig or TU Eindhoven for Physics over the past month. Eindhoven is in the Netherlands, and they teach Applied Physics in english there which is nice, although Eindhoven is more expensive. I am familiar with differences between physics and applied physics, but am having difficulty finding a program review for Eindhoven's physics as this is the first year they are doing english applied physics. Does anyone know how different Dutch physics are from German? Eindhoven apparently has a higher ranking although I understand Germany doesn't really do ranking the same way as the rest of the world. Also Eindhovens campus seems much nicer (Leipzig is nice too but Eindhoven is brand new and much more centralized). Also I want to become a research Physicist and aspire to work at a particle accelerator or fusion reactor some day (Eindhoven has an excellent fusion masters program, but I could also pursue that after going to Leipzig). What are international activities like at Leipzig? I am having difficulty finding many but it seems like there are many international students here (I read somewhere 3000 of the 30000 students at Leipzig are international). Also I have already been accepted to Eindhoven. Does anyone have any advice is much appreciated!

Hey guys, I am Agnes from Brazil, and I also plan on applying for this Winter Semester in Leipzig :D Do you guys know if we are going to need to do Studienkolleg since the course is 100% in english? and do some of you already know where to live? thanks :)

AgnesOlivo said:
Hey guys, I am Agnes from Brazil, and I also plan on applying for this Winter Semester in Leipzig :D Do you guys know if we are going to need to do Studienkolleg since the course is 100% in english? and do some of you already know where to live? thanks :)

I believe the studienkellog depends on wether or not your high school degree qualifies you for the course, but there are optional classes in German you can take as an elective (first semester elective is German or chemistry I think) :)

Shabdan said:
View attachment 205212
About documents I know from e-mail I received as an answer to my question to them.

I am still not in back in Europe for another week, so I wasn't able to send my application yet.. Did you submit digital copies of all the required documents on uni-assist as well or did you just mail them physically?

Oh and Hi Shabdan! Seems like we'll know a big part of our coursemates from these forums hehe

Alex_Zendo said:
I am still not in back in Europe for another week, so I wasn't able to send my application yet.. Did you submit digital copies of all the required documents on uni-assist as well or did you just mail them physically?

Oh and Hi Shabdan! Seems like we'll know a big part of our coursemates from these forums hehe

Yes, I sent them(uni-assist) both digital and physical copies of my documents, the physical ones being official copies. Just received an email early this morning stating that they've received & registered my application...now the wait begins.

Likes Alex_Zendo
Chris_H_R said:
Yes, I sent them(uni-assist) both digital and physical copies of my documents, the physical ones being official copies. Just received an email early this morning stating that they've received & registered my application...now the wait begins.
hey chris
How long did they take to acknowledge that they have received your mailed documents? Fedex shows that mine reached 3 days ago, still no confirmation.
And for the payment did you put all the prescribed details in the reference line? The reference line I am being provided is too small to fit all the details. don't know what to do.

Hi chris i have sent them(uni-assist) digital too ibut i want tsend physical too can you write the adress please

Shabdan said:
View attachment 205212
hey shabdan
How did you pay the fees?
The reference line my bank provides is too small to fit the details, how did you do it?
please help I am stuck.

Shaig93 said:
Hi chris i have sent them(uni-assist) digital too ibut i want tsend physical too can you write the adress please
hey
you can send the attested copies to

Universität Leipzig
c/o uni-assist e. V.
Geneststrasse 5
10829 Berlin
GERMANY.
remember the copies need to be attested first, and then do it quickly we don't have much time at our disposal now.

Vikash ranjan said:
hey chris
How long did they take to acknowledge that they have received your mailed documents? Fedex shows that mine reached 3 days ago, still no confirmation.
And for the payment did you put all the prescribed details in the reference line? The reference line I am being provided is too small to fit all the details. don't know what to do.

Hi! In my case it took them 6 days to acknowledge the reception of my documents. Regarding the payment, the same thing happened to me, and I just put all the information (birthday,name,semester,uni-assist number) separated in comas without spaces and they accepted it. I guess that as long as you put your uni-assist number and your name or your birthday it's fine. The more the better, though.

Likes Vikash ranjan