1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signal average power (complex signal)

1. Mar 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the average signal power of the complex signal x(t) = e ^ jwt

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to solve this but I have a couple of questions on why we have the take the magnitude of the complex signal in the integral? Besides, does a complex signal mean anything in reality? because the way I figured it is complex analysis is just a mathematical tool to help us analyse sinusoidal signals and a signal is always a real or an imaginery part of a complex function (e ^ jwt) and cant be both.

And as such I tried evaluating the integral of e ^ jwt from 0 to To using two ways:

1. write the exponential e ^ jwt in terms of cos and j sin then square that to give cos^2 wt +j2cos (wt) sin (wt) - sin^2 wt where it evaluates to some finite value
    2. square the funciton so it becomes e ^ j 2wt and write that in terms of cos and j sin where it evaluates to 0

this is too mathematical I know, but how come the two mathematically valid manipulations yield integrals with different values?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2009 #2
    y am i being ignored?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook