Sign problem in the rocket equation

In summary: The diagram writes ##+\Delta m##, which I think is misleading.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the mass ejected and the change in mass of a rocket, and how they must be equal and opposite. The equation Δm=ΔM is not valid as it would imply that the rocket is gaining mass, while in reality it is losing mass. The conversation also includes an analogy with two glasses of water to illustrate this concept. Overall, the conversation clarifies the concept of mass conservation in a rocket and the correct notation for representing the mass of ejected fuel.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
A quiz question
Relevant Equations
##\vec p_1=\vec p_f##
Question:
1605453226652.png

Solution:
1605453240747.png

Issue:
I would like to know why ##\Delta m=-\Delta M## rather than ##=\Delta M## if minus signs have been used in the second equation. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
I would like to know why ##\Delta m=-\Delta M## rather than ##=\Delta M## if minus signs have been used in the second equation. Thank you.
I assume that ##\Delta m## is the mass ejected and ##\Delta M## is the change in the mass of the rocket. They must be equal and opposite. If they were equal, then the rocket would be ejecting mass and gaining that mass - which is not right.

Likes Leo Liu
Note that positive momentum is taken to be in the direction of the forward motion of the rocket. Does the quantity ##u - v - \Delta v## represent the velocity of the ejected fuel in the forward direction or the rearward direction? Thus, should the final momentum of the ejected fuel (in the forward direction) be written as ##+\Delta m (u - v - \Delta v)## or as ##-\Delta m (u - v - \Delta v)##? [As @PeroK noted, ##\Delta m## represents the mass of the ejected fuel. So, ##\Delta m## is positive.]

Likes Leo Liu
Hello. Thanks for your reply.
TSny said:
Does the quantity u−v−Δv represent the velocity of the ejected fuel in the forward direction or the rearward direction?
It probably means backward.
TSny said:
Thus, should the final momentum of the ejected fuel (in the forward direction) be written as +Δm(u−v−Δv) or as −Δm(u−v−Δv)?
The second one I guess since the momentum of the fuel points "upward". Yet would the answer change if I wrote the velocities in the vector notation?

PeroK said:
I assume that ##\Delta m## is the mass ejected and ##\Delta M## is the change in the mass of the rocket. They must be equal and opposite. If they were equal, then the rocket would be ejecting mass and gaining that mass - which is not right.
Could you tell me why this substitution is valid even if it makes the rocket seem as if it is gaining mass ##(2M(t)+2dM+M_0)(v+dv)##?

Leo Liu said:
Could you tell me why this substitution is valid even if it makes the rocket seem as if it is gaining mass ##(2M(t)+2dM+M_0)(v+dv)##?
Why does the rocket seem to be gaining mass?

PeroK said:
Why does the rocket seem to be gaining mass?
The reason is that the second term 2dM seems to be positive. But I get it now.

I am afraid that I still don't quite understand why we cannot make ##\Delta m=\Delta M##. Does the reason have something to do with ##-\Delta m(u-v-\Delta v)##?

Leo Liu said:
The reason is that the second term 2dM seems to be positive. But I get it now.

I am afraid that I still don't quite understand why we cannot make ##\Delta m=\Delta M##.

You can do that. That means that the rocket is gaining mass. That's a different problem, where the rocket is bombarded by particles. In this problem the rocket is losing mass.

I don't know if this analogy will help. Suppose we have two glasses of water. The mass of water in the first glass is denoted by ##M## and the mass in the second glass is denoted by ##m##. Suppose I pour a little water from the first glass into the second glass.

The change in mass of water in the first glass would be denoted ##\Delta M##. Since the mass of water in the first glass decreases, ##\Delta M## is a negative number.

The change in mass of water in the second glass would be denoted ##\Delta m##. Since the mass of water in the second glass increases, ##\Delta m## is a positive number.

The equation ##\Delta m = \Delta M## cannot be correct since it says that a negative number equals a positive number. The correct equation is ##\Delta m = -\Delta M##.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
TSny said:
The change in mass of water in the first glass would be denoted ##\Delta M##. Since the mass of water in the first glass decreases, ##\Delta M## is a negative number.

The change in mass of water in the second glass would be denoted ##\Delta m##. Since the mass of water in the second glass increases, ##\Delta m## is a positive number..
I find this analogy very helpful. Many thanks!

In my opinion, the diagram in the first post is incorrect in how it writes the mass of the ejected fuel. The mass of the ejected fuel is ##dm##, which equals ##-dM##.

1605467759209.png

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu

What is the "sign problem" in the rocket equation?

The "sign problem" in the rocket equation refers to the issue of determining the direction of thrust in the equation. Depending on the reference frame used, the direction of thrust can be positive or negative, leading to different solutions.

How does the sign problem affect rocket design?

The sign problem can affect the design of a rocket by influencing the amount of fuel needed for a given mission. If the direction of thrust is not accurately accounted for, the rocket may not have enough fuel to reach its destination or may carry excess fuel, making it less efficient.

What are some potential solutions to the sign problem?

Some potential solutions to the sign problem include using a consistent reference frame in the rocket equation, using vector notation to account for both positive and negative thrust, and performing multiple calculations with different assumptions to determine a range of possible solutions.

How do scientists and engineers address the sign problem in rocket design?

Scientists and engineers address the sign problem by carefully considering the reference frame used in the rocket equation and ensuring that all calculations are consistent. They may also use advanced mathematical techniques to accurately account for the direction of thrust and optimize the design of the rocket.

What are the consequences of not addressing the sign problem in rocket design?

If the sign problem is not properly addressed in rocket design, it can lead to inefficient use of fuel, incorrect calculations for trajectory and velocity, and potentially even mission failure. It is crucial for scientists and engineers to carefully consider and account for the sign problem in order to ensure the success of a rocket launch.