Signals unit impulse response h(t) ECHO

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the unit impulse response and sketching the magnitude and phase of an audio system with two echoes. It also includes designing a system to eliminate noise from a 60Hz power signal and deriving its time input response. The attempt at a solution involves using the Euler relation and standard methods to form the Fourier transform of the system, but it does not simplify to something easily sketched by hand.
jegues

Homework Statement

a) Find the unit impulse response h(t) of an audio system that causes two echoes, one occurring at 0.5 seconds and the other one at 1.5 seconds. Please sketch H(w). (Magnitude and phase)

b) Design a system that can eliminate noise coming from the 60Hz power signal (thus noise is an additive 60Hz sinusoid). Derive its time input response h(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt thus far at the solution,

a)

If I have echoes at time 0.5 and 1.5,

[tex]h(t) = \delta(t) + \delta(t-0.5) + \delta(t-1.5)[/tex]

The Fourier transform of this will be,

[tex]H(\omega) = 1 + e^{-j\frac{\omega}{2}} + e^{-j\frac{3\omega}{2}} [/tex]

Is this correct? I am having a hard time figuring out how I am suppose to easily sketch the magnitude and phase of such a function.

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
jegues said:

Homework Statement

a) Find the unit impulse response h(t) of an audio system that causes two echoes, one occurring at 0.5 seconds and the other one at 1.5 seconds. Please sketch H(w). (Magnitude and phase)

b) Design a system that can eliminate noise coming from the 60Hz power signal (thus noise is an additive 60Hz sinusoid). Derive its time input response h(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt thus far at the solution,

a)

If I have echoes at time 0.5 and 1.5,

[tex]h(t) = \delta(t) + \delta(t-0.5) + \delta(t-1.5)[/tex]

The Fourier transform of this will be,

[tex]H(\omega) = 1 + e^{-j\frac{\omega}{2}} + e^{-j\frac{3\omega}{2}} [/tex]

Is this correct? I am having a hard time figuring out how I am suppose to easily sketch the magnitude and phase of such a function.

Thanks again!

Fourier transform looks right (I'm a Laplace man myself, but it's about the same thing).

So, assuming it's right, use the Euler relation on the two exponentials, then use standard method of forming H(ω) = A + jB

magn = √(A2 + B2)
phase = arc tan B/A. Pay attention separately to the signs of A and B (in other words, arc tan (A/-B) ≠ arc tan(-A/B) etc.)

rude man said:
Fourier transform looks right (I'm a Laplace man myself, but it's about the same thing).

So, assuming it's right, use the Euler relation on the two exponentials, then use standard method of forming H(ω) = A + jB

magn = √(A2 + B2)
phase = arc tan B/A. Pay attention separately to the signs of A and B (in other words, arc tan (A/-B) ≠ arc tan(-A/B) etc.)

I've done this, let's just say it doesn't simplify down to something nice that you can sketch by hand. (You'd need a graphing calculator as far as I can tell)

That's why I'm getting frustrated, it's not turning into something I can simply sketch by hand.

jegues said:
I've done this, let's just say it doesn't simplify down to something nice that you can sketch by hand. (You'd need a graphing calculator as far as I can tell)

That's why I'm getting frustrated, it's not turning into something I can simply sketch by hand.

What did you get for magn. and phase as functions of ω? Can't be that bad.

Hello,

Your attempt for part (a) is correct. The unit impulse response for an audio system with two echoes at 0.5 seconds and 1.5 seconds can be represented by the sum of three delta functions, as you have shown.

To sketch the magnitude and phase of the Fourier transform, you can use a graphing calculator or software such as MATLAB to plot the function H(w). Alternatively, you can use the properties of the Fourier transform to simplify the expression and then sketch the magnitude and phase based on the simplified expression.

For part (b), to design a system that can eliminate noise coming from the 60Hz power signal, you can use a notch filter. The transfer function of a notch filter is given by H(\omega) = 1 - e^{-j\omega t}, where t is the time delay. You can set t = \frac{1}{60} seconds to eliminate the 60Hz noise.

Using the inverse Fourier transform, you can derive the time input response h(t) as h(t) = \delta(t) - \delta(t - \frac{1}{60}). This impulse response will eliminate the 60Hz noise in the input signal.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

1. What is a unit impulse response in signals?

A unit impulse response is the output of a system when a single impulse, or spike, is applied as the input signal. It provides information about how the system responds to a sudden change or disturbance.

2. How is the unit impulse response related to signals and systems?

The unit impulse response is a fundamental concept in signals and systems because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a system in response to different input signals. It is also used in convolution to find the output of a system for any given input.

3. What is an ECHO in the context of unit impulse response?

An ECHO is a type of signal that is produced when a sound wave reflects off a surface and returns to the source with a delay. In the context of unit impulse response, an ECHO can be seen as a delayed and attenuated version of the original impulse signal.

4. How can the unit impulse response be used to characterize a system?

The unit impulse response provides important information about a system's characteristics, such as its stability, linearity, and time-invariance. By analyzing the shape and duration of the response, we can understand how the system processes different types of input signals.

5. Can the unit impulse response be measured in real-world systems?

Yes, the unit impulse response can be measured in real-world systems using techniques such as the Dirac delta function, which approximates a perfect impulse, or by performing experiments and recording the system's output for a known input signal. These measurements can then be used to analyze and model the system's behavior.