Signals - is this problem supposed to be so long?

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Signals
In summary, the problem involves finding the Fourier series of the output of an RC circuit with a given frequency response, using the fact that Y(ω) = X(ω)H(ω). The steps involved are finding the series coefficients of X(ω) and then using the inverse Fourier transform to calculate y(t).
FrogPad
Ok, I am working through these review problems and I'm coming up short here. I have a TON of problems to do, and I just feel like I am spending way to much time on this one. Could someone tell me if I am on the right track, or is there an easier way to do this.

Thank you.

Question:
Determine the Fourier series of the output of the RC circuit with input shown below:
2227524302_7129ed8e0c.jpg

Image Link (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/2227524302_7129ed8e0c.jpg")

Solution:
So in the previous part of the problem I found the frequency response (given conditions that RC=1) to be: [tex] H(\omega) = \frac{1}{1+j \omega} [/tex].

So my thought at the solution is to use the fact that [tex] Y(\omega) = X(\omega)H(\omega) [/tex], and then from this I could find [tex] y(t) [/tex]. Thus, an outline of the solution is:

Outline of possible solution
1: Find [tex] X(\omega) [/tex]
2: Calculate [tex] Y(\omega) [/tex]
3: Calculate [tex] y(t) [/tex]
4: Find coefficients of y(t)

So here are my steps thus far.

1: One period of x(t) is [tex] T = 2 [/tex]. I can therefore write the function as:
x(t) = -2t+1 for t=[0,1]
x(t) = 2(t-2)+1 for 1=[1,2]

The series coefficients are found by:
[tex] a_k = \frac{1}{T} \int_T x(t) e^{-jk \omega_0 t} dt [/tex]

After a lot of simplifcation I arrive at:
[tex] a_k = \frac{4}{k^2 \pi^2}, \,\,\, k=odd [/tex]
[tex] a_k = 0, \,\,\, k=even [/tex]

Finally,
[tex] X(\omega) = 2 \pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} a_k \delta(\omega -k \pi) [/tex]

2: [tex] Y(\omega) = \left( \frac{1}{1+j\omega} \right) \left( 2 \pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} a_k \delta(\omega -k \pi) \right) [/tex]

I stopped here... am I on the right track?

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. To finish the problem, you should calculate y(t) using the inverse Fourier transform of Y(ω). After this you can use the Fourier series to find the coefficients of y(t).

FAQ: Signals - is this problem supposed to be so long?

1. What is the purpose of the "Signals" problem?

The "Signals" problem is designed to test your understanding of signal processing and analysis. It presents a real-world scenario where you must use your knowledge of signals to solve a problem and make conclusions.

2. Why is the "Signals" problem so long?

The "Signals" problem is intentionally long in order to provide a thorough and comprehensive exercise in signal analysis. It covers a wide range of concepts and techniques that are important for understanding signals in various contexts.

3. Do I need advanced mathematics knowledge to solve the "Signals" problem?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary for signal processing, the "Signals" problem does not require advanced knowledge. It mainly focuses on applying concepts and techniques rather than complex mathematical equations.

4. How can I approach solving the "Signals" problem?

First, make sure you have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques related to signals. Then, carefully read and analyze the problem to determine the necessary steps and approach. Finally, use your knowledge to solve the problem and draw conclusions.

5. Can I use any software or tools to help me solve the "Signals" problem?

It is recommended to use software or tools that are commonly used in signal processing, such as MATLAB or Python. However, make sure you have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques before relying solely on these tools.