Electrode Sign: + or -? Understanding Cell Potential

In summary, the electrodes in cells usually have a sign of either + or -, but this is not actually based on charges. The + or - should instead point to the cell with the higher (+) or lower potential (-) given by the table of redox reactions.
pivoxa15
Electrodes in cells usually have a sign of either + or -

My textbook talks about the + as because the electrode is positively charged and - when negatively charged. But is that correct? The electrodes are meant to be conductors and shouldn't be charged at any time. When they do, the ions leave them and migrate into the solution.

So the + or - should instead point to the cell with the higher (+) or lower potential (-) given by the table of redox reactions. Nothing to do with charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance of the cell is greater than zero so the charge just naturally piles up on the negative electrode.

How do you explain the positive electrode is mainly positively charged?

Strip away a few electrons and the remaining electrode has a net positive charge.

It's not actually the charge they are talking about in your textbook, it's the flow of electrons.
Are you talking about a galvanic or an electrolytic cell?

chemisttree said:
Strip away a few electrons and the remaining electrode has a net positive charge.

But the electrons are pepertually moving so when electrons are lost, new ones are added.

+Minkie+ said:
It's not actually the charge they are talking about in your textbook, it's the flow of electrons.
Are you talking about a galvanic or an electrolytic cell?

I think it dosen't matter which. They use their explanation for both. I know that from a physics textbook, the + and - ends of a battery are not described as + charge or - charge but higher and lower potential for + and - respectively.

It does matter.
In a galvanic cell the cathode is positive and the anode is negative.
In an electrolytic cell the cathode is negative and the anode is positive.

So we need to know whether your producing electricity from a cell, e.g. a battery.
Or putting electricity into a cell, e.g. electroplating.

I think my textbook would say that cathode is positive => cathode is positively charged. cathode is negative => cathode is negatively charged. However, I like to intepret positive as higher potential and negative as lower potential. In this light I agree that (as you stated)

In a galvanic cell the cathode is positive and the anode is negative.
In an electrolytic cell the cathode is negative and the anode is positive.

So I disagree witht the textbook in this fundalmental point of intepretation.

Possibly referring to when electrons are lost negative charge is lost, hence the atom they were lost from gains a positive charge.
I don't know why this would apply to the electrodes though, only the ions.

+Minkie+ said:
Possibly referring to when electrons are lost negative charge is lost, hence the atom they were lost from gains a positive charge.
I don't know why this would apply to the electrodes though, only the ions.

That's the thing, in my view, the electrods should merely be charge carriers and be electrically neutral. Charge gained=charge lost at all times for an ideal electrode.

Ya well I can't think of anything else, so I think it may be the textbook.
They don't get proof read very well so it is quite likely.

1. What is an electrode sign and how is it related to cell potential?

The electrode sign refers to the charge of an electrode, either positive (+) or negative (-), and it is related to cell potential because it determines the direction of electron flow in an electrochemical cell.

2. How do I know which electrode sign corresponds to which charge?

In a galvanic cell, the anode has a negative electrode sign (-) and the cathode has a positive electrode sign (+). In an electrolytic cell, the anode has a positive electrode sign (+) and the cathode has a negative electrode sign (-).

3. What is the significance of the electrode sign in determining the overall cell potential?

The electrode sign is an important factor in calculating cell potential because it determines the direction of electron flow and the sign of the potential difference between the two electrodes. This potential difference is then used to calculate the overall cell potential.

4. Can the electrode sign change during a redox reaction?

Yes, the electrode sign can change during a redox reaction. In a galvanic cell, the electrode sign of the anode becomes more positive as it is oxidized, while the electrode sign of the cathode becomes more negative as it is reduced. In an electrolytic cell, the electrode sign of the anode becomes more negative as it is reduced, while the electrode sign of the cathode becomes more positive as it is oxidized.

5. How does the electrode sign affect the direction of redox reactions?

The electrode sign determines the direction of electron flow in a redox reaction. An electrode with a positive sign will attract electrons, causing it to be reduced, while an electrode with a negative sign will repel electrons, causing it to be oxidized. This ultimately affects the direction of the redox reaction, determining which species is oxidized and which is reduced.