Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign for a clockwise moment

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    Why are clockwise moments taken as negative and anti-clockwise moment as positive? Why not the other way around?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An arbitrary convention. But if you like the right-hand rule, you will find that your right thumb points up if your fingers are curled in the counter-clockwise direction.

Perhaps the clock makers are the ones with the wrong convention!

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3

Nathanael

Homework Helper

If you do it the other way around, you'll get the same answers (as long as you are consistent).

I actually sometimes do it the other way around (because when I visualize 3D coords, the Z axis goes out forward in front of me, so pointing my thumb in the positive direction makes my fingers curl clockwise)

So for my X and Y axes it's "the right hand rule" but for my Z axis, (in order to be consistent,) it's "the left hand rule"

(I could just flip my Z axis, but that's very unnatural to me, especially when the Z axis represents time)

Like Ultrafast said, it's just a convention.

I just wanted to point out that "the right hand rule" only works if you follow another arbitrary convention (the conventional positive/negative directions of each axis)

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do whatever you like as long as you are consistent.

6. Jun 25, 2014 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... and explain which convention you are using!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook