Is the IPSP at University of Leipzig Right for a Future in Theoretical HEP?

• Schools
  • Thread starter sid0123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Sid is applying to the International Physics Study Program at the University of Leipzig and is concerned about the quality of the program and the university's rankings. He has spoken to a few people who have attended the program and found it to be difficult. He also read that there is a lot of maths in the first two years and that the responsibility for one's studies is entirely up to the student.
do you know how long it would take for them to get back?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doyeon Jin said:
do you know how long it would take for them to get back?
I would say it takes quite a while for uni assist to process maybe 4 weeks? And then they still have to send it to the university which will take probably another 1-2 weeks. It’s a lengthy process! It could be shorter or longer depending on many factors.

Do you know how to apply for residence permit? On the website, it says I have to go to some kind of office to apply within two weeks of the arrivial in Germany.

Doyeon Jin said:
Do you know how to apply for residence permit? On the website, it says I have to go to some kind of office to apply within two weeks of the arrivial in Germany.
Hi, here is a link that will give you more information about how to get your residence permit. http://www.internationale-studierende.de/fragen_zur_vorbereitung/einreise/

the website is in German, but you can copy paste it into a translator if needed to read it in English. the page the link leads you to tells you about visa/permit.

Likes Doyeon Jin
Hey friends (new classmates)!

I'm currently applying for the IPSP WS 2018/19. This upcoming week I'll have my all documents assembled since my last translated document (the high school grade diploma) comes in mail from a certified translator. It's pretty exciting to see how things go; I really wish that we will all get in.

If anyone wants to know how I assembled my documents (I live in Finland, so if you are European, this might help):
I didn't get those certified photocopies since I was able to get original documents from my school and the matriculation exam court. Honestly said, I have no idea how to get one of those, so I decided to pay a little more and get real documents instead.
I sent the language certificate and the high school grades diploma to be translated, and the translation company combined those the translated and the original documents together with the certified translation stamps. My high school diploma translation could be ordered from the matriculation exam court, so I will send the original one and the translated one to uni-assist, both of which have the official stamp on them (since the document comes from the official matriculation court).

My country has the Abitur, so this process has been very easy. Also, as a European citizen, you don't need a visa or anything like that. Just remember to check that your passport hasn't expired when you are applying.

Also, since they require for you to send a passport picture, I took the photo at home and ordered copies of it from a printing company on photo paper, which cost me only 10% of the price I'd pay at a photo shop for taking my picture. Just a quick saving tip for you all!

I have studied German for 3 years now, and use it online very frequently, have German friends, also I have visited the country several times and have lived with a German family for a week (in NRW, not Sachsen. The dialect is different). I love Germany very much, the culture and the people, and wish to live there forever if my mind won't change. What helped me to get German into my brain was to change my OS language to German, both phone and PC. I suggest y'all do that too, it makes you learn fast, especially if you already know some German. It's not necessary to know German when taking this course, but it helps with communication and understanding when we navigate in Leipzig.

Is there any good literature on the math we'll be studying to be read before we all get to Leipzig? I took advanced maths at my high school and did the advanced maths matriculation exam, but I struggled a lot with calculus, especially the last super demanding courses. I tend to understand written text better than mathematical formulas that are abstract, which I would like to change.

Hope to see you all there, let's keep in touch. Sure we'll all be as lonely when we arrive to Leipzig! I plan to take the flight on the 27th of September.

Sirius Mukari said:
Hey friends (new classmates)!

I'm currently applying for the IPSP WS 2018/19. This upcoming week I'll have my all documents assembled since my last translated document (the high school grade diploma) comes in mail from a certified translator. It's pretty exciting to see how things go; I really wish that we will all get in.

If anyone wants to know how I assembled my documents (I live in Finland, so if you are European, this might help):
I didn't get those certified photocopies since I was able to get original documents from my school and the matriculation exam court. Honestly said, I have no idea how to get one of those, so I decided to pay a little more and get real documents instead.
I sent the language certificate and the high school grades diploma to be translated, and the translation company combined those the translated and the original documents together with the certified translation stamps. My high school diploma translation could be ordered from the matriculation exam court, so I will send the original one and the translated one to uni-assist, both of which have the official stamp on them (since the document comes from the official matriculation court).

My country has the Abitur, so this process has been very easy. Also, as a European citizen, you don't need a visa or anything like that. Just remember to check that your passport hasn't expired when you are applying.

Also, since they require for you to send a passport picture, I took the photo at home and ordered copies of it from a printing company on photo paper, which cost me only 10% of the price I'd pay at a photo shop for taking my picture. Just a quick saving tip for you all!

I have studied German for 3 years now, and use it online very frequently, have German friends, also I have visited the country several times and have lived with a German family for a week (in NRW, not Sachsen. The dialect is different). I love Germany very much, the culture and the people, and wish to live there forever if my mind won't change. What helped me to get German into my brain was to change my OS language to German, both phone and PC. I suggest y'all do that too, it makes you learn fast, especially if you already know some German. It's not necessary to know German when taking this course, but it helps with communication and understanding when we navigate in Leipzig.

Is there any good literature on the math we'll be studying to be read before we all get to Leipzig? I took advanced maths at my high school and did the advanced maths matriculation exam, but I struggled a lot with calculus, especially the last super demanding courses. I tend to understand written text better than mathematical formulas that are abstract, which I would like to change.

Hope to see you all there, let's keep in touch. Sure we'll all be as lonely when we arrive to Leipzig! I plan to take the flight on the 27th of September.
Hi Sirius!
I am an American student and I’m pretty much in your position. I also studied German for 3 years! I am currently awaiting for uni assist to receive my papers, and I am hopeful. Good luck to you in the application process and I hope I am able to see you there!
-Yasmine

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hi Sirius!
I am an American student and I’m pretty much in your position. I also studied German for 3 years! I am currently awaiting for uni assist to receive my papers, and I am hopeful. Good luck to you in the application process and I hope I am able to see you there!
-Yasmine

Hi Yasmine, nice to see you here!
It's unfortunate how different European and American admission is there at Universität Leipzig and therefore I can't say a thing about your experience nor help, but I believe you've gotten it right with the documents. :) Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to send in the documents as well, so the wait begins for me, too! I'm sure you will get in, I think when it comes to German universities, most people get in since what you do during the course matters the most. So if we all study hard and help each other, we will be just fine! As long as we love physics, we can get anywhere in the STEM field when it comes to work and studies. So good to hear that you got some German knowledge as well, we should tutor each other! I believe that we will learn a lot of German when we actually live there, a human brain tends to absorb a language very fast when you get to hear it all day, every day.

Likes Yasmine Gelbman
Sirius Mukari said:
Hi Yasmine, nice to see you here!
It's unfortunate how different European and American admission is there at Universität Leipzig and therefore I can't say a thing about your experience nor help, but I believe you've gotten it right with the documents. :) Perhaps tomorrow I will be able to send in the documents as well, so the wait begins for me, too! I'm sure you will get in, I think when it comes to German universities, most people get in since what you do during the course matters the most. So if we all study hard and help each other, we will be just fine! As long as we love physics, we can get anywhere in the STEM field when it comes to work and studies. So good to hear that you got some German knowledge as well, we should tutor each other! I believe that we will learn a lot of German when we actually live there, a human brain tends to absorb a language very fast when you get to hear it all day, every day.
Wow it’s nice to see someone who is very passionate about science going into this! I feel the same way, hopefully our love for physics will be enough to get us through the difficult math haha. I think we will all be able to learn German very fast and I am hopeful fosbthe

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Wow it’s nice to see someone who is very passionate about science going into this! I feel the same way, hopefully our love for physics will be enough to get us through the difficult math haha. I think we will all be able to learn German very fast and I am hopeful fosbthe
* for the future

Yasmine Gelbman said:
* for the future
Hey, since you went to school in US, I assume you submitted either ACT or SAT results.
How did you certify it? Did you just printed a score report and took it to the local notary office?

Doyeon Jin said:
Hey, since you went to school in US, I assume you submitted either ACT or SAT results.
How did you certify it? Did you just printed a score report and took it to the local notary office?
I actually just gave it as is because the ACT results seem pretty official anyways, hopefully that was not a mistake!

Oh ok, so did you just print the score report from ACT website and sent it?

Doyeon Jin said:
Oh ok, so did you just print the score report from ACT website and sent it?
Yup! I know of others who did the same so no worries

Doyeon Jin said:
Is it "Universität Leipzig c/o uni-assist e. V. Geneststraße 5 10829 Berlin GERMANY?"
Dear Doyeon,
Have you heard anything from Uni assist yet? I sent it to this address and have heard nothing and I’m getting worried

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Dear Doyeon,
Have you heard anything from Uni assist yet? I sent it to this address and have heard nothing and I’m getting worried
Yes, I got a confirmation email saying that they received some of my required documents. I sent it a while ago, and just got the email like a few days ago lol.
They are slow. Don't worry, they should send you the confirmation of receipt email sooner or later.

Doyeon Jin said:
Yes, I got a confirmation email saying that they received some of my required documents. I sent it a while ago, and just got the email like a few days ago lol.
They are slow. Don't worry, they should send you the confirmation of receipt email sooner or later.
Wow that’s a relief. At least I know that the address we used is not just some office in Berlin unrelated to uni assist! How long ago did you send yours of i may ask?

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Wow that’s a relief. At least I know that the address we used is not just some office in Berlin unrelated to uni assist! How long ago did you send yours of i may ask?
*if

Yasmine Gelbman said:
*if
I sent it three weeks ago. You should be informed either this week or next week I think.

Doyeon Jin said:
I sent it three weeks ago. You should be informed either this week or next week I think.
Wow Doyeon! You’ve given me hope. I was really getting worried, but I think it’ll be okay.

Likes Sirius Mukari and Doyeon Jin
Yasmine Gelbman said:
Me too, it's nice to see that we are all there because we love the subject! High school was so different since you had to study tons of different subjects at the same time, we are all very motivated for sure since we study what we love. :) Of course the Physik IPSP has some cool electives to choose from, so it's not all physics! By the way Yasmine, do you plan to go on a German course? I'm not sure, I feel like when you are actually living there in Germany, you can learn a lot faster than in class since you already got the basics. Though Leipzig offers German courses, which is great!

I just sent my application yesterday, I got the tracking number because I'm a nervous person and something might get lost even if Germany is quite close to Finland. It should arrive during this week! Guys, don't worry about the application too much, if you are sending it from the US, it takes some time. Also, what I can recommend is that if it's affordable, you have a tracking number for the letter. The documents we send to the uni are super valuable and we all made a huge effort to get all of them together, so it's worth it. Especially if you live outside EU! The uni-assist will inform us all when the letter arrives, give it some time. :)

Sirius Mukari said:
Me too, it's nice to see that we are all there because we love the subject! High school was so different since you had to study tons of different subjects at the same time, we are all very motivated for sure since we study what we love. :) Of course the Physik IPSP has some cool electives to choose from, so it's not all physics! By the way Yasmine, do you plan to go on a German course? I'm not sure, I feel like when you are actually living there in Germany, you can learn a lot faster than in class since you already got the basics. Though Leipzig offers German courses, which is great!
Hey Sirius, I definitely am going to take the German course since I feel it can’t hurt! I know what you mean though since I’m sure I’ll learn more from the locals than I can in the classroom. I think it’ll be fun though!

Sirius Mukari said:
I just sent my application yesterday, I got the tracking number because I'm a nervous person and something might get lost even if Germany is quite close to Finland. It should arrive during this week! Guys, don't worry about the application too much, if you are sending it from the US, it takes some time. Also, what I can recommend is that if it's affordable, you have a tracking number for the letter. The documents we send to the uni are super valuable and we all made a huge effort to get all of them together, so it's worth it. Especially if you live outside EU! The uni-assist will inform us all when the letter arrives, give it some time. :)
Yeah I definitely am a worrier! I think we’ll all be okay and I have my fingers crossed for everyone.

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hey Sirius, I definitely am going to take the German course since I feel it can’t hurt! I know what you mean though since I’m sure I’ll learn more from the locals than I can in the classroom. I think it’ll be fun though!
That's great to hear! The ones that the uni offers are kinda pricey, but I'm sure Leipzig has tons of other German courses that are affordable and as good. :) I'm not sure whether I should go on one, I've always learned by doing instead of listening, so I'll probably learn well enough from just living there!

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Yeah I definitely am a worrier! I think we’ll all be okay and I have my fingers crossed for everyone.
Indeed! No need to worry. I think we all will be admitted for the Physik IPSP since the program is not that popular. As long as we submitted all that was needed, we will be fine.

Sirius Mukari said:
That's great to hear! The ones that the uni offers are kinda pricey, but I'm sure Leipzig has tons of other German courses that are affordable and as good. :) I'm not sure whether I should go on one, I've always learned by doing instead of listening, so I'll probably learn well enough from just living there!
Actually I’ve talked to the university and as international students we have included, free, German courses! I think you’ll have to do what I am going to do though and have them bump me up to a higher level class, we can figure out how to do this once we get there hopefully

By the way,
Yasmine Gelbman said:
Actually I’ve talked to the university and as international students we have included, free, German courses! I think you’ll have to do what I am going to do though and have them bump me up to a higher level class, we can figure out how to do this once we get there hopefully
Really? That would be great, thanks for telling me this! I have no idea why the uni told me about those expensive classes (I think they were prepatory classes before the semester starts), but this sounds excellent! We should go to the same class since I think we both have the same level of German skills, so we can figure this out together when we are there! Thanks a lot, Yasmin. Didn't know there was an opportunity. With classes our German language skills will skyrocket!

Now that we are soon entering July, I suggest you all take a look at the accommodation in Leipzig, which is provided by Studentenwerk Leipzig:
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime

The apartments which are near our faculty (Fakultät für Physik und Geowissenschaften, Linnéstraße 5, 04103 Leipzig, Deutschland) are the following ones:
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/strasse-des-18-oktober-23-33 (Str. des 18. Oktober is a major street in this area, so the apartment buildings are next to it)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/philipp-rosenthal-strasse-29-33 (this one's basically next to the faculty)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/am-gutenbergplatz-4 (this one's a bit more far away from the faculty, still close though!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/am-bayerischen-bahnhof (pricey but gorgeous!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/tarostrasse-12-18 (REWE right next to it!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/talstrasse-12a (closer to the city center, so price's going up)

Next to the faculty are Strassenbahn and S-Bahn stations, so we will get around the city super comfortably. Also I think the semester fee includes free public transport (?) within Leipzig, or was it that we get the student card and have to 'upload' money into it at the uni with the machines?

Sirius Mukari said:
Now that we are soon entering July, I suggest you all take a look at the accommodation in Leipzig, which is provided by Studentenwerk Leipzig:
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime

The apartments which are near our faculty (Fakultät für Physik und Geowissenschaften, Linnéstraße 5, 04103 Leipzig, Deutschland) are the following ones:
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/strasse-des-18-oktober-23-33 (Str. des 18. Oktober is a major street in this area, so the apartment buildings are next to it)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/philipp-rosenthal-strasse-29-33 (this one's basically next to the faculty)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/am-gutenbergplatz-4 (this one's a bit more far away from the faculty, still close though!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/am-bayerischen-bahnhof (pricey but gorgeous!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/tarostrasse-12-18 (REWE right next to it!)
https://www.studentenwerk-leipzig.de/wohnen/studentenwohnheime/talstrasse-12a (closer to the city center, so price's going up)

Next to the faculty are Strassenbahn and S-Bahn stations, so we will get around the city super comfortably. Also I think the semester fee includes free public transport (?) within Leipzig, or was it that we get the student card and have to 'upload' money into it at the uni with the machines?
Hey Sirius,
Yup the semester fee is basically a public transportation pass which gives us free rides anywhere in Leipzig! I think that’s where the bulk of the fee goes to. By the way how is your application going?
Here is a link to everyone for reference of what classes we can take, I suggest reading over it since I found it super helpful!
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Physics_IPSP_BSc_23.04.15.pdf

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hey Sirius,
Yup the semester fee is basically a public transportation pass which gives us free rides anywhere in Leipzig! I think that’s where the bulk of the fee goes to. By the way how is your application going?
Here is a link to everyone for reference of what classes we can take, I suggest reading over it since I found it super helpful!
http://www.uni-leipzig.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Physics_IPSP_BSc_23.04.15.pdf
Hey Yasmine! That's really really awesome. None of the universities I've heard of offer such an amazing deal, and pupils usually have to pay for the transportation. Is it just me or do you guys feel that this program is too good to be true? I love Leipzig already! We can basically explore the area as much as we like without worrying about money.
Thanks for asking, uni-assist sent me an email last Monday and they have received my application and the payment! How about you?
Thanks for the link, I'll print it!

Sirius Mukari said:
Hey Yasmine! That's really really awesome. None of the universities I've heard of offer such an amazing deal, and pupils usually have to pay for the transportation. Is it just me or do you guys feel that this program is too good to be true? I love Leipzig already! We can basically explore the area as much as we like without worrying about money.
Thanks for asking, uni-assist sent me an email last Monday and they have received my application and the payment! How about you?
Thanks for the link, I'll print it!
Hey Sirius, my application was also received and payment went through so I’m definitely looking forward to a response from them! I’m also really excited to see Leipzig and I think the university is definitely a great deal.

Yasmine Gelbman said:
Hey Sirius, my application was also received and payment went through so I’m definitely looking forward to a response from them! I’m also really excited to see Leipzig and I think the university is definitely a great deal.
That's really good to hear, I guess we are all waiting for uni-assist to get back to us by now! Let's hope that there won't be any issue with the application documents, sometimes they can be extremely strict about the smallest of things, but we'll be fine for sure since they will inform us if something's wrong! I also looked at the study guide document you linked here, and it's true that we will have a free language course there! So nice to see that it's part of the program.

Hey guys. Do you think that studentenwerk can be relied on enough for it to be the only option? I have submitted my application there; my preferences being for the one close to Bayerischen Bahnhof, the one on Nuernbergerstrasse, and the one on Philip Rosenthal Strasse (in that order). Apart from the options that Sirius suggested above (Hello Sirius!), the one on Nuernberger Strasse seems to be another good option. The only drawback that I see with these accommodations is that the internet connection would not be wireless.

Manik Dawar said:
Hey guys. Do you think that studentenwerk can be relied on enough for it to be the only option? I have submitted my application there; my preferences being for the one close to Bayerischen Bahnhof, the one on Nuernbergerstrasse, and the one on Philip Rosenthal Strasse (in that order). Apart from the options that Sirius suggested above (Hello Sirius!), the one on Nuernberger Strasse seems to be another good option. The only drawback that I see with these accommodations is that the internet connection would not be wireless.
Hi Manik! I suggest that you pick the best ones like you did already since you might not get your top pick. Frankly I believe that it all depends on how many people applied for the same apartments/dorms and how many people already live there. Some apartment buildings are more popular than others. But I'm sure all of us will get an apartment/dorm room through Studentenwerk, so there's no need to worry! Also, I have found out a solution for apartments that have no wifi: just buy a router or take an old one with you from home, and connect the cable to the router. I have a few old routers lying around, so if I end up getting an apartment with no wifi, I will take it with me to Leipzig! A wifi repeater is as good as a router, and often way cheaper.

Likes Manik Dawar
Sirius Mukari said:
Hi Manik! I suggest that you pick the best ones like you did already since you might not get your top pick. Frankly I believe that it all depends on how many people applied for the same apartments/dorms and how many people already live there. Some apartment buildings are more popular than others. But I'm sure all of us will get an apartment/dorm room through Studentenwerk, so there's no need to worry! Also, I have found out a solution for apartments that have no wifi: just buy a router or take an old one with you from home, and connect the cable to the router. I have a few old routers lying around, so if I end up getting an apartment with no wifi, I will take it with me to Leipzig! A wifi repeater is as good as a router, and often way cheaper.
I would also like to mention to everyone that Leipzig is known as being a VERY cheap city to live in, and if the whole Studentenwerk doesn’t work out, you can only find an apartment on your own. There are many great options and this is exactly what i am doing, and I advise looking on some popular German apartment rental websites! The best part about getting an actually apartment is that it most of the time will come furnished and the utilities are included in the monthly rent, I think it’s worth checking into!

Likes Sirius Mukari and Manik Dawar