Signal/Image Processing & Communications Careers?

In summary, the conversation discusses various aspects of a career in Signal/Image Processing, Communications, or Intelligent systems. The individual has a Master's degree in EE and is starting a job in image processing with a focus on computer vision and robotics. The job involves using Matlab for prototyping and VHDL and FPGA for implementation. The necessary skills for this career include linear algebra, microprocessor design, calculus, optimization, and DSP. The individual recommends doing an internship and hobby projects to stand out for job opportunities. In terms of complementary electives, control systems, fault-tolerant computing, signal processing, parallel computing, and communications systems are mentioned as potential choices. The individual also suggests advertising their blog on a college engineering forum for more exposure.
Lacero
Can you tell me about your career in Signal/Image Processing, Communications, or Intelligent systems? I would like to know what a career in these industries is like with and without a phd.

Also, what skills are needed? I'm sure mathematics is one but to what level?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I have a masters in EE and I'm starting a job in image processing (my research was in computer vision / robotics)

So far its pretty good. Image processing tends to be a hodge-podge of methods so it takes a lot of reading to keep up. We mostly prototype algorithms in Matlab then implement them in VHDL and FPGA.

In terms of skills: definitely linear algebra, that's a big one. Some microprocessor design courses and calculus are useful as well. Optimization (and hence variational calculus) are big parts of signal processing. You should take some DSP courses as well, since everything is digital nowadays.

subSquall
The Subversive Guide to Engineering
Latest Post: Engineering Jobs: What Have Graduates Been Doing
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reply subSquall!

Oh wow! VHDL, FPGA, Microprocessor design? and here I was thinking it may be to my advantage to switch to a software engineering program (from computer. I thought I would be the wise one avoiding courses in DSD and Microprocessor systems!

Would you also be able to comment on the commercial opportunities in Canada for such work? I'm just a confused undergrad who desperately wants an interesting job/career! LOL. Also, is there anything I could do outside of class to stand out for a job/graduate school? My grades are pretty crappy right now...

Hey, if you can do FPGA stuff, the job opportunities are pretty good in Canada. A lot of companies look for people that can do FPGA stuff or embedded software programming (like microcontrollers -- most embedded software developers are EEs, not software eng grads since you need to understand the underlying circuit and digital fundamentals)

The best way to get a job is to do an internship. This article has some more tips:
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com/2009/04/getting-engineering-job-after-you.html

The next best thing is to do some hobby projects. You can get a cheap microcontroller development board (ie www.microchip.com) or (slightly more expensive) an FPGA development board (student ones are about $99) and do some projects. There are lots of tutorials on the web and fun stuff you can make. I recommend Xilinx for FPGAs, Altera = crap.

subSquall
Subversive Guide to Engineering
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey subSquall, What do you think is a good complement to an embedded system elective in terms of interesting job accessibility? Which ones can I safely skip and pick up after graduation/on my own?

Control Systems: Is industrial control software run off PC's or FPGA/microcontrollers? How does one get into machine control software engineering?

Fault-Tolerant Computing:Sounds useful...

Signal processing:The math seems really advanced, maybe an MS?

Parallel Computing: Multithreaded embedded software?

Commnuications systems: Information theory.

P.S. Good Blog! Very useful information, you should advertise in on the talk.collegeconfidential.com engineering forum.

1. What are the job responsibilities of a signal/image processing and communications professional?

A signal/image processing and communications professional uses computer algorithms and techniques to analyze and manipulate signals and images. They are responsible for designing, implementing, and testing signal processing systems, as well as developing communication protocols and networks.

2. What are the most common industries that employ signal/image processing and communications professionals?

Signal/image processing and communications professionals are in high demand in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, defense and security, healthcare, and entertainment. They can also work in research and development, government agencies, and consulting firms.

3. What skills are necessary for a successful career in signal/image processing and communications?

A strong background in mathematics, computer science, and engineering is essential for a career in signal/image processing and communications. Proficiency in programming languages like MATLAB, Python, and C++ is also important. Additionally, having excellent problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills is crucial for success in this field.

4. What are the typical education requirements for a career in signal/image processing and communications?

Most employers prefer candidates with at least a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, computer science, or a related field. Some positions may require a Master's or Ph.D. for more advanced research and development roles.

5. What is the job outlook for signal/image processing and communications careers?

The demand for signal/image processing and communications professionals is expected to continue to grow in the coming years due to the increasing use of technology in various industries. The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 5% growth in employment for electrical and electronics engineers, which includes signal/image processing and communications professionals, from 2019 to 2029.