1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sifting Property of the Impulse Function

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem
    I have a problem grasping what the point of the sifting property of the Dirac function is.
    It isolates the value at a point in a function, right?
    Doesn't just substituting that point into the function do exactly the same thing?

2. Relevant equations

Sifting poperty:
    if [itex]f(t)[/itex] is continuous at [itex]t=a[/itex] then

[itex]\int_{-∞}^∞f(t)δ(t-a)dt= f(a)[/itex]

from: Glyn James, Advanced Modern Engineering Mathematics (3rd Ed), Section 2.5, p.155

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so based on the properties of the delta function you know
    [tex]\int \delta (x) dx = 1 [/tex]

A handwaving explanation is that if f is continuous and if you zoom in on a small enough region [itex] (x-\epsilon, x+\epsilon) [/itex], then f(x) will be close to constant on this region.

The delta function zero everywhere except at x=a and the integral evaluates to exactly the value of the function at the point x=a
    [tex]\int f(x)\delta (x-a) dx = f(a) [/tex]

It is the same as substituting into the function for f(a), and this is exactly what the inequality tells you. It is a useful propperty of the delta function for various mathematical manipulations

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3
    First of all, thanks for the reply.

I understand how the shifting property works and how it equates to the function at point x=a.

What I don't see are the "various mathematical manipulations", its usefulness.
    Under what circumstances does it make life simpler to write [itex]\int f(t)δ(t-a)dt[/itex] than simply [itex]f(a)[/itex]?

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

Hows your probability? one that springs to mind is as follows...

say you have two independent random variables X & Y, with joint pdf [itex] p_{X,Y}(x,y) = p_{X}(x)p_{Y}(y)[/itex]

And say you want to find the probability distirbution for [itex] Z= X+Y [\itex]

Well p(z) will only have contibutions when z= x+y, or z-x-y=0, so you can write
    [tex] p_{Z}(z) = \int \int p_{X}(x)p_{Y}(y) \delta(z-x-y)dxdy [/tex]
    [tex] p_{Z}(z) = \int \int p_{X}(x)p_{Y}(z-x) dx [/tex]

which shows the distribution of the sum of two RVs is given by the convolution of their distributions

6. Nov 22, 2011 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

In fact its almost the opposite, in that if you end up with an integral with a delta function in it, you can use the above fact to simplify the expression

7. Nov 23, 2011 #6
    I'm starting to get it. Though, looking at it, would your example not result in:

[itex] p_{Z}(z) = \int p_{X}(x)p_{Y}(x-z) dx [/itex]

due to the sign of the [itex]y[/itex] and the one integral being cancelled?

I take it you would also be able to use this to eliminate the integral w.r.t [itex]x[/itex] if it turns out to be more convenient?

[itex] p_{Z}(z) = \int p_{Y}(y)p_{X}(y-z) dy [/itex]

8. Nov 23, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

Not quite you can only use it in this case because you only want contributions from where z=x+y. When integrating over y, this occurs when y=z-x in the delta function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook