1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Signals - is this problem supposed to be so long?

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    Ok, I am working through these review problems and I'm coming up short here. I have a TON of problems to do, and I just feel like I am spending way to much time on this one. Could someone tell me if I am on the right track, or is there an easier way to do this.

Thank you.

Determine the Fourier series of the output of the RC circuit with input shown below:

Image Link (here)

So in the previous part of the problem I found the frequency response (given conditions that RC=1) to be: [tex] H(\omega) = \frac{1}{1+j \omega} [/tex].

So my thought at the solution is to use the fact that [tex] Y(\omega) = X(\omega)H(\omega) [/tex], and then from this I could find [tex] y(t) [/tex]. Thus, an outline of the solution is:

Outline of possible solution
    1: Find [tex] X(\omega) [/tex]
    2: Calculate [tex] Y(\omega) [/tex]
    3: Calculate [tex] y(t) [/tex]
    4: Find coefficients of y(t)

So here are my steps thus far.

1: One period of x(t) is [tex] T = 2 [/tex]. I can therefore write the function as:
    x(t) = -2t+1 for t=[0,1]
    x(t) = 2(t-2)+1 for 1=[1,2]

The series coefficients are found by:
    [tex] a_k = \frac{1}{T} \int_T x(t) e^{-jk \omega_0 t} dt [/tex]

After a lot of simplifcation I arrive at:
    [tex] a_k = \frac{4}{k^2 \pi^2}, \,\,\, k=odd [/tex]
    [tex] a_k = 0, \,\,\, k=even [/tex]

[tex] X(\omega) = 2 \pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} a_k \delta(\omega -k \pi) [/tex]

2: [tex] Y(\omega) = \left( \frac{1}{1+j\omega} \right) \left( 2 \pi \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty} a_k \delta(\omega -k \pi) \right) [/tex]

I stopped here... am I on the right track?

Thanks !
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?